Is GP-10 more forgiving of fret noise than GR-55 on acoustic models?

Started by clarkey, August 29, 2017, 07:15:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clarkey

I drive a GR-55 from a guitar with relatively low action, which generates very few tracking problems or ghost notes on synths. However, I struggle to get decent acoustic guitar sounds as these models seem to accentuate any minor low-E & A string fret buzz to create loud, percussive artefacts - the type of sound used in flamenco by palming all strings of an acoustic against the body & fretboard, which is useful, but only when deliberate!

Consensus seems to be that the GP-10 provides better guitar modelling in general - can anyone with access to both devices GP-10 and GR-55 can comment on whether the GP-10 is more forgiving of fret-buzz?

Thanks,
G&L Legacy Tribute GK-3, PRS SE254 P90 GK-3, GR55, Katana 100-112

admin

In regards to fret buzz, both GP-10 and GR-55 (and VG-99) faithfully  reproduce what your strings are doing including fret buzz

Have you tried the GR 55 Acoustic patches (re-creations of the GP 10 acoustic patches from Ainsoph and Autana ?

Dozens more GR-55 Acoustic patches
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=74.0

If fret noise is a problem try polished round wound (Half Round) strings
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Strings-Flatwound-vs-Halfwound-vs-Roundwound-/10000000176629522/g.html

Some folks will use guitar to midi like the Fishman FTP or jam origin MIDI  guitar to drive acoustic guitar samples in SampleTank or Eastwest samples - but when playing fast runs I always find the latency far too distracting your mileage may vary

clarkey

Thanks for the response admsustainiac. I take your point regarding the Roland units' faithful reproduction of the strings behaviour, which is a strength of the technology that I appreciate.

Thanks also for the steer on GP-10 based acoustic patches, which I'll check out.

However, this makes me realise I should have been clearer with my question so I've updated the subject. It's specifically the steel-strung acoustic model (in the GR-55 at lest) that I'm struggling to tame, as it seems to accentuate low string fret buzz than any other models - almost like there's an exciter in play or an acoustic simulator pedal. I guess it's the nature of this particular beast to be bright and the model doesn't know what the player is trying to do - it just reacts. A little buzz seems to go a long way though, whether driven by the GK-3 on my G&L or my PRS (though both have low actions with minor fret buzz).

I'll work through the steel-strung acoustic patches and maybe sneak out past the GAS police and try a GP-10 ...just for research ;)

admin

The GP-10 Guitar modeling is just a bit more refined, less background noise, more dynamic range - but same ballpark as GR-55

folks have been using the "Patch cloning method - to create patches for your gear inspired by great patches on other Roland / Boss units

might try recreating this GP-10 Acoustic Guild patch on a GR-55
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17804.msg126864#msg126864

and use the Boss Tone Studio for GP-10 "offline" to review the GP-10 Acoustic Guild patch setting, and recreate using Gumtowns GR-55 Floorboard Editor

clarkey

Thanks for pointing out that rather nice Guild patch - and the recipe for cross-box replication!