VG-99 - a credible nylon sound

Started by xuoham, December 03, 2011, 07:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xuoham

from this post:
Quote from: xuoham on October 31, 2011, 08:50:32 AM
Wish i could coax as credible a sound as this one for nylon guitar, but this seems much harder, the nylon really doesn't sound too good so far.

I realized that there is way too much low mids on with the nylon algorithm. Less body, just about 20 for the attack, a generous scoop at 500 Hz and it starts to get convincing. Though the "nylon bug" appears once in a while, it is not so annoying because the nylon requires high string sensitivity of around 80 with a GK3 and my guitar, while all my other patches are around 35,40. A too low sensitivity, and the progressive shift in brightness from soft playing to strong playing will sound unnatural.

Now i am very happy with this setting, i don't know whether it would work on other guitars:

Body 65 Attack 20 Tone 20
Scoop -9dB at 500Hz with a Q of 2, +3dB on the low eq

Takes a careful sensitivity calibration though:
Sensitivity 6th 90 5th 80 4th 80 3rd 75 2nd 75 1st 90
My GK3 is rather low from the strings, about 1,5 mm, much better than the 1mm recommended IMO.

That's it, it didn't think it would be that simple, it's AGAIN all about strings sens. and eq.
Make the body parameter a zero and the sound is pretty close to a godin with piezo like Bub Roberts uses.

Don't know if it helps but for me it's been a revelation !

Cheers

:::::::::

Brent Flash

Are you going to attach the patch? If not I will have to move this topic out of the patch area.

Very good info just need a patch attached to be in this area.  ;)

xuoham

Ah bon ? Ok, i understand, sorry !

Here it is.

If you roll down the vol. knob (body=0) and press the S2 switch to activate a very squashy compressor, you switch from a classic nylon sound to a very Godin acs-sa slim like sound as used by Bub Roberts on his brilliant compositions and playing as can be seen on youtube.
:::::::::

Brent Flash

Quote from: xuoham on December 03, 2011, 10:08:26 AM
Ah bon ? Ok, i understand, sorry !

Here it is.

If you roll down the vol. knob (body=0) and press the S2 switch to activate a very squashy compressor, you switch from a classic nylon sound to a very Godin acs-sa slim like sound as used by Bub Roberts on his brilliant compositions and playing as can be seen on youtube.
Thanks for sharing! No problem, I just did not want to move the topic if you just forgot to post the patch, like some have done in the past. Including me!  ::)

aliensporebomb

Downloaded.  I will eagerly check this out.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

guitarnstuff

This makes me curious. How many folks use different pick up sensitivity settings per patch verses global?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk