An old man thinking about upgrading his GT-antique to a GT-classic

Started by sixstringsid, February 17, 2018, 12:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixstringsid

Hey guys, I'd stick this in the GT area, but which one?!?! I would really like some opinions from the guys and gals that have used this stuff. I have, and please don't laugh so hard you spew your drink onto your monitor, I'm not buying you a new one, a GT-6. Thanks to you folks, it sounds better than I ever thought it would. If any of you have ventured down to the Ford model T area of this forum you would see a whole 20 or so threads(the whole area).

Although my GT-6 now has some wonderful sounds coming from it, and my guitar amps, thanks to the tip of running it through the effects return(thanks Boss for not putting that info in the manual), I find it has short comings even this old guy would like to over come. Looks as if a basic upgrade will be in my future. Now, like I said above, there arn't too many of you going down to the dark damp archives to see such humor/horror, so posting there probably won't get me very far.

1. Midi control, as Gumtown will attest to, um well, sucks! Thank you Gumtown for at least helping me getting it to talk to any of my many computers/OS's
2. Can't change between amp head preamp and GT-6 preamps without a PHD or dancing school degree.
3. lacking some much needed functionality

Granted, I don't go out and gig like a lot of you. Mostly jam at home or with my neighbor,(plays night clubs on the Las Vegas strip(I live in Vegas, Duh) but I think its time to upgrade. The GT-100 looks cool and all but most likely more than I need or want to spend, yes, I'm a cheap ass(not really, I tell myself that so I don't spend too much money and my wife shoots me with one of my own guns).

Looking at the GT-8 or the GT-10. The way I look at it, one a nimble 69 327 Camero, the other 70 LS6 454 Chevelle monster. Both will make you look bad if you don't know how to control it. Sorry, old GM master tech. I look at the used gear sections of stuff for sale. I don't see a lot of GT-8's up for grabs, but man o' man, there are a lot of the GT-10's out there.

Is the 8 better than the 10? The 10 has a lot more features. Gumtowns Floorboard 10 sure looks better(just more 10 features)! Does the 8 suck and didn't sell as many, therefor not many out there, or do they just sound better and no one wants to sell. I've learned a lot about programming the GT's in the short time I've been a member(Thank you all) so I can't imagine the 10 being that much better, can it?

Can any of you former, or current users shed some light on such old equipment?

Until I get back to work, money is tight. Chances of me playing some big houses are slim and none.  Slim, of course has died. Just jamming with my buddies.

Which one is better for the dollar?

gumtown

Hi, just me again !!  ;D

I think the GT-10 is the best of the bunch. It has a whole lot more features over the GT-8.
It has a built in USB port for Midi and Audio to/from your computer,
so as well as not requiring the USB/Midi adapter any more, you can also record direct to computer,
or play computer USB audio through the GT-10.
The GT-8 has dual preamps, but the GT-10 has dual effect signal chains too, allowing parallel effects chains in any combination.
The GT-10 Fx1 and FX2 has all of the GT-8 FX1/FX2 effects combined in each, so you get 2 of every effect able to be used at once.

The GT-10 is a natural progression from the GT-8, and will sound a lot sweeter than the GT-6.
Then there is the GT-100 which is better than the GT-10, but the "bang for bucks" is not quite there until the new "GT-1000" hits the stores.
Another option to look at is the GT-1, which has been a fairly recent release. the price of a new one is comparable to a used GT-10.
The GT-1 is quite a bit smaller, only 3 foot switches and a EXP pedal and a single channel, but has the latest amp modelling revision.

If you can snap up a GT-10 at a good price, go for it.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Cups

I used to own a GT-8 and currently own a GT-10. I liked the 8 but the 10 is a step up. Still learning to program the 10; the 8 was a little easier to navigate.
If you're patient there are some great deals on either unit. Picked up the 10 for 150$.

sixstringsid

I had a side job today. Made enough to buy the 10. I finished the job and walked into the kitchen to wash my hands. I hear this drip, drip, drip. I look under the kitchen sink and to my disappointment my reverse osmosis unit is leaking all over my Pergo flooring. Oh well, easy come, easy go. If you have ever drank the water in this state you would know where my money had to go. 4th RO system in 10 years. The new one has a lifetime warranty.... They're gonna be sorry they gave it a warranty like that.

Cool guys, thanks. The 10 it is.