SY-300 - How about support from the SY-300 community by recording my patches?

Started by Rhcole, February 10, 2018, 01:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

I just posted a bunch of new patches. From time to time, I get admonished for not including MP3s of them.
Here's the deal- I don't use a recording setup. My equipment is optimized for live performance. When I record stuff, I have to resort to awkward nonsense such as recording into a looper and then transferring to my desktop computer. It's a pain in the ass and I don't like doing it.
A couple of years ago I asked if anybody would be willing to make and post recordings of the patches I post, and a couple of people helped out. Thanks!
Since then, nobody else has stepped up.
So, I thought I would ask again- anybody willing to record and post some MP3s? I'll bake the bread, will you help distribute it?

JiveTurkey

I'd be down for it. My problem with some of the patches that get posted is simply that a lot of them use external pedals or have configurations that don't match my rig whatsoever. So when I go to do something; the patches don't sound maybe as intended due to that fact.

Rhcole

Hey JT, I learned to start saving patches with the Exp pedal in the middle position. That way it gives the average experience of the patch when it is unplugged. Also, several of the patches I just posted don't rely on the pedal. SYmoog for example doesn't use it at all. Pillowverb just increases the reverb volume. Polysynth doesn't use it. I think only Tri Bass really requires the Exp.

chrish

Everybody's set up into the boss sy-300 changes the sound. It's nice to know what the creator of the patch intended the patch to sound like.

Rhcole

There's truth to that. I discovered my Tri Bass patch which I praised greatly when posting sounds dull and uninteresting on the same setup using a different guitar.

Many of us are used to hex COSM guitars which are much more uniform.

chrish

How about your Electro Harmonix synth9 and Mel 9, are they pretty consistent sounding across different guitars?

Rhcole

Absolutely for the Mel9, It would sound the same if you ran a duck call through it. The Synth9 is close though slightly less so. It's a two-edged sword though because they are not dynamic and responsive like the SY.

JiveTurkey

Your patches are all about the blending of guitar tone and synth RHC. So much great atmospheric stuff to be found it would almost be best to compose something around the tones instead of playing some sort of rehashed cover band riff off the top of my head. Which is my usual MO  8)

ElliotG

I've posted a few today... short examples inspired by the patches themselves.  I hope others find the examples helpful.
Nice job on the patches.   Many thanks for sharing them.

-Elliot

Rhcole