Sticky Tape

Started by dr_macd, May 08, 2017, 09:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr_macd

Having just received a GK3 pickup with my GR33 purchase, i have pealed the old sticky tape of the back of the PUP.
Does any one know of good tape to stick the PUP on to my guitar, that wont hurt the finish?
:o
1997 Black USA Fender Roland Ready Stratocaster,
USA Seafoam Green Closet Pro Fender Custom Shop Strat,
USA Red Fender Telecaster with Fishman Tripple play,
Indonesian Trans Red Jim Adkins Telecaster,
MEX Sunburst Nashville Power Telecaster,
USA  PRS SC245,
USA Taylor T5.

mmmmgtr

I use this successfully on a poly finish. 

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Heavy-Mounting-1-Inch-50-Inch/dp/B00004Z4A8

I've removed with only minor markings that were very easy to polish out.

I don't think I would try it on a lacquer/nitro finish.  Probably wouldn't come off too well.

I know some folks have used removable putty like

https://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Mounting-Putty-Removable-860/dp/B000AN7EW4#

Not sure how well that works or if it would be ok on  lacquer/nitro.

Elantric

just be careful If you have a lacquer finish - use a "tape test area" to see if the tape  wont hurt the finish  - inside the control cavity, or in the tremolo pocket,  or under the pickguard.

mooncaine

I use that putty sometimes. Obviously only for temporary or removable installation. My next step up from that is duct tape, preferably Duck brand with a Union Jack pattern printed on it, because that somehow looks best on my guitars.

Last weekend, I used Elmer's Wood Glue to glue a GK3 onto a Squier Strat. Meh, maybe not a good idea. Couple days later, I realized it was not aligned as I wished. I chipped that dried glue away carefully. I don't think I hurt the pickup, but I don't know yet. It's because of that little glue escapade that I found this thread today.

I want to glue my pickup down more securely than putty would do for me, but I want to be able to reverse it without damaging the pickup (I don't care how the guitar looks afterwards). I'll probably use that thick double-stick tape you mentioned.

whippinpost91850

Just screw it in. Use shims or the springs that come with it

mooncaine

I broke one end off, so no screw hole left on that end.

mmmmgtr

Quote from: mooncaine on May 08, 2017, 08:46:06 PM
I broke one end off, so no screw hole left on that end.

That's easy to fix.  Just take one of the spacers, the thicker,  rigid ones and glue to the bottom of the pickup. Drill holes and all is good.  You could use any rigid piece of plastic,  metal,  or even wood (painted popsicle stick? ).

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: dr_macd on May 08, 2017, 09:35:17 AM
Having just received a GK3 pickup with my GR33 purchase, i have pealed the old sticky tape of the back of the PUP.
Does any one know of good tape to stick the PUP on to my guitar, that wont hurt the finish?
:o

You didn't mention what type of guitar you have.  Strat with pickguard? TOM style bridge on wood?  I'm assuming the latter.  There are a number of different bracket options that attach the hex pickup to the bridge.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

whippinpost91850

Well that sucks.sounds like sticky tape is only alternative other then repairing the p-up
If you have or can make the height you could glue a piece of plastic to the bottom of the p-up and drill new holes

GraemeJ

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on May 09, 2017, 06:31:01 AMThere are a number of different bracket options that attach the hex pickup to the bridge.

Very true and a much better way to mount the pickup than any sort of sticky tape/glue.  Also allows restoration to original spec if necessary.

lespauled

I remember seeing a GK-3 pickup ring adapter.  Do a search on ebay for "GK-3 pickup ring adapter"

GK-3 PU Mounting Rings - allow Reversible GK-3 Installation.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=40.0

dr_macd

>:(. Ok right, I forgot to state that the guitar was a mex Tele. Of course I suffer with the I'll buy a guitar to mod idea then get totally fixated by not wanting to damage it in any way.  ::)

Was going to get a gk3 internal kit fitted, but that would mean messing with the nice Fishman / fender power bridge. ( sigh)
Thought of using sticky tape,probably won't ruin the chrome bridge..
Then also of course want to fit a triple play as well. Also want to bury the electronics in the back of the guitar.....
Argh perhaps a could buy one from the fender custom shop with it all done for me.
Need a lotto win  ;D
1997 Black USA Fender Roland Ready Stratocaster,
USA Seafoam Green Closet Pro Fender Custom Shop Strat,
USA Red Fender Telecaster with Fishman Tripple play,
Indonesian Trans Red Jim Adkins Telecaster,
MEX Sunburst Nashville Power Telecaster,
USA  PRS SC245,
USA Taylor T5.

admin

Was going to get a gk3 internal kit fitted, but that would mean messing with the nice Fishman / fender power bridge. ( sigh)
Thought of using sticky tape,probably won't ruin the chrome bridge..
Then also of course want to fit a triple play as well. Also want to bury the electronics in the back of the guitar.....
Argh perhaps a could buy one from the fender custom shop with it all done for me.
Need a lotto win  ;D

Read Vades modified Fender  / Fishman Strat with GK 13 pin output

FTP - Fender Fishman Tripleplay Strat - install an internal GK Kit
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15974.0

HCarlH

I ruined the finish on my SoCal Pro Mod Charvel guitar by drilling holes to mount a GK3. It chipped the finish and I don't use that guitar for guitar synth anymore so now I have an easily seen ugly patch on top.

I bought an inexpensive Fender Bullet ($99 Black Friday sale) to use primarily as synth guitar. It's in my avatar. I drilled holes to mount the pickup because I don't care. This is the only way I know to keep the pickup from moving on Strats other than that custom mount.
I switched out the pots and pickups to good stuff. Surprisingly, it plays the best of all of my guitars.

I would get a cheap guitar if it's necessary to drill holes and leave the good ones alone.
GR-55 (or) Fishman TP + Kemper Profiling Rack -->> 
QSC K10 -->> FOH
Fender Squier Stratocaster Bullet (w/GK3), Ibanez AM93 (w/FTP pickup),  Stratocaster (w/FTP pickup)

Telecaster, Charvel SoCal ProMod, Gibson Les Paul, PV Wolfgang,

cags12

Quote from: dr_macd on May 10, 2017, 07:01:42 AM
Of course I suffer with the I'll buy a guitar to mod idea then get totally fixated by not wanting to damage it in any way.  ::)

This is so frigging true.

2pods

I'm not sure where you're posting from, but after trying this that and the other tapes, and screwing a GK2A into a Yamaha MSG Deluxe at one point, I've arrived at Halfords (UK auto shop, tents, push bikes etc) number plate tape.

It has never let me down yet, and I've had it on Strats, old Variaxes, and currently on a PRS SE Santana.
Fender G5 Strat, PRS SE Santana/w TriplePlay

davrosandthedarleks

I've got mammoth tape off amazon, but it's hard to trim, on one guitar and i've a gkb on screws as only a cheap bass. I wondered about using the "command" 3m no damage strips that i've seen for pictures/posters but not tried them yet. The poster version is just a sticky oblong.