Boss GP-10 Reviews

Started by myksara, June 12, 2014, 12:39:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

montyrivers

Well I want a gp10.  I just don't think it's there yet.  I need a simple way to have direct patch change control otherwise I'm fine with holding off on it until I get a version with 5 pin midi or some kind of reasonable work around that doesn't involve bringing a pc/mac to a gig. 

Everything else sounds stellar. 

acousticglue

Hooked up to Godin LGXSA and setting parameters went fairly smoothly. I chose Piezo on input type and manually set parameters. Tracking is great except for a a couple patches on drum like synths that they say ghosting can occur. Noisewise it is very good. Like Elantric said noise floor reduced. First opinion on synths is that they sound as good or better than VG99. There is actually more sounds there than I thought I was getting. I use toggle on guitar to patch switch. If I palm mute then some of extraneous notes stop and even less noise. So sponge damper or something would work awesome when needed.

Note: I didnt hook up 1/4" and there were a few guitar patches that triggered 0 response. Thought my cable or toggle was going bad. But once got past that area was fine.

supernicd

I'm really enticed by the review so far.  The main thing keeping me from the buy button at this point is concern that the GP-10 will repeat the same circle of annoyance that I had with the GR-55, and that the VG-99 solved for me gracefully.

1.  Sit at home in my studio with a PC based editor and tweak sounds to what I believe are perfection. 
2.  Take it to rehearsal and find that adjustments are needed once the tone is in a mix.
3.  Squat on floor in mild pain, button through sub-menus in frustration while rest of band waits impatiently
4.  Give up and decide to tweak again offline at home.
5.  Go to 1.

Think I'll hold off on purchase until a few early adopters can road test them.  Obviously if you don't play live this won't be a concern for you.

How do amp/cab models compare to Boss GT-100, which is the latest iteration of COSM until this?  Anyone have both?

Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

maan108

GP-10 MIDI -note out
Speaking about MIDI out (driving 5 pin din midi device), I think that GP-10 cant work without its PC program. This is the same limit (midi speaking) as FTP. In the unit manual I've not found MIDI set up on board (ie. string/channel and so on).
For now, what I can able to understand about this matter is : If you want to drive a Hw midi 5 pin device you have to link this to a DAW having this port and route to this the usb to midi out from GP10 driver.
Someone can correct me ?
I don't think  that Mr. Roland came out a unit that substitute  PC driver midi works, maybe this will be more expensive than PC !!

Thanks to all !

jassy

Quote from: acousticglue on July 12, 2014, 04:44:41 AM
First opinion on synths is that they sound as good or better than VG99.

The VG99 doesn't have a full synth like the new OSC synth included in the GP10, you tried it? Its supposed to sound very different and much better, just like a real Synth.

Elantric

QuoteSpeaking about MIDI out (driving 5 pin din midi device), I think that GP-10 cant work without its PC program. This is the same limit (midi speaking) as FTP. In the unit manual I've not found MIDI set up on board (ie. string/channel and so on).

The Boss GP-10 "Guitar to MIDI" is very similar to the GR-55 Guitar to MIDI, (with same controls, like  Nuance, etc but with the benefit the hardware USB Driver on Boss GP-10 is more efficient, so when driving soft synths, the GP-10 does react a bit faster with lower latency than GR-55.

But lets be clear, you mention the FTP requires a PC/MAC to drive external hardware - this is NOT the case. The FTP is "USB CLASS COMPLIANT" (burn that phrase into your memory and look for products with that feature), because "'USB CLASS COMPLIANT" devices will work directly with IOS devices (iPad, iPhone, iPOD Touch, Android Phones and Tablets with USB OTG (On THe Go) Ports, and work directly with no driver with Kenton USB HOST to MIDI and iConnectMIDI, iConnectMIDI4+ to drive 5 pin MIDI Hardware  Tone Modules, and Keyboard Synths.

Its a shame the GP-10 is not "USB CLASS COMPLIANT"

QuoteFor now, what I can able to understand about this matter is : If you want [Boss GP-10] to drive a Hw midi 5 pin device you have to link this to a DAW having this port and route to this the usb to midi out from GP10 driver.

True, for now and always it would appear.

Elantric

Ive disabled the Amp Modeling and FX in the GP-10, and simply feed COSM Modelied Guitars to the GP10s LEft mono Out -to test if the GP-10 can work as a Variax.

I'm happy to report the noise floor is low enough on the GP-10, that I can use its left mono output connected directly to input on my IK iRig Pro 24 bit iPad interface, and essentally use the GP-10 as a "virtual Variax". The GP-10 can assign the GK-3 S1 & S2 switches to peform COSM Modeled PU selection up/ down  - just like a VG-99.

I will re-try later when I can get near a real guitar amp ( as Im still on he road in hotel in Los Angeles)

This opens up many doors and basically makes a "RackVax" obsolete.

Pick any Line 6 Variax Model, and I can report my stock 2012 Godin xtSA > Boss GP-10 set with its FX off and COSM Amp Modeling "off",  basically makes the  Tyler Variax redundant.

I can hear the question " So you will be selling all your Variax's then? "  in m case No - because Every guitar inspires modes of playing for me. I compose and play differently on every guitar, maybe because when I pick up a guitar, I try to be an "open channel" and conduit for the spirit of music, and I love my JYV-59 with Bigsby as GUitar  because I use the normal Mag PU's 90% of the time.

merman93

I am so happy with the improvements in noise floor that Elantric elaborated on in his posts.

I have integrated my GP-10 into my system at the front end with an A/B, running into my Ground Control Loop Switching System, allowing use of all my normal effects etc. then on to Kemper and 2 Tech 21 Power Engines. See pic.(grrrr i wish I could figure why it won't post correctly,...sorry, at least if you click the pic it opens up correctly).

My girlfriend is sooo pissed off at me as I told her I would be up in recording loft all weekend tweaking the GP-10,... I am THAT impressed with it !!!
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

whippinpost91850

Damn it! You guys are driving me crazy I guess I'm gonna have to order one

Elantric

I wont be near my Kemper until tomorrow  - But know the Boss GP-10 has made this a very exciting week.

If you are within driving distance of Nashville - Roland / Boss plan a new product launch July 15 at Summer NAMM Show.

They are already planting rumors on the main corporate page -  will basically be a re-hash of 2014 Musicmesse, focused to inform USA dealers about GP-10, GT-001 - (who remain clueless and ignorant here, too distracted and no interest unless its one of the Kardashians or LeBron James saying "Whats up! Boss GP-10 be all that!"
http://www.roland.com

and remember that next Saturday NAMM is open to the public, so if I was living within a 4 hour drive to Nashville i would make the trek.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11386.0

I figure the GP-10 will be prominently displayed with many demo stations for review.

But for the price of gas and hotels these days - just use our group buy and order one.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10877.0

jassy

Quote from: Elantric on July 12, 2014, 08:09:39 AM
IRoland / Boss plan a new product launch July 15 at Summer NAMM Show.

They are already planting rumors on the main corporate page

According to the Roland web its a Boss thing, so no the highly desired VG100  ::)

Elantric

Quoteno the highly desired VG100 

Not due until 2017

Now_And_Then

Quote from: Elantric on July 12, 2014, 08:24:22 AM
Not due until 2017

Is this your surmise, or is it based on actual knowledge, or something specific that you were told by someone in a position to actually know, or something similar? (Just wondering. I am familiar with reasoning based on Roland always having had a VG in production for the last 20 years, putative timelines for the release of new VG's based on the periodicity of past releases, and so forth. All of that is kind of vague and of limited reliability.)

Elantric

This is my guess, based upon lots of conversations with insiders who also report times remain very tough for Roland

Get educated

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10865.0

Now_And_Then

Quote from: Elantric on July 12, 2014, 09:04:58 AM
This is my guess, based upon lots of conversations with insiders who also report times remain very tough for Roland

Get educated
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10865.0

Yes, I read that thread, attentively, six weeks ago.

I would think that Roland's difficulties could just as easily cause them to simply cancel any "major" projects such as a "VG-1010" for fear of ending up with a VG-99-type market failure. I would think that that would be a more likely result of Roland's situation than attempting to defer, delay, or draw out the development of a major product - courses of action which might just as easily increase costs as opposed to decreasing them.

Similarly, I can't really see why Roland would want to release any product approaching the VG-99's complexity (and cost) when the VG-99 sold so poorly and the GR-55 outstripped it in sales to such a incredible degree.

Depending on project lead times and when work on  its design was started, it could be that the GP-10 embodies a new, "post-VG-99" (and "post-GR-55" considering its success!) philosophy of reasonably priced, less bells-and-whistles-ridden appliances as opposed to what they must consider costly behemoths such as the VG-99.

It's not a bad change in philosophy, as far as I am concerned. From the minute I first saw the VG-99, I was disappointed to see the guitar-to-midi feature, or the D-beam or ribbon controller, or the V-Link on the VG-99 as I felt that it would increase the price without delivering the amount of benefit that one would expect for the extra cost. (The GP-10, however, might be a little more stripped down than I personally would like. Roland however is not interested in my opinions, they are interested in actual sales figures.)

The apparent software-dependence of the GP-10 does worry me, however. I do not want to have to rely on Roland to keep their editors and librarians up-to-date for future operating systems.

drbill

Quote from: Now_And_Then on July 12, 2014, 09:51:06 AM
The apparent software-dependence of the GP-10 does worry me, however. I do not want to have to rely on Roland to keep their editors and librarians up-to-date for future operating systems.

This is bad for users that want to keep gear long term and would force a 3 year or so upgrade cycle for most users (those that don't want to deal with virtual OS hassles),
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

shawnb

Quote from: Now_And_Then on July 12, 2014, 09:51:06 AMThe apparent software-dependence of the GP-10 does worry me, however. I do not want to have to rely on Roland to keep their editors and librarians up-to-date for future operating systems.

Is there a dependency on the editing software?   It doesn't appear so...  Navigating the parameters is explained at the top of pg 5 of the manual:
    http://lib.roland.co.jp/support/en/manuals/res/63181352/GP-10_e02_W.pdf

My biggest question is whether there are "mousie death squeals" when playing the synth, ala the GR-55. 

If there are no such artifacts, this is starting to look tempting...

With regards to the marketing, my thinking has been that the GR-55 was a major success because of its versatility, due largely to the PCM synth.  I don't think this will match the marketing success of the GR-55. 

Where the GR-55 was GUITAR+SYNTH, the GP-10 looks like GUITAR+GUITARSYNTH. 

It will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

supernicd

QuoteSimilarly, I can't really see why Roland would want to release any product approaching the VG-99's complexity (and cost) when the VG-99 sold so poorly and the GR-55 outstripped it in sales to such a incredible degree.

To paraphrase what Bill Ruppert said in a different thread, as I sit here in front of my VG-99 today, I can't imagine why any guitar player wouldn't be drooling over having one of these things.

I think a VG-100 could sell like hot cakes.  Its just going to take better marketing, better education both for end users and retailers, and maybe a more involved and eager Roland [non-UK & Japan] division.

Maybe some lower cost devices to give guitarists newer to VGuitar a taste will help too, as the flagship will no doubt be expensive.  In my case I wouldn't have been ready to take the plunge without a smaller step (in my case the GR-55).

To your point though, eliminating the D-Beam, Ribbon Controller, and VLink to reduce the cost would have been fine with me. :)
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: Elantric on July 11, 2014, 04:05:45 PM
My self I'm hanging on to the old stuff - mostly for legacy test for any product development.

But I'll share I just placed my order for my 2nd Boss GP-10  - its that good.

Ok I ordered #2 as we'll.
Two linked will indeed take it to a VG-100.
And still a great bargain.

Spider

@Bill Rupert
Do you thing that GP-10 could create sounds similar to EHX B9?

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: Spider on July 12, 2014, 12:59:15 PM
@Bill Rupert
Do you thing that GP-10 could create sounds similar to EHX B9?
No
They dropped the organ model.
But you can mix the B9 right in using the aux in and drive it with the guitar out.
Then you have it all!

Spider

Yes I consider this routing and I probably will buy B9 and GP-10 :)

Spider

BTW: to which real synthesizer is similar (match best to) GP's 2 OSC synth? Prophet 5? Minimoog? I would like to know because it would be good starting point for looking for and creating patches.

mbenigni

Long shot here, but has anyone been inside the gp10 yet, to see whether there is an unconnected MIDI test jack?

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on July 11, 2014, 11:39:03 PM
my ears tell me we have a more powerful Dual OSC synth inside the Boss Gp-10 than dare I say  - the VG-8EX HRM Synth.

Hold the phone. Does this imply that a talented patch programmer could get the sort of real instrument (eg strings etc) approximations that Bill Ruppert achieved with the vg88 back in the day??