GP-10 - Another Transmission from Deep Space

Started by MusicOverGear, April 22, 2015, 07:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MusicOverGear

This audio signal was picked up by Madrid Deep Space Monitoring Station starting at 0:45:42 GMT this morning. It originated within Kepler 444 system, which astronomers estimate puts its origin date in October of 1975. A blue ribbon panel of scientists is being assembled to study the transmission for groove, freshness, and melodic sensibility.

Most curious of all, the audio transmission concluded with a binary code that seems to be encoded serial data. NASA consultant Herbie Hancock has organized this data into the Extensible Markup Language (XML) formatted TSL file, which can be opened by astronomy fans everywhere using the popular Boss GP-10 Guitar Processor. Dr. Hancock attached the official statement, "The treadle is mod wheel."

A press conference has been scheduled for 18:00:00 GMT and will be streamed live from NASA.org

Elantric

Fun stuff

One minor point

I renamed the thread

"GP-10 - Another Transmission from Deep Space"

Since we now have 13,000 members and support multiple products, we now prefer to preface each post with an abbreviated name of the intended product. So start new posts in the GP-10 areas with "GP-10 -  . . . . . "

joaobraga

The astronomy fans will now study the subject.

Thanks MOG

mbenigni

Best marketing copy for a Roland patch to date.  :)

MusicOverGear

LOL thanks guys. Elantric I take your point and I will remember that in the future.

BTW CTL1 is octave up like a Pat Metheny solo.

ainsoph

macman70

this may work well on a track in the style of Stevie Wonder, I could see that would fit the melody of a tune like "isn't she lovely"

Just pointing it out, I may be way off

Anyways cool tone, thanks!

MusicOverGear

Macman yeah totally. Also Maze, 70's fusion era Ramsey Lewis (e.g. the synth on Sun Goddess is ridiculous), and many more.

My wife has a friend from work who just retired and moved into a retirement home. She gave me all her old vinyl records, including a lot of stuff I never heard of before but was apparently popular back in the day. Old Freddie Hubbard, Quincy Jones albums I never heard of... There was a Herbie record called The Secret I'd never listened to - thought I was a Herbie fan LOL - that is pretty much straight funk.

Anyway, listening to those old records it strikes me that they squeezed a LOT of creativity out of the simple pure waveforms. You will hear a lot of pure Square waves on records from that time, with creative envelope shaping. IMHO they had a better sense back then for programming a simple, effective sound to the track. Maybe because those were the days before presets, so they had to adjust by ear every time.

Nowadays in mainstream music they have X-part multis where they feel like they have to have something really novel and complex on every part of every track.

BTW a good example counter to that trend is Chris Brown's Loyal from a couple years ago. I did a cover of that in the Patch Exchange and it is based off a lot of pure square waves. Also Katy Perry This Is How We Do, also an exercise in simple waveforms - I think the ethic was chip tune sounds from ES2 or similar synth.