SY-300- Concrete now: what could be better?

Started by gobi, January 21, 2017, 02:21:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobi

Dont get me wrong, I'm very impressed by the potential of the SY300! But I think there could be done a few things better in the Software side of this machine. Lets collect some suggestions -  maybe we are heard by the developers..
I suggest: (correct me if you think i'm wrong)

-graphik equalizer (urgendly! most underrated)
-amp env attack for "guitar input" -> use the guitar sound but move the amp envelope (possible?)
-oktaver effekt
-someting like "keyboard tracking" ->example: less filter as higher notes
-better acces to amp envelopes (not possible i gues)
-the given examples/patches are bad (sorry) would be nice if one could simply remove them from the SY300
...sorry  for my bad english, i'm from germany

Brak(E)man

I'd need a distortion/amp sim fx in stereo
a hex input or a functioning polyphony from the tele input
A fx block where the input settings are

The main issue IMO are the hex input / polyphony
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

gobi

gobi

- in the sequencer "off" (muted) steps would be fine!

Kevin M

Hex input would take this unit way beyond the next level, but I bet that would require some serious architectural updates to handle it.

Brak(E)man

Hex input would make this unit IMHO the best guitar synth so far.
The real time control of the osc aka strings makes it in some regards
one of the best synths of all synths.
It's very organic in use.
The MAJOR FLAW ( read disastrous ) is the non hex.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

gobi

chrish

Quote from: gobi on October 12, 2017, 10:27:40 AM
i was asking for realistic suggestions
well obviously the addition of a hex input can't be fixed with software. However, like you we're hoping that the product developers are listening and will include 13 pin hex in the next product which could have been a monster synth.

And maybe they will not leave off the 5 pin midi din implementation like they did on the gp10.

Sure we can hope that Roland will update the software for the sy-300 to include some new features but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Because it's not going to happen. ;)

But as long as we're dreaming, let's put the GR300 model into the software update. Oh wait, the GR300 was actually 6 note polyphony for two oscillators per string and the sy-300 can't do that for all chord intervals because Roland didn't design the product for hex .  :o

admin

Sure we can hope that Roland will update the software for the sy-300 to include some new features but I wouldn't hold my breath.

This a realistic assessment of the situation with SY-300 - I do not expect any new firmware / features for SY-300

Likewise  I do not expect any new firmware / features for  Roland GR-55 or Boss GP-10 

gobi

in Trumps words: Sad. So sad.

I'm running my own business. If I had the chance to make one o my products better with small effort, I would not hesitate.

Kevin M

Quote from: gobi on October 12, 2017, 02:50:35 PM

I'm running my own business. If I had the chance to make one o my products better with small effort, I would not hesitate.

The return on investment has to be there, though. This is a very niche market for Roland.

gobi

Quote from: gumtown on January 19, 2018, 03:58:00 PM
It would have been nice if the "SYNTH ON/OFF" button was more configurable, instead of Synth off or Bypass.

I complete agree!

ElliotG

Feature Requests:
1) Nicknames for input sets - There are 3 system level input settings.  They are called Set 1, Set 2, Set 3.  I would like a nickname to be added so I can have them refer to a guitar.  It appears the me the reason for these system level settings is to set them for different guitars.  I might name them: Strat, SG, Les Paul... or single coil, P90, Humbucker.  If I step away for the system for a while I would not remember these settings without a nickname or memo.

2) A patch community (or communities)  integrated into BTS.  Much like  tone central in BTS provides patches and web like interface, I'd like to have something simpler but similar.  It would allow anyone to post, there would be tags, a star rating system(voted by users), slots for mpeg demos and brief text descriptions.  Boss could host a community of patches, other groups could host communities of patches (like this one).  They could also offer prizes and benefits to those that create the highest rated patches or make the most contributions to the patch library...

3) Improve the speed of the BTS editor.  The delays waiting for screens to paint interrupt the creative flow.