GP-10- Do you have a favourite cab sim?

Started by Redvers, January 15, 2018, 04:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redvers

Hi, the more i play through an FRFR speaker the more I realise there's no benefit to modelling a 4x12 cab. Way too much bass, even if it is an accurate recreation. I'm pretty much setting all my patches to the 4x10 because it cuts the bass out and leaves more room to play. I'm also boosting the mids on all the cosm amps. Does anybody else do this?

mooncaine

Me, on vg-99, gr-55 (in the past), and GT-1. When I hear it, I think it sounds like an amp that's too bassy and maybe even too far away. I tend to prefer smaller speaker sim settings, and sometimes the guitar sounds bigger when I just use a single speaker sim.

For me, it's more that I prefer the sound of open-back to closed-back.

My fave amp model in my daily rig (vg-99) is modeled after the sound Roy Buchanan gets on the album "Live Stock." I set it to a 11" 2-speaker open-back.

Redvers

I'm an open back man too, don't think the GP-10 offers it though. But yeah it seems theres a huge difference between amp bass and proximity miced up bass and the latter can dominate a powered speaker.

sixeight

The 4x10 is my favorite cab as well.

ktat

I pretty much use the 4x10 cab for everything.  I love it coupled with the Marshall, twin, and natural clean! 

Alex

Same for me, I recently found that 4x10 and DYN57 is the best combination and does allow each Amp to express it's own identity without having to put everything to 11 to compensate for the boomy sound of the original or 4x12.

I never owned a 4x12 nor did I miced one but I wonder if the simulation here are really good, probably could get a better sound with IR of GT1000. I was tempted to use a Mooer radar speaker simulator to replace the one from the GP-10 at some point.

Talking about the mids I often boost +2db at 1.6khz in post or pre Eq

Alex

That said I also noticed a bug in Boss Central. When you are not using the original speak you go in tab 1 or 2 of the amp settings and then back in tab 3 you can only select the speaker type, the other settings are missing until you select again the original speaker type. Do you have the same problem ? So any time I need to use 4x10 (almost always now) I have to make my settings correct the first time, otherwise I need to select orignal speaker and again the 4x10 to access all the speaker settings.

Redvers

I've not noticed that but the Boss editor has been buggy of late. I don't trust it. 

Cups

I tend to use whatever the "original " speaker is. I'll experiment with the 4/10 though.