KORG 05RW

Started by jshortz, March 27, 2013, 12:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jshortz

Has anyone tried one of these with guitar?

GtrGeorge

I am wondering,too!!
  Anybody??

shawnb

Do you have a specific question?  Do you already own the unit & want to know how to hook it up?   Or are you considering purchasing an 05RW?

I can't offer much help here...   I have a much older Korg M3R.  Haven't used it much lately at all (like any of my HW synths...).   I recall driving the M3R with my GR-30 MIDI out a long time ago.  Those old Korgs had some very cool sounds, very warm & natural sounding basses. 

I'm certain you could make it work, subject to the normal latency of the GR-55 & VG-99 units.  The only real question would be whether chords play correctly & whether pitch bends work on the proper string (with the with the gtr synth in mono mode).   

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

jshortz

I was thinking of trying one with my GR-20.
The prices seem reasonable.
Im not sure if using an FC-200 along with the GR-20 and the Korg will work.
Can the FC-200 control 2 units?

lightwins

Did you consider  IOS synth application for iPhone / iPod / iPad. To my untrained ear they sound pretty much the same and cost a tiny fraction. Korg sells few as well and there are plenty of free stuff so that you can try. I do not use my clunky gear having those apps.

Elantric

If the Korg 05R/W were free it might add usefull sounds. These were popular devices 20 years ago.

More info here
http://www.synthmania.com/05r_w.htm

But If my options today were

Option A: Spend $400 on:
used Korg synth $200 and cables $50  and having it serviced with local repair tech $150.

Or

Option B: Spend $400 on:
refurb IPad 2 ($300 )and use whats left to buy Apple USB Camera adapter ($29) and then go to iTunes and buy a few IOS apps  and sound libraries updates from Korg, IK Multimedia, etc.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/130871576255?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
http://www.korg.com/iPad_Apps

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/sampletankipad/

Option B is my choice whole heartily.

During the next few weeks several IPad apps go on sale too.

jshortz

Thanks for the suggestions.
Option B seems more for recording.
Im thinking for live use and recording.
Would option B be practical for live use?

gumtown

Option B - the tablet/pad type device seems the way the world is moving in live gear,
It can be mounted onto a mic stand for easy access during a performance,
and seem reasonably reliable on the software stability side of things.

For controlling more than one device from a midi control pedal,
that depends on the connected devices as to wether they have midi thru (or not in most cases these days),
in your case, you may want to use the GR-20 purely as a pitch to midi converter and not bother chnaging patches in it, and run the foot controller and GR-20 midi out both into a midi merge device and into your tablet/iPad device,
I don't know if there is anything available in midi devices adapters that have more than one midi input for such devices as the tablet/iPad.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

shawnb

Some of these old HW synths like the Korg, however, have much warmer, broader, natural sounding patches, to my ear.  Something about that vintage gear.   In many ways the newer synths & .vsts are more accurate, and yes, you can always EQ 'em, but it never sounds the same.  I don't know what they were doing differently in the '90s & '80s.   Example - you cannot compare the warmth of the GR-30 (1997?) to that of the GR-55 (2011?).   

And I really love the nostalgic tones on my ancient M3R...   (When I play it...)

So there really is something to be said for driving that old gear, and not EMULATING driving that old gear...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

GtrGeorge

To the OP...
  I am thinking of buying a used Korg unit.  I would drive it from my GK2a pickup.
I hear Elantic and others on HW synths..but I work professionally live and it has to be bullet proof.  And so far many of the modeling and emulation software I have heard...it just doesnt sound the same AND I wonder if its bullet-proof.   Maybe it's me, but thats what my ears tell me.
       Sort of like tube technology...its really old...but I like it! (while still embracing all kinds of other technology).

GtrGeorge

Elantric

QuoteI would drive it from my GK2a pickup.

You will require more than a GK-2A, like a Guitar MIDI convertor typically a Roland GI-10, GI-20, or GR-30, GR-55.

FreeTime

Not sure if its just in my mind, but driving my Korg R3 seems to have less latency than the iPad (Thumbjam/Audiobus) in an Alesis io dock. Any thoughts ?

jshortz

The Roland JV1010 may be a possibility for me.
Has anyone tried one?

shawnb

Quote from: FreeTime on April 03, 2013, 05:16:08 PM
Not sure if its just in my mind, but driving my Korg R3 seems to have less latency than the iPad (Thumbjam/Audiobus) in an Alesis io dock. Any thoughts ?

I would suspect that would be the case, at least for some old synths.  The fewer moving parts, the less opportunities to add latency.  And by moving parts, I include drivers, apps, vst wrappers, as well as gear.  You may also find that certain synths work much better on your iPad as well.     

GtrGeorge

what about the sounds in the Korg???

Elantric

Quotewhat about the sounds in the Korg???
Demo is here
http://www.synthmania.com/05r_w.htm

arkieboy

For this kind of discussion you could do much worse than trawl through the old Axonforum where there were some long discussions of old synths in the 'other gear' sub forum.  The JV1080 worked pretty well as I recall

The thing to watch for these 'half-u full of sounds' boxes is that they scrimped on the synth operating system because they were intended for use with a computer sequencer.  So while they were multi timbal, your ability to save multi timbral program's could be limited.  This is certainly the case with the JV/XV equivalent.  This was less of a problem with the Axon - which has extensive midi guitar controller configuration options such as string and fret splits, alternate turnings, transposition - but a real pain for something like a modern GR or VG unit

Download the manual and have a read ...

Personally if I was in the market for a cheap S+S box I would go for the 1080 or the 2080

Steve
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

jshortz

A friend of mine lent me an 05R/W.
I went through the patches and my GR-20 was way more suitable for my live gig situation and the overall sounds arent worth making any additions to my GR setup.
The Combi sounds were okay but would not work for me live.
My next try will be a Roland XV-2020.

GtrGeorge

Regarding the XV2020..I own one and I am looking for something better...or shall I say ..better to my ears..and for my purposes (live music).
           I use a GI-20 to convert my GK2a to a midi signal..it works ok....but I wonder if I should go for the FTP...but there is a SWAMP of information to go thru to make that decision...
geez all I want is a good Piano sound and a handful of other sounds..that's it!!!! never realized it would be this tricky.       HELP!
    GtrGeorge

montyrivers

Just want to put in my 2 cents, here.  Old Korg rack mounts like the M3R are decidedly low end, even when they first came out.  If anyone happens to find hardware synths from this generation, including their guitar synth hardware, avoid spending more than $150.  Also these units may have some maintenance concerns.  Rarely, the internal patch memory battery can die, or if I know my old Korgs, the main board has a habit of crapping out because of some manufacturing decisions that I'd chalk up to planned obsolescence. 

Not knocking the units themselves.  If you already own them, they're great one of a kind synths with great polyphony for their time.  Just don't dig yourself into a hole if you don't already own them and have money to burn.

Example:  I own an old Yamaha TX81Z rack (it's so old the internal transformer hums).  It's an FM unit that can pull off some DX7 sounds which is really cool, but I also got it for free...  :p