Locking Female 13-Pin DIN Socket

Started by edwmccann, March 05, 2017, 10:55:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edwmccann

Hello All:

Have been trying to find a thru-chassis (not a printed circuit board mount) female 13-pin DIN socket that actually has a latch receptacle to accommodate the male 13-pin DIN circular plug with locking detent (as they all seem to have).

What am I missing?

Do the female sockets not have a receiving detent, and rely only on the slight pressure of from the male plug detent?

I need a source of such a female receptacle, and would prefer one with a locking detent that receives the matching "press to release" latch from the male plug.

Does anyone have a suggestion or source?

Thank you,

Edward McCann

sixeight

gumbo

Hi Edward,

Please be sure to read the most recent posts in the above thread for the most up-to-date information on models and availability.

HTH

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

edwmccann

Thanks all.

Just what I'm looking for.

I have to wonder why the DIN connector world let this latching device for chassis mounts lie fallow for so long. (To Peter's and our world's benefit!!) They are just not available  in mainstream electronics Mouser, Newark.

Only response I've heard as to why even offer a detent latch at all suggests that in-line connector cables and extensions in fact do include detent and latches to permit the male and female units to latch securely, due to their potential to be easily disconnected while cables are deployed on the stage or floor or wherever.

The rather miserable job of soldering into the world's smallest cups for #22 AWG gauge wire (the only thing worse being trying to solder vertically thirteen parallel wires on the male connector) has been solved by tiny soldering elves and the potting connector!

Great work.

Looking forward to reading the installation instructions and placing an order.

Edward McCann

whippinpost91850

I now have Synth-Lynx jacks on everything.. Thanks to peter for a great product

vanceg

I have to chime in and say that these Synth-Linx 13pin jacks are really wonderful.  I just installed one on my Cycfi Nexus box to provide 13 pin output (the Nexus box provides individual outputs, stereo mix and 13 pin output from my Cycfi pickups.  The box doesn't come with a 13pin output jack, but does have connection points internally for the individual string outputs that can be run to a 13 pin jack.  The Synth-Linx jack was SUPER simple to install and the build quality is excellent.

Majiken

+1, the Synth-Linx jack took my Godin LGX-T and 13-pin gear from iffy in my music room to frontstage, where they belong. This is the stuff!!!
Take what you need, put back a bit more, leave the place behind you better than it was before :-)

www.majiken.rocks

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Shel

Personally, I'm thinking about changing to a 15-pin D-Sub (VGA) connector.  I think the 13-pin DIN was a bad choice from Roland!  I have a Ghost Bridge piezo set-up and it wouldn't work on the GK-3 unless you made some adaptor (DIN to D-sub).  The D-sub would allow you to repair the connector on the cable, it's possible to get a 90deg right-angle connector for the cable so you can still loop it through the guitar strap and most important of all.. it has larger pins and much much better locking system.  I've had nothing but problems with the DIN connector set-up... it works for a while and then becomes intermittent. The pins (both male and female) are too small and not at all robust.  I'm waiting for my warranty to expire before making this change.  If anyone has any other connector type suggestions, would love to hear about it.  There are other military type DIN connectors but they're expensive.  You can look at "DigiKey" or "Newark Electronics" or "Mouser" websites.