GT-5 - Firmware 1.07

Started by kasblues, May 28, 2021, 02:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasblues

Hello,I just update my Boss GT-5 EPROM from Firmware 1.03 to 1.07.
Now the wha-wha and the pedal volume doesn't work anymore,but when I change the Chip back to Firmware 1.03 everything works fine.Could it be that this Eprom 1.07 has been flashed badly?I payed 10 Euros online very cheap.
Any suggestions opinions?

Thank's.

gumtown

You will need to do a factory reset of the GT-5 as the user patches will still be saved with firmware 1.03 data.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

kasblues

I have done that,but it didn't work.So I tried Fx Set reset too and still nothing,then I did a System and FX reset with the battery out,

Then put the battery back in and it worked!
Hope this might help someone in the future.

Thank you for your advice!

jlamsens

Also having the GT-5 firmware version 1.03

Any reason why you upgraded to version 1.07? I read that it is necessary for "editor support" and "patch loading". Correct? If so:
- where exactly did you buy your eeprom?
- difficult to install or just "a click away"?
- what software are you using? GT-5 Fx FloorBoard? GT-5 Editor? GT Manager?
- what cable are you using to connect the GT-5 MIDI to your PC?

Thanks in advance!

admin

https://reverb.com/item/25575262-boss-gt-5-os-version-1-07-eprom-firmware-upgrade-kit-new-rom-update-chip-with-service-manual-gt5

Boss GT-5 OS version 1.07 EPROM Firmware Upgrade KIT
This version 1.07 is the latest known operating system firmware issued by Boss for the GT-5.
Included will be 1 new EPROM chip to complete the upgrade.
Keep in mind that the GT-5 itself is not for sale, only the EPROM upgrade chip is.

The 1.07 firmware upgrade is said to contain several bug fixes, improved stability in some cases and finalized system code optimizations.
GT-5 units that are running pre 1.02 firmware are unfortunately incompatible with this 1.07 upgrade. The reason for this is Boss required hardware modifications to be made to the mainboard in order to run any firmware beyond 1.02.
With that being said, it is best to verify which firmware revision is currently installed in your GT-5: 1- Enter Test Mode by pressing [PEDAL ASSIGN] and [NAME] buttons and then turn on the GT-5. 2- You will now be prompted with the version number. If you already have the 1.07 upgrade, you will see "GT-5 Ver. 1.07" on the screen.

Be sure to review GT-5 Service Manual
https://www.synthxl.com/boss-gt-5/

jlamsens

First of all, thanks for the quick reply! For 14 euro + 6 euro transport cost, I found such an EPROM on Ebay.

The sole purpose of buying that EPROM, is because I want to play with "GT-5 Fx FloorBoard" (so I can help to make the software even better), so before I buy it, I would like to know a few things:

1. is the EPROM installation easy, like in "unclicking the existing EPROM/clicking the new EPROM with your fingers" or does it involve soldering? (don't find any info on that and don't want to break my GT-5)

2. can anyone point me to a (couple of) "GT-5 MIDI to PC cable solutions" that work out-of-the-box on Windows10 (or Linux) that are easy to find in Europe? (music stores, ... I live in Belgium)

3. any other issues I may run into using "GT-5 Fx FloorBoard"

And Gumtown, if you read this, thank you very much for your efforts on developing that software! As a fellow programmer and Linux system engineer myself, I appreciate that!

Best regards,
Jurgen L.

gumtown

Quote from: jlamsens on November 08, 2021, 02:01:27 AM
First of all, thanks for the quick reply! For 14 euro + 6 euro transport cost, I found such an EPROM on Ebay.

The sole purpose of buying that EPROM, is because I want to play with "GT-5 Fx FloorBoard" (so I can help to make the software even better), so before I buy it, I would like to know a few things:

1. is the EPROM installation easy, like in "unclicking the existing EPROM/clicking the new EPROM with your fingers" or does it involve soldering? (don't find any info on that and don't want to break my GT-5)

2. can anyone point me to a (couple of) "GT-5 MIDI to PC cable solutions" that work out-of-the-box on Windows10 (or Linux) that are easy to find in Europe? (music stores, ... I live in Belgium)

And Gumtown, if you read this, thank you very much for your efforts on developing that software! As a fellow programmer and Linux system engineer myself, I appreciate that!

Best regards,
Jurgen L.

The EPROM chip is plug in, but are very tight in the socket.
The proper tool is a chip puller, as using a screwdriver under the ends can damage the circuit board.
The same chip puller tool usually shapes/bends the chip DIP pins to match the socket (if it is a good professional one).

I always recommend the Roland UM-One mkii USB/midi adapter, it works on every device/operating system.

There are a very few minor issues with the GT-5 and sysx communication, being from the GT-5 itself, most likely from it being 1990"s generation slow CPU, and port data rate timing. (a little flakey at times), but over all it's oK.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

Quote from: jlamsens on November 08, 2021, 02:01:27 AM

Best regards,
Jurgen L.

Check current GT-5 version 1st , it must already be FW 1.02 or newer. Can't upgrade units running FW 1.00- 1.01

QuoteGT-5 units that are running pre 1.02 firmware are unfortunately incompatible with this 1.07 upgrade

TheKing

Hi, I've had a GT-5 since about 1997 and have used it on and off through the years but always struggled with the patch editing.

I stumbled upon this thread and fancied using the pc editing software but my GT-5 is currently running 1.03 firmware. I've ordered a 1.07 eprom which should arrive in a few days.

Just wondering about removing the chip - @gumtown suggested a "chip puller" would be required - looking online there seems to be lots of different types (and prices)

Can anyone suggest one that would be suitable for removing the GT-5 chip? I really dont want to break the GT5

Thanks

wildschwein

Quote from: admin on March 27, 2022, 02:33:19 PMhttps://www.amazon.com/Jonard-EX-2-Extraction-Tool-24-40/dp/B006C3Y8IY/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=chip+puller&qid=1648416746&sr=8-3

That item on Amazon looks the business. I must admit I did the upgrade without using a chip puller. I just pulled out the 1.03 chip and replaced it with the 1.07 chip. Worked fine for me but if you want to play it safer than me pick up the puller.