Boss GP-10 - How to implement 5 pin MIDI I/O with Raspberry Pi

Started by loulea, July 31, 2014, 01:22:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwest

Thanks for the info on the PrimovaSound MIDX-10. I've done allot of work with arduino - teensy, and can probably do it with one of those as well. My GP-10 hasn't arrived yet. New to the forum.

gumtown

Quote from: jwest on October 02, 2015, 07:01:29 PM
Thanks for the info on the PrimovaSound MIDX-10. I've done allot of work with arduino - teensy, and can probably do it with one of those as well. My GP-10 hasn't arrived yet. New to the forum.
Keep in mind the GP-10 and most Boss USB midi gear is not class compliant,
an Arduino Host USB shield won't work out of the box, and will require special code written to accommodate the Boss USB end points.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sixeight

Quote from: jwest on October 02, 2015, 07:01:29 PM

If you are handy with Teensy, this may be of interest to you:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15154.msg116827#new

Did go for the MIDX-10. As it is the most reliable solution for Midi.

loulea

Quote from: guitarman2uk on August 28, 2015, 03:10:58 AM
Hi guys - loving this forum even more now and can't wait to get my GP-10 which is being shipped as we speak!

Would someone be kind enough to do a full tutorial video for us raspberry pi noobs- from installing the software to connecting it to the GP-10.

I plan to use my VG99 FC300 midi controller - has anyone tried it and does it work well?

All very exciting developments in the VG world and there's me thinking the VG died with Rolan's lack of commitment and support.

Thank goodness for you guys - keep up the exceptional work!

Many thanks

Hi, I've been away for a few months enjoying the summer and just checked in looking the SY300 thread. I checked this one and some exciting things are happening with the new 5 pin MIDI I/O circuit Codesmart is selling. I think the raspberry PI solution may be outdated now but still is a valid solution. I have not been getting emails for updates to this thread so I was not aware of postings. Sorry for the late response.

If you need a video of how to install NOOBS from scratch, then YOUTUBE has a number of them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=qLo-0Tmmlrc.

Here is a link to the image I created but will be removed if no one has a need for it anymore. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Byf4qrn_H-ZCVTRfZGdHUEpkcm8&authuser=0. The link has a video and info on how to configure the Jack MIDI utility. I have to warn you though, since I update the image to use the PI2, I have not updated the material but 95% of the information is still valid.

The MIDIX-10 seems like a cleaner option. You should snag one.

Louis
Music is in everyone!!

hugowester

Just to thanks everyone involved in the rasberry proyect.being an absolute beginner in computer hardware tweaking,all i can say is that it works perfect and is really easy to set up,once you download and understand the stuff posted in this forum.So go ahead and for a few bucks you will have a perfect solution for having midi in your gp 10!

loulea

Quote from: hugowester on November 01, 2015, 12:29:03 PM
Just to thanks everyone involved in the rasberry proyect.being an absolute beginner in computer hardware tweaking,all i can say is that it works perfect and is really easy to set up,once you download and understand the stuff posted in this forum.So go ahead and for a few bucks you will have a perfect solution for having midi in your gp 10!

Glad it worked. Just curious what model PI did you buy? PI B plus or PI 2?
Music is in everyone!!

MaidenHawaii

Aloha and Happy new Year from Hawaii!

New to the forum, and am a new proud owner of a GP-10.  Love the unit, but dislike the lack of standard midi in/out connection support.
I am intrigues by the RPI and even the MIDX-10 to fix this issue, and am leaning toward performing the upgrade to my GP10 to make it work for me as I want, but needed to ask if this fix will be compatible with what I am trying to achieve.  I appreciate any help moving forward, as I am definitely no programmer, and my knowledge of midi is borderline novice (meaning I am stupider than the novice :), but I can read and follow directions like a champ and can tweak like the best of them! 
So first, let me share my rig setup:

GP-10 mono out>TC Poly Tune> GT-100 input
GP-10 sits in front of the GT-100
GT-100 is setup in 4 cable through the loop of a 5150III 50 watt head.  The GT-100 provides all my effects and my amp provides my tone.
GT-100 controls all amp switching changes through a midi connection (only available on the 50 watt) GT-100 midi out>EVH Midi foot control in
I am totally not using the GP-10 to its fullest potential, as I only intend to use it for alternate tuning, some acoustic modeling and very little synths for now. 
As time goes on, I am sure I will find more uses for it, but right now it solves my issue with having to travel to a gig with 4-5 guitars all tuned differently, which is the main reason why I got it. 
The way I have the GT-100 set up is that each patch button (1-4) is set for, in regards to the EVH, a clean channel (green), a crunch channel (blue) and a heavy channel (red), with button 4 serving as a lead/modulation patch on either the blue or red channel.  Go bank up or down, the patches have different settings, but the amp channel selections stay the same across the GT-100 4 button selections.  This setup really solved the tap-dancing I was doing with my Line6 M13 and outboard external effects, and sounds much better with no latency issues at all...the Line 6 had major latency issues with the EVH when switching amp channels through midi, and forced me to purchase a FCB-1010 to remedy it.  The GT-100 gave NO latency issues from the get go, so...see ya M13 and the ridiculously large pedal board I had!  Plus, the GT-100, IMHO, is a much better overall sounding multi effects unit compared to any Line6 floor processor.

My question is, can the MIDX-10 or the RPI allow for the GT-100 to change patches on the GP-10 at the same time?  For example, I would like to go to bank/patch 4-1 on the GT-100, clean on my amp, and at the same time have the GP-10 switch to say, patch 4.  Then when I switch to say bank/patch 5-3, Red channel on the amp, the GP-10 goes to patch 5. 

I would like the GP-10 to integrate into my "one step change for everything" pedal board, but for right now, the tap dancing is back just a bit.
If this will work, I will be ordering a RPI B+ very soon.   I am leaning towards the RPI as there is room to expand on that thing should I get it working right...I already have a Midi Solutions thru box (1 in>2 out/thru) to split the midi signal coming from the GT-100 out to the amp and GP-10, which I am thinking I'm gonna need if this works.  Other than that, will there be anything else I would need? 

Tons of intelligent individuals on this site, and even more useful information.  I appreciate any and all help on my inquiry. Thank you in advance.

Mike

gumtown

Greetings from New Zealand !!
Yes you can have it all !!
The RPI has 4 USB ports where the GT-100 USB can be utilised to the RPI and then to the GP-10, no need for the midi splitter box.
The GT-100 will send the same midi to it's 5 pin ports and through the USB at the same time.

For patch switching,
the GT-100 has 200 user patches arranged in 50 banks of 4 patches, but think of them numbered as 1~200.
the GP-10 has 99 User patches (1~99).
So when the GT-100 is on bank1-patch1, the GP10 will be on patch 1
     when the GT-100 is on bank4-patch1, the GP-10 will be on patch 13
     when the GT-100 is on bank20-patch4, the GP-10 will be on patch 80
     when the GT-100 is on bank25-patch3, the GP-10 will be on patch 99
past Bank 25, the GP-10 won't listen to patch change.

You will need to make up a set of your GP-10 alt tuning patches and copy/paste them to the patch locations to match your GT-100 patches.

Don't forget to setup the RPI to map the GT-100 to the GP-10 midi.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

CodeSmart

Hi Mike, hello from Sweden  :)

I think a MIDX-10 could also do the work:
GT-100 MIDI OUT -> MIDX-10 MIDI IN
MIDX-10 MIDI OUT -> Amp MIDI
MIDX-10 USB -> GP-10 USB

As the GP-10 tends to repeat incoming Midi, any PC from the GT will be available on the MIDX Midi out. If not, the Merge/True switch will forward PC from GT to Amp. No need for a splitter.
Note: If you change patch on the GP-10 directly by its foot controls these PC will also get to the Amp.
(If not desired I guess you can turn off MIDI transmission in the GP-10 isetup).

HOWEVER...
Unfortunately, at some time point you might find yourself ditching the GT-100 and use only the GP-10. With careful tweaking it can substitute the 4CM. The sound will not be 100% as good as 4CM but the audience will not be able to tell the difference. To control the effects of the GP-10 patches you will use a simple external dual foot switch or a MIDI controller with RPI/MIDX. This my prophecy ;D
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

MCK

Awesome project!!! Very happy to see the maker spirit alive and thriving in this wonderful community. Congratulations

MaidenHawaii

Quote from: gumtown on January 01, 2016, 10:11:52 PM
Greetings from New Zealand !!
Yes you can have it all !!
The RPI has 4 USB ports where the GT-100 USB can be utilised to the RPI and then to the GP-10, no need for the midi splitter box.
The GT-100 will send the same midi to it's 5 pin ports and through the USB at the same time.

For patch switching,
the GT-100 has 200 user patches arranged in 50 banks of 4 patches, but think of them numbered as 1~200.
the GP-10 has 99 User patches (1~99).
So when the GT-100 is on bank1-patch1, the GP10 will be on patch 1
     when the GT-100 is on bank4-patch1, the GP-10 will be on patch 13
     when the GT-100 is on bank20-patch4, the GP-10 will be on patch 80
     when the GT-100 is on bank25-patch3, the GP-10 will be on patch 99
past Bank 25, the GP-10 won't listen to patch change.

You will need to make up a set of your GP-10 alt tuning patches and copy/paste them to the patch locations to match your GT-100 patches.

Don't forget to setup the RPI to map the GT-100 to the GP-10 midi.

Greetings to you also!  This is great stuff!  Thank you for the information and pointing out that I would not needs the splitter with the RPI installed. 
Although I was leaning towards the RPI...I may go with the MIDX-10 instead

Quote from: CodeSmart on January 02, 2016, 01:03:06 AM
Hi Mike, hello from Sweden  :)

I think a MIDX-10 could also do the work:
GT-100 MIDI OUT -> MIDX-10 MIDI IN
MIDX-10 MIDI OUT -> Amp MIDI
MIDX-10 USB -> GP-10 USB

Hello to you, too CodeSmart.  If the MIDX-10 is a plug and play, I may just go with that.  What is the price of one? 
Quote from: CodeSmart on January 02, 2016, 01:03:06 AM

HOWEVER...
Unfortunately, at some time point you might find yourself ditching the GT-100 and use only the GP-10. With careful tweaking it can substitute the 4CM. The sound will not be 100% as good as 4CM but the audience will not be able to tell the difference. To control the effects of the GP-10 patches you will use a simple external dual foot switch or a MIDI controller with RPI/MIDX. This my prophecy ;D

I considered it.  BUT, I was not happy with the way it sounded up front of the EVH.  effects were too wet.  Although I can get the Van Halen "slam everything into the front of the amp" tone with some tweaking, everything else is just too saturated for my taste.  And I could really tell the difference between in front of the GT-100, and all by itself.  And I do like the ability to reposition the loop on the GT-100...
For now, the set up fits my "ears", but should I opt to use the amp models in the future, then yes...the GT-100 will more than likely be shelved...The GP has amazing amp tones in it...better than the GT-100 I hate to say. 
Besides...I kinda like how they look sitting next to each other on my PT-pro! 
I was also able to use my amp footswitch from my Bugera V22 combo as control 3 and 4.  didn't think it would work, but it does! 
So...I'm thinking I'd like to order a MIDX-10!  How shall I go about it?

And Thanks again all.  2 posts in, and I can feel the wealth of knowledge pouring out to me...and I appreciate it very much! 
Aloha! 

CodeSmart

Quote from: MaidenHawaii on January 02, 2016, 11:26:44 AM
Although I was leaning towards the RPI...I may go with the MIDX-10 instead
Hello to you, too CodeSmart.  If the MIDX-10 is a plug and play, I may just go with that.  What is the price of one?
So...I'm thinking I'd like to order a MIDX-10!  How shall I go about it.

I have reworked the board and took a chance and fabricated 20 boards with components for my last 20 existing enclosures. Have not received them yet. I've fixed a few clerical things on the board. These 20 units are most probably taken by the waiting list already. On the other hand I have ordered a larger number of new enclosures for the second batch of 2016, one of these could be yours in about late February.

So if you are in a hurry and want a less expensive non-enclosure solution with some boot time and more I/O go for the RPI, otherwise wait for the plug-n-play MIDX-10 around end of Feb. The price will probably be around $120-$160. Not sure yet. Purchase and production of the enclosures with 4-layer metallic car paint in GP-10 color and two-component clear coat remains the biggest challenge money wise with these small series.

I'm sure the RPI will work fine for you also.

If interest email sound@primova.se. The units look like this (Warning for offensive advertising in the wrong thread ;D )

gumbo

...a long time ago, in a Galaxy far far away to the North......

...the Force became fixated about the color yellow....

:D
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

loulea

Hi MaidenHawaii,

Either way you go will work for you but be aware of the of the limitations of both. The RPI is a cheaper than the MIDIX-10 (half - $35 +$30 for the USB to MIDI cable assuming you have a monitor and keyboard around) but requires a little more attention to setting it up. I have created an image and instructions which can be found in this forum as a starting point to minimize the learning curve. It allows for running without a monitor and keyboard. The RPI can also be connected remotely via VNC or SSH (Secure shell) using your IOS device or PC over your network. If your are going to get the RPI, I would suggest you get the RPI2 because it is much faster. I upgraded the image to support the RPI2 earlier this year. The boot time of the RPI is around 55 seconds. I clocked this by turning on the PI, hitting my foot pedal and monitoring when the GP-10 changes patch. The RPI2 did it in around 25 seconds. Although not quite as fast as the MIDIX-10 it is much better than the RPI B+. The RPI is more of a patch bay and can connect inputs and outputs to which ever device you need which may give you better control over gear. The RPI is not plug and play so if you are on stage and one of your pedals go down and if you substitute another one, you will be required to go in to the RPI JackCtl utility and connect it even if it is another GP-10. This is because it recognizes the USB ID of the device plugged into to the USB port. This is where the MIDIX-10 shines as documented by CodeSmart. The MIDIX-10 is plug and play.

In summary, either will do for you. I suggest you get both if you can afford it :). It is an extra 35-40 buck for the PI and since you will need the USB MIDI interface for the MIDIX-10 anyway, you can use it for the PI. You will also need a power adapter as well as a wireless adapter if you don't want to be wired. I found the PI to be better suited for my needs because I use it for other things such as load OSMC and use it for streaming movies from the internet or off my local network as well programming. I have 3 of them now.

If you feel adventurous, here are some links to a RPI touchscreen add-on if interested.
http://swag.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-7-inch-touchscreen-display
http://www.adafruit.com/products/2033

Enjoy! Happy new year to all!
Music is in everyone!!

CodeSmart

Agree Loulea, there are pros and cons on both existing options. Great when people have to start eye bowling and lose there marbles ;D

MaidenHawaii

Quote from: loulea on January 03, 2016, 09:53:57 AM
Hi MaidenHawaii,

Either way you go will work for you but be aware of the of the limitations of both. The RPI is a cheaper than the MIDIX-10 (half - $35 +$30 for the USB to MIDI cable assuming you have a monitor and keyboard around) but requires a little more attention to setting it up. I have created an image and instructions which can be found in this forum as a starting point to minimize the learning curve. It allows for running without a monitor and keyboard. The RPI can also be connected remotely via VNC or SSH (Secure shell) using your IOS device or PC over your network. If your are going to get the RPI, I would suggest you get the RPI2 because it is much faster. I upgraded the image to support the RPI2 earlier this year. The boot time of the RPI is around 55 seconds. I clocked this by turning on the PI, hitting my foot pedal and monitoring when the GP-10 changes patch. The RPI2 did it in around 25 seconds. Although not quite as fast as the MIDIX-10 it is much better than the RPI B+. The RPI is more of a patch bay and can connect inputs and outputs to which ever device you need which may give you better control over gear. The RPI is not plug and play so if you are on stage and one of your pedals go down and if you substitute another one, you will be required to go in to the RPI JackCtl utility and connect it even if it is another GP-10. This is because it recognizes the USB ID of the device plugged into to the USB port. This is where the MIDIX-10 shines as documented by CodeSmart. The MIDIX-10 is plug and play.

In summary, either will do for you. I suggest you get both if you can afford it :). It is an extra 35-40 buck for the PI and since you will need the USB MIDI interface for the MIDIX-10 anyway, you can use it for the PI. You will also need a power adapter as well as a wireless adapter if you don't want to be wired. I found the PI to be better suited for my needs because I use it for other things such as load OSMC and use it for streaming movies from the internet or off my local network as well programming. I have 3 of them now.

If you feel adventurous, here are some links to a RPI touchscreen add-on if interested.
http://swag.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-7-inch-touchscreen-display
http://www.adafruit.com/products/2033

Enjoy! Happy new year to all!

Aloha Loulea,

First off, thank you for the work you put in to the RPI fix...!  I read all of the threads regarding this, and because of how easy you made it to perform this upgrade, it is why I am here at all!  Like I said, I am no programmer nor computer genius...very far from it...but I can read a set instructions and google like my life depended on it!!! 
Also, thank you for the continued updating done, and all of the useful information regarding the RPI.  Although I am all about plug and play, I am so intrigued by the RPI fix...so as you have suggested, I'm gonna get both...!
Quote from: CodeSmart on January 02, 2016, 04:40:57 PM

If interest email sound@primova.se. The units look like this (Warning for offensive advertising in the wrong thread ;D )

Email sent... ;D  Love the Star Wars reference, also...!   :)
Got no big gigs set up in the near future, so figured why not fiddle with the RPI for a bit while I wait for the MIDX-10's availability.  The least it could do is make me feel a bit smarter... ;D

So I am looking to order this one.  Maybe look into the touchscreen down the road, but I do have an extra keyboard and monitor sitting around, so for now it will do.  Your thoughts, if any? 

I have a M-Audio Uno Midi/usb converter already.  Would also like to install power off option at micro usb power port.  Something like this:

If I went with the touchscreen, I was thinking this one:

So many choices, though...can't seem to make up my mind! 
The gear bug usually hits me around this time of the year, as I celebrate my birthday 6 days into the New Year.  It's something that My wife has come accustom to over the years, and I continue to play to justify the G.A.S...! 
Thank you to those in this forum who have opened a whole new world for me to tweak on!  My wife hates you already!!!   ;D

whippinpost91850

What is the functionality difference if any in the new batch of MIDX-10s

CodeSmart

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on January 03, 2016, 03:38:26 PM
What is the functionality difference if any in the new batch of MIDX-10s
The USB can can deliver more power (500mA or more). That's the only difference from the outside.

loulea

Quote from: MaidenHawaii on January 03, 2016, 03:29:02 PM

Aloha Loulea,

First off, thank you for the work you put in to the RPI fix...!  I read all of the threads regarding this, and because of how easy you made it to perform this upgrade, it is why I am here at all!  Like I said, I am no programmer nor computer genius...very far from it...but I can read a set instructions and google like my life depended on it!!! 
Also, thank you for the continued updating done, and all of the useful information regarding the RPI.  Although I am all about plug and play, I am so intrigued by the RPI fix...so as you have suggested, I'm gonna get both...! Email sent... ;D  Love the Star Wars reference, also...!   :)
Got no big gigs set up in the near future, so figured why not fiddle with the RPI for a bit while I wait for the MIDX-10's availability.  The least it could do is make me feel a bit smarter... ;D

So I am looking to order this one.  Maybe look into the touchscreen down the road, but I do have an extra keyboard and monitor sitting around, so for now it will do.  Your thoughts, if any? 

Hi MaidenHawaii,

All the equipment you pointed is great but all you really need is the PI, Power supply and the image. The WiFi adapter is a good as long as the driver is loaded in the Raspian OS which most likely it is.

I believe another important thing is the power down switch because you can corrupt the image if you don't power down properly. I've done it a couple of times though rare. Make backups. The only problem I had with the switch was that it is cumbersome and can be damaged easily if you are not careful. I broke mine while hauling my board to rehearsal. The wire snapped off and took a couple traces on the circuit board of the power down circuitry. I purchased mine from Mausberry Circuits. What I did was wrote a small Python Script and connected my own power down hardware implementation using a couple resistors, LED and switch. Actually I used the LED from the Mausberry circuit board.

The only thing my implementation can't do is power up with the switch. I'm not going to suggest you use  this feature since you are not comfortable with tinkering :). If you do get the power down circuitry, be aware that you may have problems with the length of the wires when using a case. Since the power down PCB resides outside the box and you have to fish the wires through one of the box's access holes, you may end up a little short. This all depends on the enclosure you get.

Make sure to get a 16GB card. The image is 8GB but as documented in this forum, you may have problems when burning the image because not all cards are the same. Using a larger card eliminates the risk. Flash cards are pretty cheap these days.

The touchscreen monitor is really a toy and like you said, if the RPI is going to be your permanent solution, then maybe I would suggest it but for now just use the RPI and see if it has the functionality you need..

The material on my Google drive is a little outdated and need some updating to capture some changes I made to make it easier to find the PI on the network without having to know the IP address. You just use "raspberrypi.local". Most of it is there. Ping me if you get the PI and I haven't updated it.

The PI is supposed to be a cheap solution in my mind :). If you start adding a whole bunch of peripherals, at some point you have to ask yourself if it is worthwhile getting a cheap laptop or a Windows tablet. :)

Enjoy and my pleasure helping!

Music is in everyone!!

MCK

For all the Pi tinkerers, here's an interesting option. A UPS for your Pi... It comes with its own power down switch option as well and could power up your Pi for up to 8 hours. Fits in most Pi cases as well from what I understand.

http://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi/breakout-boards/pi-modules/ups-pico

loulea

Music is in everyone!!

MaidenHawaii

OK...so after a VERY long wait, my pi arrived in the mail this past Saturday...been working with it since, and finally...CONNECTIVITY!!!  . 
The image wouldn't load  at first, and I thought either there was something wrong with the card or the pi because all i would get was a solid red light...a little green flicker in the beginning but that was it.  So, I downloaded a copy of NOOBS, installed without any issues and determined there was nothing wrong with the pi.  So i tried the image once more, and it finally took.

I now have switching control over the GP-10 through the GT-100.  Patches on GP-10 moves with GT-100, which is all I really wanted!  Thank you for the great thread, information and knowledge to help me pull this off!!! 

My only thing is, when I start up the pi, after jackctl opens, I get an error message
' could not connect to JACK server as client'
'overall operation failed'
'unable to connect to server'

Although I was able to save the setup, and everything loads as should, the error and message/status box always pop up...I am assuming that it is not normal, but how do I get it to not pop up? 

Overall, am pretty pleased with the end result...I had everything hooked up in midiOX while I was waiting for the pi, and the latency was terrible...the pi has 0 latency and my amp switches like lightning fast now! 

And FYI, using the pi to post this message!!! 

This will definitely do until the MIDX10 becomes available...Thank you, VGuitarForum gurus!!! 

Elantric

My only thing is, when I start up the pi, after jackctl opens, I get an error message

I also experience this same exact message - AFAIK its normal and just ignore it.

loulea

Quote from: MaidenHawaii on January 26, 2016, 12:28:46 AM

Although I was able to save the setup, and everything loads as should, the error and message/status box always pop up...I am assuming that it is not normal, but how do I get it to not pop up? 

Glad you got it working MaidenHawaii. One of the instructions was to format the card using SDFormatter before you extract and load the image. This would have saved you some time.

Now as I have said many times in this forum, the error for the JackServer is NOT related to the JackMidi which you are using. There are two parts to JackCtl running on the PI. There is the MIDI portion and AUDIO portion. We only need the MIDI portion and the instructions I provided tells you how to set that up. The errors you are experiencing is for the audio server and this is because we have not configured the hardware interface. This can be ignored. Basically if you were to use the PI for audio, you would have to setup the PIs audio interface so that you can connect to other audio devices. The error has NO impact on the function that you seek.

Enjoy the versatility of the PI!
loulea   
Music is in everyone!!

loulea

MaidenHawaii,

If you don't want to see the popup every time, just deselect the "Messages" button on the main window and the next time you reboot, you won't see it. Same with the other windows as well. I'd say you are set. ;)
Music is in everyone!!