iConnectivity iConnectAudio4+

Started by Elantric, January 23, 2014, 12:34:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://www.iconnectivity.com/blog/os-x-el-capitanios-9-update

iConnectivity has been aware of and working on resolution of an audio clocking issue found in the latest OS releases OS X El Capitan and iOS9. The issue is when the iConnectivity device is set as the audio clock master and the sample rate is 44.1 kHz or 88.2 kHz, noticeable audible clicks and pops can be heard about every second in outgoing audio from your computing device.

This is a critical issue for iConnectivity and we have spent a lot of time and effort to find and resolve it. What has been discovered is that in these specific situations, the operating system is not keeping up with the samples required by the audio clock master. The graph below shows over the course of time how the OS audio samples continually fall behind the iConnectivity device-provided samples over time.

As audio is very sensitive to lost data and we can only buffer so much time lag; eventually our resynchronization of the timing results in a gap of audio data - generating the audible clock or pop. This is not a result of the firmware in iConnectivity devices nor the device drivers. It is a mismatch in timing and sampling in the core of the operating system, which results in noncompliance with the published developer's standards.

We have been working closely with other parties to get the issue identified and resolved. Most recently, we have been assured that the problem is fixed, and are hopeful to see in next beta releases of the operating systems.

We appreciate your patience. In meantime we recommend making your Mac OS X El Capitan or iOS9 device the audio clock master, which can be done through our iConfig application. If you need to have two computing devices working together, both of course cannot be the audio clock master, so in this case we recommend using 48 kHz or 96 kHz sample rates.

We will be sure to let all our customers know as soon as a fix has been released through the operating system.

admin

find iConnectivity iConnectAudio4+ 
latest firmware and drivers here
http://www.iconnectivity.com/support/downloads

jwhitcomb3

Posted on the iConnectivity web site on 2/10:

We're not ready to pop the corks yet, but the latest beta versions of El Capitan 10.11.4 and iOS 9.3 have fixed the infamous 44.1/88.2kHz clocking issue.

(Bear in mind that this hasn't been a fatal issue, nor is it unique to iConnectivity interfaces! It's just a serious one requiring workarounds, i.e. please read the information in the link carefully.)

For obvious reasons we can't recommend that our users sign up to install public beta operating system software. It may not even be available, because it gets taken down from time to time in between versions.

So this is not the Big Announcement. But that flat blue line in the graph is good news - it shows the time holding steady, rather than going uphill.

jwhitcomb3

My iConnectAudio4+ arrived yesterday, today is packed up and ready for return.  After installing the Mac iConfig app software on my Mac Mini (running El Capitan), the hardware ethernet connection was broken, and required a full restore of my internal hard drive to recover. Lots of other buggy, glitchy problems too, for example, failures updating firmware. Not ready for prime time.

Elantric

My  iConnectAudio4+ remains idle - due to a higher noise floor on its instument inputs compared to my other audio interfaces

jwhitcomb3

I wonder if I could use the MOTU Ultralite AVB to perform the functions I was looking for from the iConnectAudio4+. Namely, I was hoping to exchange audio and MIDI between my Mac and iPad. For instance, I wanted to use my iPad as an external audio source/processor, such as the Korg Module, to receive MIDI from the Mac and send/process audio back to the Mac without converting from digital to analog.

The Ultralite AVB is audio class compliant, and could connect to the iPad via USB, and then then the Mac and iPad could exchange MIDI via MIDI over Bluetooth LE.

___________                               _________
     |  Ultra- |                             |         |
     |  Lite   |<--- Audio via AVB --------->|  ether  |
     |  AVB    |                             |  net    |
     |_________|                             |         |
          |                                  |         |
          | USB                              |    Mac  |
      ____|____                              |         |
     |         |                             |         |
     |   iPad  |<---MIDI via Bluetooth LE--->|         |
     |_________|                             |_________|

IOS is not AVB compliant (Mac OS is). Here, the MAC and Ultralite exchange audio via Ethernet/AVB, while the Ultralite AVB and iPad exchange audio via class compliant USB audio. A web app hosted by the Ultralite AVB would map the USB channels to the AVB channels within the Ultralite AVB.
AVB currently does not transmit MIDI via Ethernet, so that's why a Bluetooth LE MIDI connection would be made.

The Ultralite AVB would serve as the clock source for the system.

Anyone have any thoughts on this setup?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Elantric

Contact MOTU Support and see what they say.

jwhitcomb3

MOTU responds:

If this users' Mac is a thunderbolt enabled computer running 10.10. or later, they can connect it directly to the Ultralite AVB with Ethernet and pass audio back and forth to both devices.

Woo!

Elantric

If this users' Mac is a thunderbolt enabled computer running 10.10. or later, they can connect it directly to the Ultralite AVB with Ethernet and pass audio back and forth to both devices.

Id like top see an updated diagram showing the communication paths

jwhitcomb3

From my reading of the UltraLite AVB manual (found here: http://www.motu.com/techsupport/manuals ), the UltraLite AVB connects to the iPad using USB (audio class compliant device). The UltraLite AVB hosts a web application that allows configuring the audio router, and the USB channels ("computer channels") may be mapped to the AVB network channels. The UltraLite AVB's AVB port is connected to the Mac's Ethernet port via a cat5e or cat6 cable. Since the Mac OS 10.10 supports AVB, the AVB network channels can be accessed via your DAW.

From the manual:

SETTING UP A MOTU AVB INTERFACE FOR NETWORKING Depending on the model,MOTU AVB interfaces have the ability to broadcast up to sixteen 8-channel streams to the rest of the network. Conversely, it can "listen" to as many as sixteen 8-channel streams from anywhere else in the network. The specific number of streams supported depends on the model.
For each device on the network, set it up for network operation as follows:
1 In the MOTU AVB Control web app, choose the device (item #1 on page 12).
2 Go to the Device tab (item #5 on page 12), go to theAVBStreamSetupsection(item#18on
page 13), and type in the number of 8-channel input and output streams you want for that device.
3 Go to the AVB Stream Connections section (item #19 on page 13), and choose the network stream you want the device to listen to for each bank.
4 Use the Routing tab to map specific I/O channelswithineachMOTUAVBinterfacetoits network input and output streams, as explained in the next section.

MAPPING AUDIO TO NETWORK STREAMS
Once you've configured a device's AVB streams, as explained above, use the Routing tab (page 14) to map audio channels to network input and output streams.
Input streams (coming from the rest of the network) are listed across the top of the routing grid. Expand the stream and click on the grid to map incoming network channels to local destinations, including physical outputs on the device, computer channels (to a connected computer), or mixer channels.
Output streams being broadcast to the rest of the network are listed in rows along the left side of the grid. Expand each stream bank and map individual network output channels to local sources, such as physical inputs on the interface, channels coming from the computer, or channels coming from the device's mixer.

MAPPING COMPUTER CHANNELS TO NETWORK STREAMS
If a host computer is connected to an interface (through USB), mapping network input and output streams is accomplished as described in the previous two sections. Simply enable AVB streams as desired, and map them to computer channels in theRoutinggrid.
If, while mapping, you run out of computer channels, enable more in the Computer Setup section of the Device tab (item #24 on page 13). If the computer is connected with Thunderbolt (to a MOTU interface that supports it), you can enable a maximum of 128 channels in and out. If the computer is connected with USB, performance will vary, depending on the sample rate and other factors.

Elantric

Any MOTU AVB gear owners here?
Curious what the Audio latency is when using the Ethernet port for a AVB connection to a mac?

http://www.motu.com/avb/avb-faq

I find this review
http://www.audiotechnology.com.au/wp/index.php/motu-1248-ultralite-avb-networkable-audio-interfaces/
LATENCY GAP
The latency specs on MOTU'S AVB network are extremely good. The standard AVB protocol specifies a fixed latency of 2ms, but MOTU has managed to claw back some digits for a fixed network latency of 0.625ms, which is staggeringly low. And that's fixed over an entire network of up to 512 channels, with up to seven switches and hundreds of metres of cable. You have to add a skerrick of time for internal processing, but you can expect to shoot things around the AVB network in under 1ms when you factor in internal DSP, etc.
Measuring the actual roundtrip latency of the 1248 interface over Thunderbolt returned a result of 70 samples, which equates to about 1.4ms at 48k, plus double whatever buffer you're using. It's very good, and if you're operating at 96k, with a low 32 sample buffer, your total round trip latency will be within that 1.4ms mark — super snappy. This puts it at level pegging with the RME Fireface 802 according to the latency tests Andrew Bencina recorded in Issue 105. The latency over USB is not far behind, and if you have a Mac running Yosemite you can also connect directly to the computer via an ethernet cable, but the performance is more computer dependent.

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on February 29, 2016, 10:09:25 AM
I wonder if I could use the MOTU Ultralite AVB to perform the functions I was looking for from the iConnectAudio4+. Namely, I was hoping to exchange audio and MIDI between my Mac and iPad. For instance, I wanted to use my iPad as an external audio source/processor, such as the Korg Module, to receive MIDI from the Mac and send/process audio back to the Mac without converting from digital to analog.

The Ultralite AVB is audio class compliant, and could connect to the iPad via USB, and then then the Mac and iPad could exchange MIDI via MIDI over Bluetooth LE.

IOS is not AVB compliant (Mac OS is). Here, the MAC and Ultralite exchange audio via Ethernet/AVB, while the Ultralite AVB and iPad exchange audio via class compliant USB audio. A web app hosted by the Ultralite AVB would map the USB channels to the AVB channels within the Ultralite AVB.
AVB currently does not transmit MIDI via Ethernet, so that's why a Bluetooth LE MIDI connection would be made.

Thanks,

Jonathan

The Ultralite AVB arrived today. I only had time for a basic proof of concept test, but so far, so good. Still need to get some clocking issues sorted out, but running MIDI via BlueTooth to the iPad and mixing audio from the iPad Korg Module and Mac based soft synths, and it all sounded seamless and integrated.

Edited to add: there was no clocking issue: I was getting some pops that went away when I increased my Mac DAW (Digital Performer 9) buffer from 64 to 128 samples.

Elantric

Discussion regarding the noise in the audio signal path for iConnectAudio4+ when using PG BIAS Amp modeling on iPad and iMac.
http://www.iconnectivity.com/forum#/discussion/1293/noise-when-using-electric-guitar

I confirm the Line-6 SonicPortVX's instrument preamp's audio path does a superior job with much lower hiss and noise compared to iConnectAudio4+

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: jwhitcomb3 on February 29, 2016, 10:09:25 AM

Thanks,

Jonathan

FWIW, this setup may work in the future, but for right now, IOS uses a 44.1KHz sample rate, and MacOS AVB only supports multiples of 48 KHz. The iPad accepts the UltraLite's 48K external clock, but uses it as a 44.1K clock. I have no idea if Apple will ever support an AVB clock rate of 44.1KHz.

Elantric

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/24847108/

Claudel wrote>
I've posted this before...

I like Auria and Yonac ToneStack for bass, ToneStack & Bias for guitar...

Building the half-rack was an interesting project, but I'd probably not do it again.

Parts were expensive, and I needed help from a friend with power tools...

There's only two actual devices in it, anyway.

Smash

Just got an audio4+ - incredibly flexible and allows me to run ftp and midi pedal board in which is what I desparately wanted. I would say a little noisier than my outgoing track dock for guitar input - it seems more susceptible to guitar position and picking up interference for some reason. Finding I need to use a noise gate with Bias FX which I didn't before.

The ease of sending midi and audio between iPad and pc is awesome though.

admin

Quote from: Smash on February 03, 2020, 02:17:19 PM
Just got an audio4+ - incredibly flexible and allows me to run ftp and midi pedal board in which is what I desparately wanted. I would say a little noisier than my outgoing track dock for guitar input - it seems more susceptible to guitar position and picking up interference for some reason. Finding I need to use a noise gate with Bias FX which I didn't before.

The ease of sending midi and audio between iPad and pc is awesome though.

^ Same here with my  iConnectAudio4+  - the noise floor of the preamps  and headphone output is rather average to noisy

as I wrote i 2016

QuoteMy  iConnectAudio4+ remains idle - due to a higher noise floor on its instument inputs compared to my other audio interfaces

admin

How's the hiss and  noise floor ?

My iConnectAudio4+ is unusable

admin

Quote from:  Bluesbird on July 21, 2021, 12:02:09 PM
My signal flow is SY-1000 to line inputs 1 and 2 of the Audio4c. I then process the SY-1000 using Eventide H9 plugins on my iPad and route this into Ableton Live. It is completely quiet with a low noise floor and no ground loop issues.

The Mic Preamps were the source of noise on my iConnectAudio4+