VG-99 - patches for Bowie covers

Started by mooncaine, January 16, 2016, 06:21:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

Folks, I'm going to play a set of Bowie covers and I'm working up some VG-99 patches in the next couple weeks as I practice up. I'll share them here, cuz I figure now that Mr. Bowie has passed, a bunch of us might be playing his tunes now.

I'm inviting all of you to join in anytime and share a patch or an idea. I'm gonna start working on some now and maybe by the end of the night I might already have one or two to upload.

mooncaine

My part in this song will be rhythm guitar, and this is what I think I'm hearing: a thin, slightly hot but clean guitar through a tremolo effect. It plays little a little syncopated rhythm part behind the main guitar that's playing a melody with Steve Cropper-ish double stops.

Amp is my fave general go-to amp (sadly, it will never save as a Favorite, and I have to keep one patch on the VG-99 unmolested, with this amp in it, so I can use Module Copy to load it into other patches). I was trying to approximate the sound of a certain Vibrolux amp, and haven't quite gotten it, but really liked this amp model nonetheless.

papabuss

Top! :)

Waiting for more....
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

mooncaine

Thanks. Soon I'll have a rhythm guitar patch I can use on Sound & Vision and Fame, and probably the same patch on Blue Jean. It's close.

I worked on a patch for Fashion tonight, too, but mostly focused on trying to play like the brilliant Mr. Fripp. It's not ready yet. Whew, it's tough to get brain-melting distortion without lots of handling noise (for me). I've got to work out what I'll do for Scary Monsters yet, too.

I wish the GK pickup didn't need to be so close to the strings. When I palm-mute, I tend to press just hard enough to touch the low strings against the pickup. I have a fairly ham-fisted style.

That song (Fashion) is FUN. gotta sleep.

mooncaine

Fashion: lead guitar patch. Use a volume pedal to keep it quiet, and goose it right as you begin to play. Ride that volume pedal.

mooncaine

I need to be one of the background guitars in Let's Dance. What do you think ought to get one of those rhythm guitars' sound?

I'm already thinking about the delay. I bet if I google it I'll find something on how to set the delay to cop this tune's sound.

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.