GK Internal - install the LED?

Started by Elantric, February 10, 2008, 07:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

dead_lizard wrote>

just wondering if any of the other GK kit users out there bothered to install the LED. I held off doing it with my first guitar as it was another case of 'one more hole to drill', but since i've built a second body I decided to install it in the first one just to see how it looked.
Now i'm all for having bling on my guitar, but there has to be some sort of functionality as well. Which brings me to my question: is it possible to get the LED to indicate anything other than power on/off. I'm not sure how the GK circuit board is wired up in this regard. Is it just hard wired to go on when the cable is connected or does it actually receive values from the VG? If so, it would be really cool to have it as a stomp-box on/off light. Or even better still (!!!!) a tap-tempo indicator. Especially with SW1/2 and the GK vol close at hand, i could visually estimate if my delays, etc were in time and adjust them with the controls.

Also on the LED topic, does anyone know if it would be possible to replace the red LED with a tricolour one? Not for any functional reason, just cos it would look pretty! Would probably have to install a little circuit to make it cycle through the colours at a set rate.

And lastly, anyone else notice that some versions of the 99 seem to have yellow backit buttons and some have red? Mine are yellow for the record....

chipstar wrote>
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:47 am
Yeah d_l,
I had the light installed. It just required a new hole in the pickguard of my Strat HH. No big deal. You can replace the light if you'd like from my experience. The location of my light required splicing some extra wire so it is my belief that you should be able to replace the light entirely. All the light does is indicate that the VG99 is on. It serves no other purpose so it could be hidden or removed. My light is red although blue would have been nice. It seems that manufactures cycle through light colors for backlighting and displays on gear. At one point, green was in, then it was red and now blue is the new red. Know what I mean? I plan to post some photos of my guitar in a few weeks.

later,
Chipstar