Tips for retro fit 13 pin on 24 pin guitar?

Started by Billy Kaffadrin, January 19, 2018, 01:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy Kaffadrin

Ok I'm pulling the old electronics from the GR505 and installing the GK2a pull from a Roland Ready start.
Issues so far, thrown out there being a bear of little brain today.
1. Size of the surface mount pot shaft holes on the GR are too small in diameter.
2. The GK2 pickup does NOT ALIGN the same as the older pickup. Do I HAVE to route this, cutting the pick guard? If I reverse it everything's backwards! Edit maybe I have it in there backwards, and should not simply follow the routing for the old pickup's wire. I see the new guitars have the logo on the top of  the guitar, the old pickup has routing for t he wiring at the bottom.
3. What controls should I put where? What room do I have with existing holes for straight guitar controls and which do I need for the GK2?

Links to wiring similar projects or the strat pickups on these appreciated! Thanks.

- Billy

chrish

Personally I would leave the stock pick up on the guitar and figure out how to adapt the ribbon cable to the GK2a board.

Billy Kaffadrin

Quote from: chrish on January 19, 2018, 07:41:04 PM
Personally I would leave the stock pick up on the guitar and figure out how to adapt the ribbon cable to the GK2a board.

I would have to solder 6 small wires from the board connector to the 30 year old ribbon cables...
Takes surface mount soldering skills which I lack!

I don't find much on this particular path with a search for "24 pin."  I imagine as most want to keep the 24 pin stuff onboard to maximize future "original" value.

chrish

Don't know if this will help. The second link the guy actually constructed a 24 pin to 13 pin conversion circuit and installed that in the guitar with a 13 pin out Jack.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11688.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=21425.0