What's your fave looper or pick for "best" these days?

Started by mooncaine, August 01, 2015, 07:24:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mooncaine

I am wanting a looper, but wondering what I want. Haven't thought about 'em in so long, I'm totally out of ... touch. The reviews I see are a couple years old, but I bet you loopers out there have great ideas on the best loopers, right? Lei 'm on me, purty please.

I like the idea of lots of loop time, and also lots of loops.

--moonie

Headless68

if you have an ipad worth checking Loopy HD - you can have up to 12 loops and use external pedals to control it

mooncaine

Thanks, I'll check that out! 12 loops. Yum.

Oh, bummer, it won't work with my old iPad.

aliensporebomb

I'm digging the Boss RC-300 quite a bit - it lets me do "live multitrack recording on stage" as I call it:

It's three loops with undo but you can do a lot with it.  Build up convincing representation of a band live with one person?  Check.  Do Frippertronics style looping in addition to song style?  Check (see for info on how to do it).  Save recordings you did live for future use in a studio project?  Check. 

If I didn't have this?  There are tons of other options: Pigtronix Infinity, Electro Harmonix 45000 or 22500, and for basic stuff the TC stuff seems like they are offering compelling basic loopers.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

mooncaine

It has definite possibilities, as an old pal used to say. Thanks for the video links and for sharing your impressions. Dunno if I want to wait for the 22500, but that looked pretty good based on what little I've seen so far. Wonder how soon it'll be available.

Headless68

the 22500 does look good - its been coming for some time (over 6 months) so I would think that its very close to available now (some places are taking preorders)

aliensporebomb

The Guitar Center in Edina, Minnesota has a used 45000 and external control pedal for a really low price right now - I saw it today. 

chlorinemist

The fader-based workflow of the EHX 2880 and 45000 loopers makes them much faster and more intuitive for pitch transposition and loop editing than any of the other loopers on the market. (Besides maybe the Electrix Repeater. Got one on the way here so I'll find out in a few days :) ) I can rapidly and accurately shift a loop up and down not just an octave, but also intervals like 3rds or 5ths. I can even create a melody from a simple drone with the pitch fader by recording the pitch manipulation to the loop. I can record the volume fader movement as well, and manually create tremolo effects by rapidly turning the fader up and down. Very very fast.

The Looperlative LP1 is definitely a standout for its featureset:
•8 simultaneous, fully indendent, synchronizable stereo loops
•full midi implementation
•feedback control
•2 pairs of stereo aux outputs for sending tracks to different destinations (amps, DAW tracks, FX processors, etc)
•+/- 1 oct varispeed.
•can trigger a sequence of up to 8 commands per button
•midi clock generation + sync

It's basically a Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro on steroids. Unfortunately the support, while not non-existent, is not the best. Apparently they are on firmware 2.4 and haven't updated the manual since v1.2 ? ?? ?? wtf
Also I really wish it used USB instead of ethernet for connecting to the computer. IP networks are extremely confusing to set up for audio... Also lacks internal memory.

The Electrix Repeater seems to have some important features missing from the 2880 and the LP1. Specifically, timestretching, as well as pitchshifting that doesn't affect loop length. Hopefully it will make a good tag team partner for my LP1

Shingles

Electrix Repeater
Four mono tracks, assignable as stereo pairs.
Nine internal loops; no limit on a CF card.
Independent time shift per track.
Independent pitch shift and time stretch per track.
MIDI note control of pitch shift - record a loop then play it from a MIDI guitar.
Stereo fx loop.
Bounce in place.
Metronome.
What you hear is what you get..... or not.
MIDI clock slave or master.
Trim start and end points.
Undo.
Beat/tempo detection.
Mono mic, stereo line and stereo turntable inputs.
Feedback control.
Seamless loop transitions......

The list goes on.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

Brak(E)man

Quote from: Shingles on May 29, 2017, 12:01:01 PM
Electrix Repeater
Four mono tracks, assignable as stereo pairs.
Nine internal loops; no limit on a CF card.
Independent time shift per track.
Independent pitch shift and time stretch per track.
MIDI note control of pitch shift - record a loop then play it from a MIDI guitar.
Stereo fx loop.
Bounce in place.
Metronome.
What you hear is what you get..... or not.
MIDI clock slave or master.
Trim start and end points.
Undo.
Beat/tempo detection.
Mono mic, stereo line and stereo turntable inputs.
Feedback control.
Seamless loop transitions......

The list goes on.

I have one that's been sitting for 15 y
Time to get it out of storage
A great looper
But I never got a card that worked perfect
Could you point me to one ?

And I recommend a look a exh 720
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

chrish

I have two Loopers, a boss RC 300 and a boss RC 20. Both work fine for my needs.

www.perfectcircuitaudio.com/effects-pedals/viewall/boss-rc-300-3-track-loop-station-pedal.html

On sale for $466.65 with free shipping.

Shingles

Quote from: Brak(E)man on May 29, 2017, 12:55:36 PM
A great looper

A great looper

I know they are supposed to be very choosy about cards if you want to stress it by, for example, recording two tracks to the card while playing back two tracks in reverse. I always record to the internal memory and only use a card for archival or simple playback.
Nik
--------------------------------
Tonelab, VG99, Axon AX100, EDP, Repeater
Godin, PRS, Crafter and Roland guitars
Center Point Stereo Spacestation V3

Elantric

I have one (Electric Repeater)  that's been sitting for 15 y
A great looper

This is the CF card for the Electrix Repeater
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Pretec-256MB-industrial-CompactFlash-CF-Memory-Card-CFH256-CP-/291787734029?hash=item43efe77c0d:g:9MYAAOSwqu9VLu9~
Original Pretec 256MB CompactFlash CF Memory Card industrial CFH256-CP works with Electrix Repeater

Yahoo Electrix Repeater  Group
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/repeater-users/conversations/messages

aliensporebomb

Just went out on a gig running Boss GP-10 + Strymon Big Sky + Pigtronix Infinity (plus extra Pigtronix footswitch) and that was a great little setup.

That looper has two loops.  I'm used to three but was able to do quite a lot with this setup:

improv1:

improv2:

Loops can go backwards or forwards, instant undo, midi tempo sync (in other words it can accept tempo from other devices), save loops in 24-bit 48 khz quality, is much smaller than my RC-300, has USB connectivity to offload saved loops and place stereo loops in memory for playback at a gig, etc.

Why did I get this if I already have an RC-300? 
Well, the Pigtronix was my plan B already and I got a deal I couldn't pass by (Infinity Looper with a lot of memory + the external footswitch etc for less than the price of the looper alone).  I've heard rumors of an Infinity II but I didn't care at that point. 

The sound quality is so nice - the RC-300 was nice and clean but the Infinity sounds clear, clean and warm if that makes sense.

Anyway, questions?  Just ask.