Boss Pocket GT

Started by Antonuzzo, September 17, 2020, 02:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smash

I'd agree they have made use of every bit if the "GT" animal sticking it in every package format bundled with a load of old, some very old, FX algorithms.

And valid point about GR55 - hasn't that been a really good seller for them? Certainly had a long shelf life.

It feels like - from what I've read about SY1k - their g2m is stuck in a rut a bit.

Innovation to me feels like GR55 re0lacement (roll out tga GT stuff again) but 1/4 inch with MG2 licensed integration with internal sounds tailored for MG2 response plus midi out also.

admin

Quote from: Smash on October 17, 2020, 09:29:26 AM
I'd agree they have made use of every bit if the "GT" animal sticking it in every package format bundled with a load of old, some very old, FX algorithms.

And valid point about GR55 - hasn't that been a really good seller for them? Certainly had a long shelf life.

It feels like - from what I've read about SY1k - their g2m is stuck in a rut a bit.

Innovation to me feels like GR55 re0lacement (roll out tga GT stuff again) but 1/4 inch with MG2 licensed integration with internal sounds tailored for MG2 response plus midi out also.

never going to happen
Their culture thrives with prejudice against competing companies similar tech ( "not invented here")

BROCKSTAR

"Boss is really trying to suck every ounce of money they can out of the GT platform"

They did the same with COSM for years and now they'll do it with their AIRD platform as well.

admin

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on October 17, 2020, 10:52:27 AM
"Boss is really trying to suck every ounce of money they can out of the GT platform"

They did the same with COSM for years and now they'll do it with their AIRD platform as well.

Lets all just play more guitar
( or join the line6 forum ;)

gumtown

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on October 17, 2020, 10:52:27 AM

It is good to have more options and choices.
Some product lines might not suit us here, but elsewhere they probably hit the market nail on the head.
As they say about one man's treasure.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

nacho1000

Quote from: nacho1000 on October 07, 2020, 05:39:45 PM
Does anybody know if this Pocket GT includes a good metronome?

Thanks

I have read the manual and apparently there is not a metronome in it. If this is the case, it is a pity for a training machine.

Anybody can confirm whether there is one in it?

BuleriaChk

I think Boss hit it  out of the park again; the Pocket Pod is not even close (but I'm sure they're watching, and will be replacing the PP shortly ....).
The Pocket GT is exactly that - a GT-1 that 0u pu actually can put in your pocket (which sounds great, battery operated, bluetooth, with an editor that works just fine IMO).  My only quibble I have to remember preset numbers instead of names.... but I only need one or two presets anyway for the effects I want....

For me,sounds great and I really can put it in my pocket.  And the XVive systems work great!

cjbyron

I gotta agree that the cords are a hassle.   But more than that, how would a person use this with headphones and youtube?  You can't. Becauase the only thing you can hear on headphones is the guitar. Which of course will make it so you cannot hear the youtube video they market about so heavily. What's the point of that? 

To me it is two things in one that cannot work together.  A pocket FX with headphones for your guitar (not worth $250), OR, a youtube controller with -+/ control (still not worth 250).

I like the youtube controls but you still need to use hand instead of maybe an option foot pedal.  Not much different than tapping an ipad for 10 sec +/- right?

I wish someone made a you tube footswitch that did what this does. Now THAT would be useful for online stuff. And even better, not JUST youtube.  I mean how about video in general. What if youtube down or internet down. (it happens). And you tube changes quit often so will it need firmware updates constantyl like other youtube "controllers"?  Anyone have the answers?

Luckily I can still return this thing. I wanted to like it. I really did. I like the FXs for what it is, they sound okay (compared to apples vs apples , i.e. small package like little vox thingys) but I cannot justify the $250+ for something I just can't find a use for.

Am I missing something here? Why the heck did they not include the youtube audio in the headphones! Or an alternate footswitch input. MAYBE then I could overlook using something with a cord to headphones and guitar in 2020.

admin

QuoteBut more than that, how would a person use this with headphones and youtube

You pair your smartphone to Pocket GT as a Bluetooth playback device , and monitor both YouTube Audio and Pocket GT Guitar Audio to Headphones connected to the Pocket GT

(Same as I do with $60 NUX MIGHTY PLUG)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=27352.0

Or feed the Pocket GT 3.5mm TRS Aux Input from your headphone output of your smartphone or laptop

cjbyron

Too bad they don't put that in their really poor instructions. I'd have tried that but I returned the thing.
But I don't want to use a phone to do this anyway. Funny how some iphones can do things ipads cannot.
The ability to place markers and a loop etc. was a plus, however, it's supposed to make things easier, not more time consuming. It just took too long.

I think I'll just keep looking around for maybe a foot controller that can operate with youtube on an ipad.  There are some usb foot controllers but they only work on computer via usb. So far I've not seen any bluetooth enabled foot controller that works with ipad (or anything except computer/usb).

admin

Quote from: cjbyron on December 21, 2020, 09:43:00 AMToo bad they don't put that in their really poor instructions. I'd have tried that but I returned the thing.
But I don't want to use a phone to do this anyway. Funny how some iphones can do things ipads cannot.
The ability to place markers and a loop etc. was a plus, however, it's supposed to make things easier, not more time consuming. It just took too long.

I think I'll just keep looking around for maybe a foot controller that can operate with youtube on an ipad.  There are some usb foot controllers but they only work on computer via usb. So far I've not seen any bluetooth enabled foot controller that works with ipad (or anything except computer/usb).

MeloAudio Tone Shifter TS Mega

https://meloaudio.com/collections/tone-shifter/products/meloaudio-tone-shifter-ts-mega-audio-interface-w-midi-foot-controller

Xsonic Airstep has BLE Bluetooth

But must run Eaton Plan GTMan app on android

cjbyron

Thanks I'll take a closer look.

Quick look doesn't show it works with ipad video (as in jump back, fwd, etc.). It does lots of other things I don't need so maybe overkill.  I just want something that jumps the video on youtube (or my own video stored) fwd, back, etc.

The reviews on there aren't the best as it seems people are not getting their product.  Seems typical these days though.

admin

Just use any generic Bluetooth typing keyboard and use YouTube  advanced Keyboard Controls
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7631406?hl=en

cjbyron

Yeah I looked at several "bluetooth foot controllers" on amazon.  Seems they are mostly for page turning on PDF, etc.  So far I've not seen any that say they will integrate with youtube or other video on your device.

With as much out there on youtube or other such videos online I'm surprised nothing specific.  Oh Well.

sevastopo

Quote from: mdortona on October 17, 2020, 08:36:16 AM
Big meh.....Reminds me of the old Korg Pandora. So what can I do with this that I can't do with an iPad/iPhone, a few free apps and headphones, other than have the "hallowed" GT models?. It does have some cute features, but not $249 worth. I own a GT-1000 and know its strengths and shortcomings. IMHO, Boss is really trying to suck every ounce of money they can out of the GT platform, generally ignore their users' feedback, and remain behind the curve vs the competition. The thing is overpriced as well (just like the GTCore). I wish they would make something their users really want like a freaking updated GR-55!

Yes, I am 200% agree with you!!! 10 years ago they produced GR-55 and as I know they not plan to start the new GR...

BuleriaChk

One of the most powerful aspects of the Pocket GT is that you can use it into the Aux In of any amp as an FRFR solution with the patches/effects of the GT-1 (which are excellent), and add Bluetooth backing tracks (and edit) from your iOS device.  For example, as inputs to the highly portable Mobile Cube series, or as inputs to the Microcube or Street Cube series, which (to me) gives a much better sound than those native to the amps.  Or any of the other modeling mini-amps (or amps) you might have kicking around.

(I would post this to the Gear Page, but got banned when I complained about a name for a mfx that was uncomfortable to me (although probably unintentional by those that referred to it.  So feel free to make this suggestion to GP in my stead; I think someone might consider it in that contest.)

admin

Quote from: BuleriaChk on May 10, 2022, 04:21:30 PMOne of the most powerful aspects of the Pocket GT is that you can use it into the Aux In of any amp as an FRFR solution with the patches/effects of the GT-1 (which are excellent), and add Bluetooth backing tracks (and edit) from your iOS device.  For example, as inputs to the highly portable Mobile Cube series, or as inputs to the Microcube or Street Cube series, which (to me) gives a much better sound than those native to the amps.  Or any of the other modeling mini-amps (or amps) you might have kicking around.

(I would post this to the Gear Page, but got banned when I complained about a name for a mfx that was uncomfortable to me (although probably unintentional by those that referred to it.  So feel free to make this suggestion to GP in my stead; I think someone might consider it in that contest.)

Although in 2022 - the MOOER PRIME P1, NUX Mighty Plug Pro offer more use IMHO

Thanks to third party apps, the regular Boss GT-1 becomes very powerful  - but for Android users

Added support for Pocket  GT

Eaton Plan GT-1 MAN app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.eatonplan.gt1man.pro&hl=en_US&gl=US
User Guide : https://www.eatonplan.com/forum/gt1-man/gt1man-user-guide

just add a $15 Bluetooth Audio receiver to the GT-1 3.5mm TRS Stereo Aux Input jack to receive backing tracks from a smartphone via Bluetooth

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B097Y8NF4H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BuleriaChk

I also have a Mooer Prime P1, and it is excellent as well (and also yields bluetooth). 
I also have the very excellent GT-1, but it is slightly too big and I don't need the foot pedal.
The main problem for me is sorting out which cable/adapter goes with which device... :)

admin

Due to global IC shortage, Pocket GT now uses 24 bit CODEC, as the AKM 32 bit codec IC is not available

https://www.boss.info/global/support/support_news/2201141700/

2020 - 2021 Pocket GT with S/N A4Mxxxx =32 bit

Late 2021 to current Pocket GT with S/N A8Mxxxx =24 bit

BuleriaChk

I just tried the Pocket GT using the headphone out into the Aux In of my new Sony XG300 (using a wireless from my guitar to the Pocket GT and Bluetooth from my iPad touch (I had already set up patches from Tone Studio on my Win11 computer, so the gain and OD/Dist controls were sufficient.  I controlled Bluetooth backing tracks I had created myself, and everything worked flawlessly - the Sony is more FRFR than its competitors, especially with the flat preset, although I can turn up the Bass if I need it - seems to affect the backing tracks much more than changing the tone of the patch.

But the Sony XG300 sounded great for practice and small rooms, and I can use its USB output to recharge both the GT AND the wireless (xVive) if necessary.  (It also sounds great with my GT-1, GT-001, GT1000Core, GX-1000 - and, yes, my Hx Stomp.  It probably also sounds good with my Pod Go, but I haven't tried that yet....

Bill Ruppert

The pocket GT sounds GREAT.
I get my studio sound through ear buds. Amazing unit.
Best sounding headphone amp I have ever heard, A+++

admin

k

admin

Quote from: nacho1000 on October 07, 2020, 05:39:45 PMDoes anybody know if this Pocket GT includes a good metronome?

Thanks

No metronome

but could Bluetooth audio pair - and listen to BPM metronome from Youtube

Thru the Pocket GT app - supports a tuner ( Missing on NUX MIGHTY Plug)

https://www.boss.info/global/support/knowledge_base/?product=pocket+gt

admin

Quote from: cjbyron on December 21, 2020, 11:55:47 AMThanks I'll take a closer look.

Quick look doesn't show it works with ipad video (as in jump back, fwd, etc.). It does lots of other things I don't need so maybe overkill.  I just want something that jumps the video on youtube (or my own video stored) fwd, back, etc.

The reviews on there aren't the best as it seems people are not getting their product.  Seems typical these days though.

https://www.boss.info/global/support/knowledge_base/360049601071/
Pocket GT: Cannot control the (Apple) music app (rewind, forward, etc.) with the remote control buttons.
Back to Results

When the BOSS TONE STUDIO for Pocket GT is not connected, the remote control buttons on the unit work using Bluetooth AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile) . Hence, you cannot control apps that do not support Bluetooth AVRCP by using the remote control buttons on the unit.

- The behavior on the browser and the dedicated app may be different.
- See also the related Q&A "The remote control function does not work."

https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/Pocket-GT_BTS_PC_eng04_W.pdf

admin

M