SY-300 - 70's Tape Echo: Old School Class

Started by Rhcole, February 19, 2018, 04:46:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

I was there in the Seventies when the rep at the local music store told me about digital delays - "The echos are perfect sounding...". That seemed like such an improvement over the noisy, warbly echos of the time. No moving parts, either!

Lest you think this patch will be a parody or cartoon replica of old tape echos with grindy noisy warped and oversaturated echos, that's not what I was shooting for. Boss includes a tape echo as a choice in the FX, but it could use a little extra love. It just sounds kind of indifferent and sterile to me, not really inviting or warm. So, I ever-so-slightly messed with it across several dimensions to give a bit more character. It took longer than I expected to get something I thought sounded nice, but I like this now. The sound is like a well-maintained studio echo with a new tape. Those of you who want it more extreme sounding can go in and increase the various pulleys I put in place in the patch. One little surprise is a blended Sine wave Osc that you can't hear, but adds characteristic SY dirt and grind to the sound. Increase its volume and increase the pitch warble and watch what happens.

This is paired with a Fenderish amp including spring reverb. Let's keep this period-authentic. Exp controls echo volume, Ctl 1 selects between two echo speeds and feedback settings.

ElliotG

Lots of drippy echo here...
There is an interesting artifact that almost sounds like a drip behind some of the more percussive note attacks.  It adds a very nice character to the sound.

With an effect like this one, I really wish the quick knob settings were per patch rather than global.  It would be nice to assign the feedback to one of the quick knobs.  Possible enhancements add mix to the expression pedal, and tap tempo ;D

Example attached.