I get an electrical smell when running k100 1x12 at full blast??

Started by joeshmoe69, December 17, 2017, 09:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeshmoe69

A couple times I have cranked the 100 1x12 at full blast for a few mins and
I get an electrical smell from the amp.

Not burning but clearly electrical, is this ok and will it go away after more
hi volume use???

It works perfectly by the way.

Jimmy

joeshmoe69

I had to go in the bedroom ;D

Jimmy

By the way, I love this AMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhcole

Your smell is too much heat trying to dissipate. An overheated amp usually doesn't get better over time. The smell is of components being pushed beyond what their designers thought they would have to endure. If you kept it up, the amp could easily go out. If you back off short of that limit, you may not have a problem.

sikejsudjek

You will probably damage the amp. Oh and your ears ! Max volume on this amp gives a safe listening time of under 28 seconds. After that you have hearing damage. With a loudish drummer I only could get it to half power in 50w mode before it was drowning out the drums !  :)

gumbo

...try sticking the GUITAR volume on full and then slowly turning the amp up...if you can still stay in the room, either it's your guitar or your ears that are stuffed!

..maybe get one or both checked before the smoke escapes... ;)
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Brak(E)man

As a person with severe tinnitus and hyper accusis I'd strongly advice
not cranking your amp like described.
An electric smell / fire is your least problem
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

shawnb

I actually think a lot of modern amps have a funky smell when driven.  It improves over time. 

Just Google "amp burn in smell"...  Lots of reports across multiple forums.   New amps...

Also, different rooms absorb sound differently.   Wide open rooms with dead walls + old punk drummers flailing away on the drums = volume required ...   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

shawnb

There were lots of reports of the EV ELX-112Ps smelling "like weed" during burn-in. 

Mine smelled like blown circuit breakers.  Made me wonder what the heck they were smokin'...   
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Rhcole

As a guy who has smoked a couple of amps in my day, I sincerely recommend not trying to "burn off" electrical smells by cranking it up.

...If you get a smell like frying fish, time to end the gig REAL SOON.

joeshmoe69

The only reason I cranked it was to give the speaker
some hard use toward break in. A couple of 4-5 min sessions.

It sounded majestic, like a stack, a Marshall stack.

I used to own one so I know what its like.

I dont see ever having to go past the 50 watt setting.

Great amp! ;D

Jimmy

Elantric

Quote from: joeshmoe69 on December 21, 2017, 04:03:00 PM
The only reason I cranked it was to give the speaker
some hard use toward break in. A couple of 4-5 min sessions.

It sounded majestic, like a stack, a Marshall stack.

I used to own one so I know what its like.

I dont see ever having to go past the 50 watt setting.

Great amp! ;D

Jimmy

I agree with all you said!  ;)

myksara

This is interesting...I have never used the katana 100 outside the bedroom..what is the  settings that will help with the speaker to break in and give its best tonal performance?
Both for katana 100 1x12 and cube street ex?
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

admin

Quote from: myksara on December 21, 2017, 07:09:51 PM
This is interesting...I have never used the katana 100 outside the bedroom..what is the  settings that will help with the speaker to break in and give its best tonal performance?
Both for katana 100 1x12 and cube street ex?

There is  common new guitar amp concept called "New Guitar Speaker break in" -

It has positive results
https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/guitar-essentials-how-to-break-in-a-new-speaker

click here and watch videos

https://www.google.com/search?biw=1396&bih=682&tbm=vid&ei=d6w8Wp29Haea0gLG54voDw&q=New+Guitar+Speaker+break+in%22+&oq=New+Guitar+Speaker+break+in%22+&gs_l=psy-ab.3...813386.814872.0.815215.3.3.0.0.0.0.114.222.0j2.2.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.0.0....0.EDPjEQgd7f0