SY-300 Blender

Started by chrish, October 02, 2015, 03:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chrish

One of the cool features ot this new synth is the Blender function button, which can build random patches using oscs settings and fx settings stored in other user patches. I just realized (as I downloaded the three patches that Rhcole provided), that if your user presets are loaded with all of one type of patch, like all ambient, or all bass, or all saw lead sounds, then the blender will produce only those types of patches.

Right now, I'm using those downloaded patches and building other ambient patches from those by making simple adjustments, like increasing the Pulse width of one of the osc or turning down the feedback rate on the delays. Once I have a complete bank of ambient type patches, it will be interesting to see what the Blender does when it doesn't have any saw waves to select from to buzz up the mix.  ;D

Rhcole

Great point. If you like ambient, building different structures that are dissimilar and having them loaded into the same bank gives the Blender more to work with. There's more than one way to build an ambient patch, probably 4 or 5  basic structures that could create dozens of patches.

chrish

Quote from: Rhcole on October 11, 2015, 06:58:13 PM
There's more than one way to build an ambient patch, probably 4 or 5  basic structures that could create dozens of patches.
I find the patch structures for your ambient patches are ready good for building other patches. So besides using your excellent patches, i've been making changes to those and the pad factory patches and replacing all the user factory patches with those. i've had to use multiples of the same ambient patches to fill the factory patches because i don't have enough ambient patches. Now i'm running the blender. Unfortunitly, the blender auto blender function mixes in the non-user 'P' factory patches so the process takes longer. In the next upgrade,  boss should allow us to define the range of patches that the auto mode blender selects from (or maybe i missed a page again). I've also noticed that the factory patches are noisey due to noisey fx. I'm sorry boss, but a good compresser is silient. At any rate, i hope to post the results of my ambient blender experiment when it's completed. I'm sure i would get a better result if i had more ambient examples to add to the mix, but  we will see. I also left in the very fine perc organ and the guitar amp that is in the forum patch exchange.

chrish

So now i have a complete ambient bank filling the user patch section. Using the auto random selector in the blender menu will  produce about 5 to 10 percent usable ambient patches, mostly because the preset factory patches oscs are randomly added and many are buzzy or heavily sequenced. However, some of the preset patches osc's or fx chains, when blended, do produce something usual to the ambient mix. The real majic happens by calling up a user ambient patch and, using the blender, manually selecting and changing one of the osc settings or fx chain from another ambient patch. Since all of the user patches in the bank are now ambient, the result is another  usabIe ambient patch about 90 percent of the time. It would have been cool if the blender functions were part of the target options list for the control switches, expresion pedal or the randon wave.