Helix reverb compared to H9 or Strymon Big sky ?

Started by Headless68, April 18, 2017, 11:25:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headless68

I can't find anything on you tube for this - can someone who has a Helix let me know how the reverbs stack up against the Eventide H9 & Strymon Big Sky ?

jm345

Here is one person's comparison with the Strymon Big Sky:

Kevin M

Seems to be no comparison with the Strymon being far superior.

Headless68

Thanks - thought I had watched all of them but clearly not :-)

Re the Strymon, to be fair I don't think anything 100% touches it personally, but, the Helix (with 3rd party IR's) is starting to look like a nice proposition

jassy

Quote from: Headless68 on April 19, 2017, 09:13:31 AM
Thanks - thought I had watched all of them but clearly not :-)

Re the Strymon, to be fair I don't think anything 100% touches it personally, but, the Helix (with 3rd party IR's) is starting to look like a nice proposition
Probably not in the pedal field, but in the plugin format im sure there are contenders at the same quality level if not superior.
If i recall correctly you said are performing with a laptop, so you can run reverb plugins.

aliensporebomb

Just for fun: here was me playing with my VG-99 patches through the Big Sky.  It's a wonderful piece of gear - just wonderful and verges on being a musical instrument itself:

I'd also like to say there's a patch in the presets here for the GP-10 where someone tried to get as close as possible to a Strymon type sound and they got in the ballpark.   I would expect the Helix SHOULD be able to get in the neighborhood as well given its price point.  But might not be able to get some of the really expansive super stereo width soundscape things. 

The Big Sky with the VG-99 was a HUGE part of making the soundtrack for the film "Word of Honour" in Spring 2015.  If you want to take your soundscapes to the next level, the Big Sky is awfully hard to beat at the price point.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Headless68

I really do get drawn to the Strymon, but, having 32 effects blocks over 4 chains sounds like a lot of fun out of one box

Re laptop - I'm actually using iPad right now - tried MacBook (which died - graphics board fault) and a Mac mini but the whole mess of screens keyboards foot controllers was a pain live

I'm thinking at the moment Helix with the iPad running via one of the effects loops - keeps it simple & I may actually get away without backline & go into pa with a wedge monitor

admin

Quotelaptop - I'm actually using iPad right now - tried MacBook (which died - graphics board fault) and a Mac mini but the whole mess of screens keyboards foot controllers was a pain live

I fear you'll have a canoe without a paddle if you don't have a laptop while owning a Helix

Line 6 has frequent firmware updates and it's mandatory you own either a Windows or Mac  to apply them

also I feel it's mandatory to use The Helix Editor to apply third-party I are cab to tame the harshness of the stock helix and that does not run on an iPad

Headless68

I still have an iMac 27" - its just too large to take to gigs :-)

....I agree that the 3rd party IR's make a huge difference to the Helix overall sound - for the better