Helix a winner?

Started by Kevin M, April 18, 2017, 09:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin M

How are you all liking this unit?  Aside from its arsenal of amps, are the synth effects note worthy?

Elantric

Helix Synths are mono only - no  chords

patch to patch change time is rather high  - there are work- a- rounds, but not applicable when you must be changing between 6 + patches per song 

and by default it has the "line-6 sound" requires third party IR Cabs to smooth the harshness

I prefer the sound of Kemper and Fractal and Katana  - all have higher dynamic range and clean up when the guitar volume is turned down

vxboogie

Quote from: Elantric on April 18, 2017, 09:43:10 PM
Helix Synths are mono only - no  chords

patch to patch change time is rather high  - there are work- a- rounds, but not applicable when you must be changing between 6 + patches per song 

and by default it has the "line-6 sound" requires third party IR Cabs to smooth the harshness

I prefer the sound of Kemper and Fractal and Katana  - all have higher dynamic range and clean up when the guitar volume is turned down
Actually, firmware 2.20 adds a 3 note generator synth and a 4 osc generator. Also with snapshots, there is no delay. I doubt that I'll use it, but it was fun to play pad sounds underneath a chord progression.

hsuru4u

What about vs the headrush?

JiveTurkey

The Helix synth sounds are glitchy and messy. But they have A TON of potential. Supposedly they have hired staff on to work on the pitch side of the equation and, I am hoping; the synth block. The legacy synth stuff is cool in a primitive way. I am very interested to see how they progress that particular portion of the Helix platform.

Not sure why Boss dropped the synth block ball on the new GT as if anyone would be implementing that type of tech; you'd think it would be them. SY300 oscillators should have been a gt1000 no brainer addition but maybe I am biased.

arkieboy

As had been said before elsewhere, download a trial of the Helix native plugin which is identical to the pedals. 

Maybe I'm just easily pleased but I bonded with the plugin immediately.  I do need to check out the patch delay - the scene thing sound like it will work fine for me, I tend only to use the Jazz Chorus, Plexi and AC30 models anyway - but my credit card is threatening to levitate out of my wallet already.

One of the things I like is it's ability to connect to and route audio and midi through an attached computer.  Load Jam Origin into Mainstage, some plugins for my bass pedals and I'll be good for most of what I do with my 99 with the whole lot coming out of its XLRs.  Probably going to need to add piezo saddles to my main guitar though ...
Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

hsuru4u

i think the helix lt is a good value and the fact that they upgrade alot is great. I am not in the market for one but it seems the effects are robust for ambient stuff and the amp models have gotten better. The ax8 by fractal intercase is like 1990 to me lacking a headphone out and usb audio is lame to me for a 1k+ price Even if they are touted as number 1. I dont need a helix for my needs so i cant justify spending $800-1k. If i could get a used LT down the road in a year or 2 for 1/2 that i would consider it( when the touchscreen helix comes out)