Boss or Line 6 into an amp input, which sounds best?

Started by sjturbo, January 16, 2018, 04:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sjturbo

I have a MusicMan RD50. It's a hybrid amp with ss preamp and 6L6 tube output. I have been thinking about a multi effects pedal. Either the Boss GT100 or Line6 HD550X. I imagine some have had both or at least played through both. I wondered which would sound best going direct into the amp input? Opinions will be appreciated.

Elantric

What is your music style?

What is your electric guitar make/ model ?

What guitar tones are you hoping to achieve?

What amps have you enjoyed playing through in the past?

In my experience the HD500X is better for Metal and tones where you glue your guitar Vol pot to 10 all night

The GT-100 is better for verge of breakup blues, classic rock with more dynamic range and responds closer to a real amp , less need for a noisegate ( often mandatory for HD500)

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schemview.php?id=560

sjturbo

Thanks for the quick response. No Metal! Mostly blues, jazz, classic rock. Larry Carlton/dumble. I am an older rocker from the 60's. Played lots of early Stones, and blues. I do also like George Marinelli. Guitars include EPI LPDC/P90's (favorite), Les Paul (Faded)/humbuckers, and Hamer Echotone/59' and Seth Lover. So if I understand, the Boss GT-100 plays better with an amp? The MMRD50 has no effects loop only one input. It is very clean and also only has a treble and bass tone stack. I had also been thinking about the GT-8 mainly because George Marinelli used one when he was with the Range. I suppose the GT-100 has a lot more flexibility regarding amp modeling?

sjturbo

Any opinion of the GT100 vs the GT-1? Does the amp modeling vary between the two?

Elantric

I like  GT-8 as its full of knobs for swift  point & shoot editing if necesary mid song

The GT-100 has more bells & whistles but more menu diving

sjturbo

Thanks very much for your feedback. I actually have some specific tones I would like to get out of the GT8 if possible since the 8 would be somewhat less $$. I will try to attach a couple of ytube clips. the first is Carlton is a favorite for the tone. The second is actually a Helix and the tone starts about 3:10. Please give a listen and your opinion if these can be had from the GT. Thanks!

gumtown

The Boss ME-80 might be worth a look at if you want a knob control surface type of interface.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

CodeSmart

Quote from: sjturbo on January 16, 2018, 05:53:34 PM
Any opinion of the GT100 vs the GT-1? Does the amp modeling vary between the two?

Since you probably have an amp sounding great, I'd go for 4 cable method using GT-100. For some patches you may want to switch out your physical preamp and use an emulated one in GT-100,but a real amp is a real amp,hard to beat by any GT series.

This (4CM) is impossible with GT-1. Generelly I have a little problem liking the sounds and possibilities with GT-1. ( but it's easy to carry, GT-100 is not)

To furter complicate things the MS-3 is also a brilliant machine. Small and sturdy with 4CM and lots of great effects. No preamp section but offers many ways to connect own pedals to it if wanted. Minus is that it lacks built in expression pedals.(Have to connect an external expression pedal).
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

sjturbo

Thanks for the additional suggestions. As I mentioned the RD50 amp does not have an effects loop so I don't think the 4 cable method is an option. I do like the idea of knobs so the ME might be worth a look. I really would appreciate someone to listen to the clips and let me know if the GT8 or GT100 could achieve these tones?

sjturbo

I thought at least one GT aficionado would have delved into the Carlton/dumble tones demonstrated in the clips I posted and been able to answer the question if a GT processor can attain these tones. Or have I made a taboo forum request?

admin

We have a predominant culture of VGuitar systems ( VG-99, GR-55, GP-10)

it was relatively recently we added Boss GT-x boards - only after the loss of Boss GT Central
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10218.0

Highly suggest use Gumtowns Floorboard editor if you decide to go Boss ( they include lots of patches )

and use patch cloning
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4087.0

and a Hollowbody guitar!

GeePeeAxe

quote: "...if a GT processor can attain these tones..."

So much I know and am able to hear, there is no digital o transistor based unit on this planet yet, that could you let play those tones Larry played in the video above. This is a very special sound of a very special combination of tube pramp and poweramp, output-transformer, those p-90 pickups, etc.

Now, after 3 years of "playing only tube amps" I love the plain tube sound, without any semiconductor based disto pedals. Clean or overdriven, tubes sound almost always WAY BETTER!

gumtown

A Boss GT unit should be able to emulate that tone with some careful dialling in.
A major part of the tone is in the players style (in the fingers).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Mrchevy

Quote from: GeePeeAxe on January 19, 2018, 08:04:29 AM
quote: "...if a GT processor can attain these tones..."

So much I know and am able to hear, there is no digital o transistor based unit on this planet yet, that could you let play those tones Larry played in the video above. This is a very special sound of a very special combination of tube pramp and poweramp, output-transformer, those p-90 pickups, etc.

Now, after 3 years of "playing only tube amps" I love the plain tube sound, without any semiconductor based disto pedals. Clean or overdriven, tubes sound almost always WAY BETTER!
If you read his video title and pop ups in the video, you will see that it is in fact digital as he appears to be demoing a patch of his on the Line 6 Helix. Just buy the Helix, that guitar, and download his patch. Of course it still won't sound like that unless you steal his Mojo, record it with the same equipment, upload the video to youtube, and listen to it on your same computer. Don't "over-listen" the tone your seeking. It a nice warm basic tone. Later in the video he seems to add some chorus with some delay and reverb. He probably starts out with the volume pot turned down a bit, then adds the effects and cranks the guitar volume to give it that extra bite that P90's are known for. Here is a video/interview with Larry Carlton.... His rig rundown.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

sjturbo

Thanks very much for the additional inputs. All the opinions and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Shingles

Yes, you can get those tones with either gt8 or gt10 or gt100.
But if your amp has no effects loop, there isn't much point. IMO you would be better off with Boss ME80 or even ME50.

Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

sjturbo

Thanks Shingles, that is a very important piece of the puzzle I guess. So in reality most of the magic in the GT's comes in the ability to tailor the preamp, correct? That is likely also why it would sound good through the "board" and monitors? I don't really plan to modify the MM as it is somewhat collectable and sounds great as is. I do however have a Carvin VT50 head that has the effects loop. It uses EL84's though. Would that work as a platform for the Gt's?

sjturbo

Somewhat disappointed in the Carvin effects loop. Guitar sounds muffled and midrangy! Don't actually have a "preamp" pedal to test it with but pedals sound fair. I have seen that not all effects loops are created equal. So maybe I'm dead in the water.

Shingles

Yes, the Carvin should be a good platform for the GT.
Going into an amp's FX return without using a preamp or preamp simulation - just pedals - will never sound right.
But if you REALLY like the Musician, I still think you should consider the ME50, 70, or 80. The 70 and 80 do have preamp emulation so you can still go into the Carvin FX return if you want to. But it's the combination of compression, overdrive and EQ (and other FX) into the front end of your Musicman should get you 'that' sound.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3