Boss MS-3 MULTI EFFECTS SWITCHER FAQ

Started by admin, June 01, 2017, 12:50:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

https://www.boss.info/us/products/ms-3/

MS-3 Multi Effects Switcher
Pedalboard Integration Evolved

The MS-3 Multi Effects Switcher is a new-concept pedalboard solution that maximizes your creative options by combining a world-class multi-effects engine and multi-pedal switcher in one small, dedicated unit. Now, anyone can put together a professional effects system that's incredibly compact, extremely light, and versatile enough to achieve nearly any sound imaginable. The MS-3 is a sonic powerhouse capable of running six internal pedal effects at once while seamlessly integrating three of your favorite external pedals. It also offers deep rig control capabilities, allowing you to switch amp channels, adjust effects in real time, work with MIDI devices, and more. With the MS-3, it's easy to create a portable board or fly rig without the compromises associated with traditional loop switchers and all-in-one multi-effects units.

Pedalboard integration evolved.

Powerful integrated solution for creating a compact professional pedalboard
Unlimited sound creation with six simultaneous pedal effects and audio loops for connecting three external pedals
112 built-in effects types for guitar and bass, including delays, reverbs, mod/pitch effects, overdrives, distortions, and more
Intuitive user interface for easy patch creation
Backlit LCD, editing knobs, and panel LEDs for on/off status of loops and effects
Control assign, wave pedal, and other functions for deep real-time expression 
Equipped with numerous jacks for amp channel switching, effects control, and more 
MIDI output for working with MIDI-enabled effects 
Built-in tuner, noise suppressor, and global EQ 
USB for patch creation and backup via free MS-3 Editor/Librarian software
As Versatile As You Need to Be

The MS-3's highly flexible design gives you the freedom to create any kind of effects system, from simple to complex. It can serve as a general-purpose effects unit to augment core tone from three stompboxes, or function as the central hub of an advanced hybrid rig with MIDI gear and channel-switching amps. It even works as a standalone effects processor, making it perfect for fly dates and other times you need to travel light. And if you're just starting out, the MS-3 provides a solid effects foundation that can be expanded as your experience grows.

Three Loops for Your Choice of Effects

Via the MS-3's audio loops, you can connect three different effects devices to the system. You'll probably want to hook up your favorite drive and booster pedals to the loops, but you can use any effects you like. Once your pedals are connected, you're able to switch the loops on/off individually, and position the MS-3's onboard effects around them any way you want.

World-Class BOSS Effects Engine

To complement the three external loops, the MS-3 is equipped 112 effects types to choose from. They'reorganized in six categories, which are available simultaneously: FX1, FX2, Mod1, Mod2, Delay, and Reverb. FX1 and FX2 contain many different types, from overdrives and distortions to compressors, pitch shifters, Slow Gear, and many others. Mod1 and Mod2 offer the famous BOSS chorus and vibrato effects, plus tremolo,
flanger, phaser, and more. All the effects are fantastic for guitar, and there's also a large selection specially optimized for bass.

Big Creativity in a Tiny Package

The MS-3 is packed with decades of BOSS compact pedal and multi-effects know-how, and offers an ultra-efficient design that lets you dial in inspiring sounds right away. There's a backlit LCD that clearly shows patch/bank numbers and parameters, plus quick-access knobs for editing and status indicators for all loops and effects. And with 200 patch locations, you have ample memory for storing effects and control setups for instant recall.

Complete Foot Control

The MS-3's heavy-duty footswitches give you easy command of the entire system. In Memory mode, the footswitches allow you to select patches and banks. Changing to Manual mode lets you switch loops and effects on/off, and even control multiple effects parameters for intense real-time expression. Your Manual mode assignments can be stored in patches, letting you create dynamic custom setups for different songs and styles.

Pro Essentials

Going well beyond the basics, the MS-3 provides tons of options for expanded control. You're able to connect external footswitches for tap tempo, effects on/off, and parameter adjustment, plus expression pedals for volume, wah, pitch shift, and more. Control out jacks are available for switching amp channels and controlling effects that support external input. And there's even MIDI for sending tempo, PC, and CC information to MIDI-enabled pedals, whether they're connected to loops or not. In addition, the MS-3's two audio outputs can be set for full stereo or selectable mono operation per patch, providing great flexibility with dual amp rigs.

USB and Remote Editing

The MS-3 supports USB for accessing the free MS-3 Editor/Librarian software on a Mac or Windows computer. This lets you edit effects, assign control parameters, set tempos, and more via a convenient graphic interface. You can also back up and restore individual patches, and organize groups of patches into Live Sets for various gigs.

MS-3 EDITOR/LIBRARIAN RELEASE SCHEDULE
The MS-3 Editor/Librarian software will be available in mid-July 2017.

Smash

What a great looking and interesting little box! A bit like a GT1 minus all the pre-amps and cabs in a metal box with 3 loops. I love the big functionality in a small box idea.

Maybe a few will be disappointed there's not one stereo loop? All loops being mono kind of dictates the types of pedals you'll connect i.e. overdrives or distortions, not your Strymons etc.

One of the demo videos actually shows a close up of the MS3 on a board with a stereo pedal above with both L&R outputs connected which is a bit misleading.

Great for traditional amp users who've splashed on boutique drive pedals they can't live without - and in fact the video gently leads non tech guitarist into the land of MIDI Program Change with the Kemper profiler piece.

Cups

This thing looks cool. May be exactly what I'm looking for.

admin

Quote from: Smash on June 01, 2017, 01:31:34 AM
What a great looking and interesting little box! A bit like a GT1 minus all the pre-amps and cabs in a metal box with 3 loops. I love the big functionality in a small box idea.

Maybe a few will be disappointed there's not one stereo loop? All loops being mono kind of dictates the types of pedals you'll connect i.e. overdrives or distortions, not your Strymons etc.

One of the demo videos actually shows a close up of the MS3 on a board with a stereo pedal above with both L&R outputs connected which is a bit misleading.

The MS-3 is rather deep as a MIDI Controller, and its possible to connect modern stereo FX that provide remote MIDI control jack ( H9, Nemesis Delay, etc) After the MS-3 and still control them via the MS-3's MIDI Output

jwhitcomb3

The control output CTLOUT1/2 can be configured to be open/closed for separate cables with a splitter cable, or can be configured to send out 100 ms pulses to the TRS ring/tip. I wonder if it could be configured to connect to the Katana GA-FC input to switch channels on the Katana?

admin

The control output CTLOUT1/2 can be configured to be open/closed for separate cables with a splitter cable, or can be configured to send out 100 ms pulses to the TRS ring/tip. I wonder if it could be configured to connect to the Katana GA-FC input to switch channels on the Katana?

Only if the MS-3 CTRL OUT can transmit MIDI at x2 speed ( doubtful)

Katana GA-FC Footpedal data details:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19959.0

jwhitcomb3

Thanks for that. Looks like no GA-FC emulation on the MS-3 (but hey, I can dream!), have to use  MIDI to switch the Katana from the MS-3.

Smash

So it's competitor is what, the TC G system? Whivh is more expensive and lacks the assign depth?

Sevenmodes

Quote from: Smash on June 01, 2017, 01:31:34 AM
...Great for traditional amp users who've splashed on boutique drive pedals they can't live without...

This is me... I own a GT-100 that I use stand alone (with amp sims) for grab and go gigs, corporate events with full PA etc.

But for band bar/party gigs, I use it as a multi effect in front of a clean Hot Rod Deluxe. In that situation, have a small board alongside with a few drive/fuzz pedals and I use the GT as a mod, delay, reverb unit without amp/cab sims.

So, for me this is perfect because it will fit on my current board (it's only 4"x10" roughly)and eliminates a piece of gear I have to haul and hookup. Bonus - With a current draw of 280ma, looks like I can power it from a pedal board PSU (I use a Cioks DC-5).

So now I get Multi effects, ability to switch two or three drives on with one stomp, built in tuner and buffer all in a 4x10 box.

I've already pre-ordered... no brainer for me.

thebrushwithin

Looks like it would work very well with a Kemper,  if you can send cc#s when switching to manual mode, to control the Kemper FX. Add in the Boss FX, and create! Wow!

Cups

Looks like it lists for 550$ CND. Gotta love the difference between the US and CND.

Elantric

QuoteLooks like it lists for 550$ CND. Gotta love the difference between the US and CND.

Its $699 in Australia
http://www.bettermusic.com.au/boss-ms3-effects

global Currency exchanges fluctuate daily

Found that out when I worked for a German company who took 9 months to pay me , and by the time I got the check in the USA  , and the bank fees , it was for 1/3 less that my negotiated rate  because the fluctuating exchange rate 

chappi

So MIDI messages are only sent when patches change?

I assume the intention is that a midi capable effect in one of the loops could have parameters changed to match patch on MS3.

But wouldn't allow for a message to be sent to a connected GP-10 for 12 string on/off or to an ipad looper app for rec start/stop?

Or, due to lack of MIDI experience, have I missed something and assigns can be set up to send midi messages within a patch?

If its the former then my excitement is waning and I'm back looking for a midi controller for ipad and gp10.

Chris

Sevenmodes

MS-3 arrived today! Images below, but the thing I'm really stoked about is that it runs on 300ma pedalboard PSU outlet from a Cioks DC5! Wont get to really test it until tomorrow, but will report back.

Elantric

I'm seriously excited about this one (Boss MS-3)! Top shelf Boss effects and the unit is built like a tank. Also the controls and editing are really clear and easy to use.

LordByron

chappi

Quote from: chappi on June 04, 2017, 10:51:36 PM
Or, due to lack of MIDI experience, have I missed something and assigns can be set up to send midi messages within a patch?

If its the former then my excitement is waning and I'm back looking for a midi controller for ipad and gp10.

Chris

Of course it was the latter I missed the difference between patch midi 1-4 and assigns 1-8 targeting midi.

jwhitcomb3

Mine arrived Saturday. The upside for the editor/librarian not being available until July is I was forced to learn how to program via the physical interface. Actually, not bad at all. A whole lot of power and flexibility for such a small footprint.

I like being able to assign a function to subsequent presses of the current preset button (preset mode only). I've already found that to be useful to toggle the solo for the preset, or for tap tempo access (although I think I'll end up having a dedicated external foot switch for that).

polaris20

I wonder how good this is for bass? I was thinking of a Le Bass preamp from Two Notes, coupled with this. The Two Notes has MIDI, which the MS-3 could in theory switch channels. That'd make a helluva powerful little rig.

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: polaris20 on June 27, 2017, 07:48:04 AM
I wonder how good this is for bass? I was thinking of a Le Bass preamp from Two Notes, coupled with this. The Two Notes has MIDI, which the MS-3 could in theory switch channels. That'd make a helluva powerful little rig.
I haven't plugged in a bass yet, but there are a bunch of bass presets as well as dedicated bass algorithms.

The more I play with this the more I like it. All the footswitches and the knobs can be re-assigned or multi-tasked, so it can be customized to your particular needs. For example, if you only use presets and don't care about the stomp-box mode, you can assign the preset/stomp selector button to something else, such as tap tempo or controlling a loop. The assigns are great too. I love a clean delay for distorted sounds and a tape/modulated delay for clean sounds, so I have an assign switch the delay type when I turn a distortion/OD on or off. The global overrides to the button/knob assignments are handy if you want to dedicate a button/knob for all patches.

I also like that while there are still dedicated slots for certain classes of algorithms (FX1/FX2, Mod1/Mod2, DLY, REV), there is some cross pollination for example there are delay options in the FX1, FX2, and REV slots.

Oh yeah, and it sounds good. :)

The Roland/Boss terminology still throws me: I have to remember that "wave pedal" means "assignable LFO," "internal pedal" means "assignable ramp," "limiter" means "compressor without automatic makeup gain," and "compressor" means "limiter with makeup gain."

Peter the GR-eat...

Hi!

This seems to be a great product!
But...
I don't know if I got this right. But do you have press ctrl 1 and 2 at the same time  for bank down and ctrl 3 and 4 for bank up?

I'm asking because I have trouble with pressing ctrl 1 and 2 for tuner on my GP-10