Joy of GR55

Started by Maudibe, September 18, 2011, 05:17:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maudibe

Got the GR55 on Wednesday...here's the result so far:

http://soundcloud.com/maudibe/insomnia

;D

Rob Hermans

I loved that! You've got me inspired and I'm itching to get my hands on the GR-55...in fact I won't sleep ;)

Maudibe

Thanks for that Rob - I tried very hard to stay clear of sax, brass and such parp.... also obviously cheese sounds such as accordian etc. My main purpose with the GR is to add texture, strings, alt tunings and fresh guitarish tones....I am also mixing the real sound of the guitar in there which really helps the percieved tracking and attack. This way latency has gone totally. I'm not really into making the guitar sound like a piano (yet) although I did make use of a nice church organ sound and some choirs in the track - again for texture. Oh - I also love the Nashville ttuning thing and have made a patch which mixes this with a choir. Sweet!
Now all I have got to do is thin the whole thing out because it is WAAAAAY too busy!  :-[

But that is always the problem with my tracks generally - I just get into the whole process and don't know where to stop. I need a producer to say NO!  ;D

Now_And_Then

Maudibe

;D Parp.... cheese flavoured brass.

Brass can be great of course... there is a significant difference between real brass and 'parp'.

Most synths produce 'parp' and call it brass.

Dont get me going on the physics of it... LOL

Unfortunately a lot of synths (including the GR) home in on the parp factor. It has it's place I suppose, but not in contemporary rock, blues or prog - my main interests. A great brass section is a thing of beauty. A parp synth is not. Of course playing style and restricting the notes to the correct range will help make things a little more authentic - but a saw wave does not a brass instrument make.