Digitech Trio / Digitech Trio Plus

Started by Elantric, February 03, 2015, 04:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

suggest download ALL Digitech apps & Editors & Librarians

I expect things will go dark by July 1, 2018

jm345

What is the issue with Digitech? What about the other US Music Corp subsidiaries?

Elantric

Quote from: jm345 on May 11, 2018, 05:16:45 PM
What is the issue with Digitech? What about the other US Music Corp subsidiaries?

They were only distributed in USA by US Music Corp

But details are here
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/tom-cram-and-the-entire-digitech-dod-team-are-reportedly-laid-off.1940125/

and here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=23531.0

Its because after the Samsung Note 7 Disaster ( they lost billions up in smoke) , Samsung purchased Harman  International in 2016 for their pre-existing highly profitable Automotive Electronics contracts ( JBL, Harman Kardon, Infinity) had in place with the major global Automobile MFGs
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harman_International_Industries

https://www.harman.com/

Details:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2016/11/16/why-samsung-is-buying-harman/#3d64bb6e52e5
What Samsung Gets With The Harman Deal

While the Harman name is commonly associated with premium audio equipment, roughly 65% of the firm's $7 billion in revenues (for the 12 months ending September 2016) actually came from supplying components and developing software for auto manufacturers. Harman's automotive-focused products include navigation systems, infotainment, telematics and driver-assistance technologies.

Comparatively,  Digitech's (now a division of Samsung/Harman) profits past 6 years, while strong, were much less than the current $7 billion in revenues per year which comprise the Samsung/Harman share of global Automotive Electronics business (The market for automotive electronics is projected to grow to over $100 billion by 2025,)
https://www.statista.com/statistics/277931/automotive-electronics-cost-as-a-share-of-total-car-cost-worldwide/

https://www.harman.com/india/harman-audioworx-set-propel-future-car-audio-performance-design-and-development

and its a sad fact in todays iPhone  / Android  / Self Driving Car with sensors and cameras and Dolby Atmos surround sound in the  2018 automobile with CAN buss connected computers bumper to bumper - the combined profits of Samsung /  Harman Pro Audio Products ((   AKG, AMX, BSS, Crown, dbx, DigiTech, JBL Professional, IDX, Lexicon, Martin, Soundcraft, Studer and SVSI. ) do not match the forecast businesss opportunities for Samsung/Harman Automobile Electronics Business unit.

=

https://www.adventureteaching.com/our-blog/before-you-leave/10-things-to-know-before-moving-to-korea/

https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/harman-pro-to-restructure-layoff-650
Basically its my understanding all current existing Digitech products which are in production will continue to be available ( many are already manufactured in China)

https://digitech.com/en
but Samsug is terminating the US R&D design center  & engineering team in Utah that created current production tools such as   Digitech Trio / Digitech Trio Plus, Freqout, Rubber Neck , Whammy Ricochet, The Drop

Samsung currently owns all these audio companies - and are actively re-organizing them

Basically all the companies below are no longer US brands, but instead are now Korean owned brands
including AKG Acoustics, AMX, Crown Audio, Harman/Kardon, Infinity, JBL, JBL Professional, Lexicon, dbx, DigiTech, Mark Levinson, Martin, Revel, Soundcraft, Studer, ARCAM, and BSS Audio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harman_International_Industries

https://www.harman.com/

Harman Pro to Restructure, Layoff 650
By Clive Young. Coming just six months after closing its $8 Billion acquisition by consumer electronics giant Samsung, Harman Professional Solutions has announced it will undergo a major internal restructuring, radically revamping how it creates new technologies and brings products to market. That shift will result in 650 employees being laid off within the next nine to 12 months across its various professional audio, video, lighting and control system brands, which include AKG, AMX, BSS, Crown, dbx, DigiTech, JBL Professional, IDX, Lexicon, Martin, Soundcraft, Studer and SVSI.
CLIVE YOUNGSEP 14, 2017
New York, NY (September 14, 2017)—Coming just six months after closing its $8 Billion acquisition by consumer electronics giant Samsung, Harman Professional Solutions will undergo a major internal restructuring, radically revamping how it creates new technologies and brings products to market. That shift will result in 650 employees being laid off within the next nine to 12 months across its various professional audio, video, lighting and control system brands, which include AKG, AMX, BSS, Crown, dbx, DigiTech, JBL Professional, IDX, Lexicon, Martin, Soundcraft, Studer and SVSI.

Also with the layoffs will come closures of various facilities; earmarked sites will include Elkhart, IN; South Jordan, UT; and a number of smaller offices in Europe inherited over the last 10 years via acquisitions. In the wake of those closures, Harman intends to consolidate its R&D efforts into three "Centers of Competency," with acoustics to be headquartered in Harman Pro's existing facilities in Northridge, CA; electronics, DSP, and video and control tackled in AMX's hometown of Richardson, TX; and lighting centered in Martin Professional's longtime base, Aarhus, Denmark.

The planned centers are intended to be largely R&D based, creating technologies that will be funneled to a newly formed New Product Introduction (NPI) team that will turn the technologies into actual products. A conglomeration of R&D and design groups based in Shenzhen, China; Bangalore, India; and Budapest, Hungary, the NPI team is anticipated to provide more collaboration between the Centers of Competency, speed the process of getting products to market, and presumably foster more integration of technologies across the different markets' products.

Speaking to Pro Sound News sister publication, Systems Contractor News, David Glaubke, director of public relations, global professional solutions, Harman International, referred to the changes as "...the culmination of a transformation that the Professional Solutions Division has been undergoing for the last two years to better serve our customers, increase our competitiveness, and accelerate new product innovations."

Along with the consolidation, Harman Pro plans to invest in new ways to aid sales, in the form of new IT tools and platforms to aid distributors and representatives, as well as new "Experience Centers" in the U.S. and Europe, based on two existing sites in Asia where Harman customers engage with the company's products.

"We have given our employees advance notification of the changes we will make over the next year to assist with the transition and will do our best to mitigate the impact to our employees and their families," Glaubke said. "Importantly, we also will ensure that the process is completely seamless for our customers."

Harman Pro
pro.harman.com
https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/harman-pro-to-restructure-layoff-650

jm345

Thanks for the update. I own the Trio Plus and Freqout - nice products.

Majiken

Man, that is concerning- the Harman musical group has some great companies, and they are and have been doing a great job.  There is potential to improve, but I see a bigger danger of a slide.  I'll be following this one closely.
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

mauricioluque

I just created my second song with the Trio+ and I would to share it here with all of you.
It is a cover of "Do you want to know a secret" by The Beatles. I hope you like it.

You can download it here: https://www.mauricioluque.com/digitech-trio-songs/

Brak(E)man

How do you make this unit to do stuff that's weird or just wouldn't expect?
Is there a way to trick it or does it misbehave in any case ?
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

admin

Quote from: Brak(E)man on November 02, 2018, 05:55:27 AM
How do you make this unit to do stuff that's weird or just wouldn't expect?
Is there a way to trick it or does it misbehave in any case ?

Feed output of Trio into a Looper with a 1/2 speed reverse

Brak(E)man

Quote from: admin on November 02, 2018, 07:01:41 AM
Feed output of Trio into a Looper with a 1/2 speed reverse

Maybe the other way around?
I was hoping to make do unpredictable stuff whilst playing.
I don't have one so I can't try but I'm interested enough to consider getting one.
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

admin

Chumly

I have a Trio+ and I have not used it for some years. Is there some place to get the latest firmware and the updater?  I think the latest version is 2.02
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

JeffTronics

Don't get me started – lol. I check from time to time but have not seen any updates for it. I think I heard DigiTech went through an ownership change years ago and my take is, development on the Trio+ likely ended (this is just my opinion). They still push it on the website, however. I notice the product page is different. They don't display the latest FW update.

https://digitech.com/dp/trio-plus/

Before the so-called change of ownership, I had a conversation with their support that they were working one something more integrated along the lines of the Trio that would also support MIDI. In my opinion, this was the missing feature of the Trio. I got tired of waiting and found myself moving over to their SDRUM pedal. Super easy to tap/strum in a pattern on the fly, and I have stored 32 stored beats on the pedal and use a spreadsheet that indexes the songs each pattern is good for. Very easy. This has been part of my main home online rig since. It assumes you are playing with a live bass player of course.

I also own a BeatBuddy which is basically a door stop for me because of the shortcomings with the BB manager. Not sure if you follow the singularsound forum but they are a committed group and continue to contribute to the user songs library, but still, just not for me- yet. The patience of many BB owners is tested frequently because singular has assured everyone, they have been working on a new BB Manager from the ground up, while their other product line has been receiving more attention since. They are not stepping up. The upside of the BB is, it supports time sigs the SDRUM and Trio do not.

I contributed earlier in this post about how creative I became with the Trio+. I have not used this method in a while, but occasionally when I'm alone and need to set down a groove with Bass and Drums, the Trio+ stands out. The only hassle with it is, when you want to delete your first Loop, you must stop the pedal to delete the initial Loop pass. I was hoping that if they did push a firmware update, they would allow setting a new loop while the beat and drums are playing. My wish list included supporting a 6-foot switch to change more settings in tabletop and foot pedal mode. I still think it's a one-of-a-kind pedal and a best friend at times.

There was also a guy that posted on gearpage that created a windows app to extract the saved trio + songs and parse out the internal MIDI beats and bass to separate files with the idea that you can bring them into your DAW and build upon on musical ideas.

I've watched all the videos from The Pedal Guy because he seems committed to keeping the interest of the pedal alive. Kudos to him for that. I think it's safe to say some of us find the pedal an easier piece of gear to use then Band In a Box software, which rumor has it, Trio is built upon – so be it. It's cool.

Chumly

Sounds about right on all counts JeffTronics! I think I found everything I need; the only thing I am not 100% sure about is if the application called "trioupdaterinstaller_v2.0.2" actually contains the firmware, or if it must search the net for the firmware, and thus "trioupdaterinstaller_v2.0.2" is a loader only, it seems to be the former.

I also have an SDRUM and a TimeBender and there appears to be some common tech between these two as to rhythm sensing.

I miss DigiTech, the first piece of gear I owned by them was the DigiTech ISP33 Intelligent Pitch Shifter. I bought it when it first came out in the late 1980's, and I used it for vocal harmonies live (mixed unobtrusively).

As to the Trio+ I would have much preferred no onboard guitar processing, and instead more flexible audio routing, or at the least better drum sounds (its weakest feature).  Also dedicating an output in a hopeless effort to make a guitar amp sound good with bass and drums, is not good use of resources. Same with the effects loop, just more wasted I/O.

Also the effort put in to make the Trio+ software enabled was a waste of resources (rather like polishing a turd).  Those efforts would have been better spent on more flexible audio routing, or at the least better drum sounds.  Alas, the idea that many people are going to put significant effort into exporting the data from the Trio+ and then massage it in a DAW is cute, but improbable.

The Trio+ is a fun jam / practice tool, but it suffers from delusions of grandeur, while ignoring some of the basics. None-the-less I appreciate this crazy box, and it wouldn't surprise me if, in ten or twenty years, it became the basis for a new style of music, rather like the Roland TB303  / TR606, which I also bought new for their original purpose (little did I know what would happen!).
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

JeffTronics

Thanks for the additional info. You piqued my interest and I have 2.0.2 installed. And yes, the firmware is the "installer", even though it does not have "firmware" in the name. I used: trioupdaterinstaller_v2.0.2.exe. As a Mac user this frustrated me and I had to setup a Virtual Windows machine to install it back in 2017 running Win 7. This applied to a few other pedal updates that are Win only. It looks like the Digitech site no longer provides software downloads, and I found the 2.0.2 here:

https://trio-updater.software.informer.com/download/

NOTE: I always exercise caution with third party sites but fortunately when I had to resort to them for pedal updates, I've been lucky. In my case I'm using a Virtual machine, so I don't care what happens.

I believe the FW leveled the drum volume and some external foot switch Pedal functions. I mostly use the headphone out because it is stereo, which they have amp simulation on that can't be turned off. An annoyance since I feel it suppresses the dynamic range.

I'm not a drummer by any means and love the flexibility of creating beats by tapping on a Pad. I'm also not interested in current modern looping or beat music. I prefer older style kits for classic rock, jazz, improv, word, blues, etc. As you know, the SDRUM gives you a little of each of these kits to get you buy, and i saved 31 patterns which are sufficient for reuse. I leave the 32nd song preset open for creating patterns on the fly. To enhance the SDRUM, I route the stereo out to a Delay with a minor ping-pong off-set just to crisp things up and add some spaciousness to the sound. I also have the SR16/18 and love the sound they produce, but they do not have the free-form flexibility for what I do.

One Roland product that captures my attention is the HandSonic HPD-20. YouTube videos for it are enticing and I'm glad to see it's a good fit for some players that play World music. It's pricey and maybe someday I'll get one. I've seen some guitarists keep it in their arsenal, tap out a beat, and build a song in minutes. A very beautiful sounding machine. 

Good 55 Min video demo to skip through to get an idea:

Chumly

Hi JeffTronics, the HDP-20 is a fun machine sure, but it's over 10 years old now and rather pricey compared to the enhanced capabilities of a pad controller and a laptop.  As a single box live performance device the HDP-20 has definite appeal though.

It's on my wish list, but so is wishing Roland would come out with an updated version of the HDP-20 (not likely) and/or heavily discount the existing version (not likely either).

I expect for most people, a pad controller, laptop and keyboard controller would get them much-much further but for a gigging live acoustic kit drummer, the HDP-20 would add a lot of increased sonic potential without taking up much room or forcing a traditional acoustic kit drummer to run an eDrum kit.

I own a Roland TD-9 kit, and for me it's a much more practical choice than either an acoustic kit or an HDP-20, because it can, to some reasonable extent, cover both what an acoustic kit does, and what an HDP-20 does and if tied to a laptop its potential increases exponentially.

JeffTronics

Thanks Chumly. I see what you mean. And, to your point I already have two Akai keyboard controllers with Pads, and Ableton. But there is the convenience of having a stand-alone integrated component as part of my rig. Unless I found one in reasonable condition for an attractive price, I can live without and stick with my SDRUMS. I must remind myself I'm a guitarist first, after all. Thanks for weighing in.