Hi how do I connect a gk3 pickup to a desktop synth please :)

Started by threaders, May 19, 2022, 03:46:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threaders

Hi
after trying a few options I am left with the option of having a gk3 pickup professionally installed and then connecting it to the midi in on my synth. I believe I need a midi host or something to connect the 13pin lead to midi in then midi out to the synth can anyone tell me what options there are. Many thanks for all your help cheers :)

admin

GK-3 is not a MIDI pickup,
it requires an additionl GK Processor that coverts guitar to MIDI
Older GR-30,GR-30, accomplish this well, and include internal dual PCM Synth engones that double as MIDI Tone modules that support separate MIDI Channel per string - for independent string bending.

GI-20 is guitar to MIDI only

GR-55 is jack of all trades,

GP-10 can drive computer soft synths  - but requires additiona; hardware to drive hardware synths via 5 pin MIDI

The Fishman Tripleplay is populkar as it tracks guitar to MIDI faster than above

Then there are "VGuitar systems which have faster near instantaneous response to your playing  - faster than guitar to MIDI

VG-8, VG-88, VG-99, GP-10, GR-55, SY-1000 fall into this category

ultimate guitar to MIDI in 2022 is probably the ROR MIDI Guitar from UK

threaders

Hi
many thanks for the info its much appreciated. so if I bought the boss gp10 could I go out from that to the midi in on a synth or would I still need a midi host? thanks so much for your time, cheers :)

admin

Quote from: threaders on May 19, 2022, 04:25:31 AMHi
many thanks for the info its much appreciated. so if I bought the boss gp10 could I go out from that to the midi in on a synth or would I still need a midi host? thanks so much for your time, cheers :)

GP-10 has USB out only - they designed to drive soft synth plugin in your DAW app running on PC/Mac

if you seek to drive third party hardware synths via 5 pin MIDI  - a gently used GR-30, GR-33, GI-20 work well

GR-55 abit less well

GP-10 will require a Primovasound MIDX-20 adapter to convert its non USB Class compliant MIDI over USB into 5 pin MIDI
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17561.0

the VG-99, SY-1000 have modes that can drive 5 pin MIDI via their 5 pin MIDI Outputs

admin

Andertons UK sells the Roland GK-KIT GT3 internal kit lowest cost on earth and ships to USA

read the thread here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133.0

threaders

Hi many thanks for the info and for your time its much appreciated.
I live in the uk but the kit would be too invasive for my guitar as its an expensive archtop. At the moment im using a g2mv3 going into a novation peak, Its very simple but there is latency so im looking for a better option.
Ive tried the gr55 and boss sy300 but i dont like the sounds much so I would like to buy a synth that has my favourite sounds on it and control it with a guitar.
What do I need to get the gi20 running? I have also looked at the rmc ghost loaded pickups but they are in the states and I would struggle to get someone to fit it in the uk. Thanks for your time and help it is really appreciated thanks

admin

Quote from: threaders on May 19, 2022, 05:06:22 AMHi many thanks for the info and for your time its much appreciated.
I live in the uk but the kit would be too invasive for my guitar as its an expensive archtop. At the moment im using a g2mv3 going into a novation peak, Its very simple but there is latency so im looking for a better option.
Ive tried the gr55 and boss sy300 but i dont like the sounds much so I would like to buy a synth that has my favourite sounds on it and control it with a guitar.
What do I need to get the gi20 running? I have also looked at the rmc ghost loaded pickups but they are in the states and I would struggle to get someone to fit it in the uk. Thanks for your time and help it is really appreciated thanks

A GK-2A or GK-3 can work with the GI-20

details on the GK13 pin cable signals
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=14088.0

Many folks in your situation use a mac  or windows or iPad running
Jam Origin "MIDI GUITAR" application, to trigger AU/VSTI soft synths 

the Xtone Pro is a goood low latency audio interface for guitar to computer for many tasks

Antonuzzo

Quote from: threaders on May 19, 2022, 05:06:22 AMIve tried the gr55 and boss sy300 but i dont like the sounds much so I would like to buy a synth that has my favourite sounds on it and control it with a guitar.

Another option (once you have the GK-3 installed) is to look at some of the older Boss / Roland units. You can pick up a GR-09 quite cheaply – not the best sounds, but it has MIDI out to drive your synths with.

That said, the MIDI output is a lot faster on the newer Roland kit. The GR-09 tracks pretty well with its built-in sounds, but latency is present when you drive another device. The GR-55 is quite snappy, I've found.

threaders

Hi
many thanks for the comments and advice it really is appreciated. Ive done some reading on this forum about the gi20, g50 and it looks like the g50 has faster tracking than the gi20 but im thinking of going for the axon ax100. so I would use gk3 pickup, axon ax100 into a hardware synth. I wonder if that would be the best option :)

admin

Quote from: threaders on May 19, 2022, 06:43:22 AMHi
many thanks for the comments and advice it really is appreciated. Ive done some reading on this forum about the gi20, g50 and it looks like the g50 has faster tracking than the gi20 but im thinking of going for the axon ax100. so I would use gk3 pickup, axon ax100 into a hardware synth. I wonder if that would be the best option :)

Axon use older GK-2A, Axon Aix-103, Yamah G1D - which all have higher output level signal vs GK-3

also Axon went bankrupt in 2008, and zero drivers for modern OS - will not work on latest 64 bit only Win11, MacOS M1 systems

threaders

Hi
so I ended up buying an axon ax50 and a roland gk3 pickup but I cant get the led to light up when I connect everything. Im using two new 13pin cables and a brand new pickup. are there any differences between the gk cable and the axon ax50 cable? many thanks :)

admin

Both use same cable

Axon is 15 years old  - around the same time electrolytic capacitors in power supply fail on most gear

threaders

Hi many thanks for the info. Ive been able to return the axon for a refund I think a gr55 is next on the list. Its a shame as I didnt like the sounds on the gr55 when I last tried it but if it allows me to play the sounds from my novation peak then ill try it again and see how it goes. thanks again :)

DreamTheory

GR-55 makes a great controller for my computer VSTs which are 'hosted' by my DAW, (Cubase). It works just fine but there are some considerations at times of latency. Less of an issue when using 'slow' sounds like pads or depending on what type of music you are playing. Fast strumming a zither VST might be more tricky than just picking a medium tempo single note flute VST.

I understand why people "don't like the sounds in the GR-55" and in a sense I agree  - they can seem 'plastic' or 'fake' or 'cheesy' or 'dated;' however, you have to take into account several factors.

1) The preset patches I mostly never use at all. They are useful for demonstration and instruction (edifying to analyze how they work)

2) Did you really take a tour of all the PCM tones? It would be hard not to like any of the 900 or so tones that are there, unless you just dislike synthesizers. It has samples of lots of types of synths from various decades as well as non-synth instruments. If there are 30 amazing sounds actually that is pretty good yield.

3) The PCM tones need to be 'massaged' using the many tools and effects available. Tones that you do not like 'as is' may become spectacular, given the right treatment.

4) Do not overlook the all analog models, my favorite part of the GR-55. Wow, they are versatile. Again, they require coaxing. If you ever heard an electric violin (or electric guitar, for that matter) pickup just dry vs processed, you understand that a mousey little sound can become so much more, depending on what you do with it.

5) This box is about blending, layering, and crafting. The parameters go deeeeeeep. You can save it all in a patch and come back years later.

6) VSTs are great, but they aren't plug 'n' play boxes. Do you want to be computer dependent?

7) Did I mention the gajillion stomps built in.

8) You get a foot pedal and a CTL switch and a few other physical controls you can use in real time. You can use these on your VSTs too. Not all rigs offer as much physical control.

I will stop gushing because I do not want to sound argumentative. We each have different needs, likes, goals, budgets, etc. GR-55 requires a love of tweaking and patience with workarounds. 

Honestly if I wasn't such a GR-55 nut, I'd get a suite of Meris pedals and be totally analog for guitar synth, and use a keyboard controller for VSTs. But I just have too much fun playing all sorts of stuff off of a fretboard.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008