GR-1 No sound after putting it back to factory settings.

Started by Amateur, February 21, 2018, 02:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amateur

Good day master guitarists,

I recently got this guitar synthesizer (Roland GR-1) with a midi guitar from my old man which he bought second hand. He told me to delete everything from the previous owner and so I did. Turned off the power and hold all four of the EDIT buttons and turned it back on (one by one, not at the same time). Even did this with the ENTER and EXIT button. Thought it was smart because in the manual it said that it would go back to factory settings.
Right after doing that I felt like finding out how to loop and make a little jam by myself. Guess what... I turned it on and the display said 11 Rhodes like usual but no sound!!! I got the original manual in Dutch but no references made to issues like this. What I did found out is that when I go to EDIT RECORDER/PART and then press ENTER once I do get sound :-\ I can even change the type of sound when i'm using that special button on the guitar which got a different tune assigned to every fret. but only when i'm in that section of 30 REC/PLAY and then press ENTER. To let you guys (the pro's) know, no sounds in the main starting screen. Tried switching banks and patches but no luck so far. All this is new to me so i'm not messing with the settings. Not sure if I'm qualified to put it back to factory settings... :(

If anyone is familliar with this situation please speak your mind (not about my incompetence or spelling though :p)
Have a very good day and I hope you'll be playing some nice tunes after helping a brother in need ;)

AngeloEvs

Do a factory reset as follows,   Power off,  hold down the Write/Copy button while switching On.

You really need the manual (unless you are Dutch of course), a link to download is in the first post GR1 Faqs.  If sound is generated in the recorder part but not the patches it may be a hardware problem but do the factory reset as outlined above.

Which pickup does your guitar have GK2a or GK3?   

Set all GR1 rotary controls to the 12 o clock position except for volume which should be fully rotated.  Same with the pickup volume control and set the switch to Mix or Synth.

Adjust/check the pickup sensitivity by pressing the System button, display will show 10, press Paramater Next, display shows 11 Sens Adj.   Pluck each string and check the sensitivity value, for good triggering you need 5 or above.  Use the Increment button to increase sensitivity if low.

Amateur

Hi,

I did the factory reset as you told, but still no changes. All rotary controls are in the 12 o clock position as well. My guitar is a casio midi guitar so everything is built in the guitar. The sensitivity on the GR-1was 1-3 and I made it 1-7 (couldn't increase it more). And my GR-1 doesn't have a Increment button so I'm guessing it's on a GK2 or GK3. after all this still only sound when I'm in the record screen :(

Thx for the help so far. I'll be reading the manual from front to back in the meantime  :P

Elantric

QuoteMy guitar is a casio midi guitar so everything is built in the guitar.

You need a "GK 13 pin guitar' with GK 13 pin output - very different animal than a Casio MG-510/PG380 with 5 pin MIDI out

Since you are using the 5 pin DIN MIDI Input connection on the GR-1, Changing the GK String Input Sensitivity on the GR-1 will make zero impact, 

mercury1

You can access the multitimberal sound module in the Gr-1 by checking what channels you have your parts set to and set your casio accordingly ....you have three instrument parts and a drum part . I think you might be able to set the guitar-synth part to the channel your transmitting from but I don't think it works very well as that is mono ( all strings on one midi channel ). Experiment with it, things are possible thru midi but it's been so many years since I tried this I can't remember exactly how I done it. If I have time I may dig out my Gr-1 and casio guitar and try myself ( both need to be powered up occassionally to keep them working ). Remember guitar-synth channel assign takes up 6 channels so if you use channel 1 the next channel available will be channel 7....hope that helps
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

AngeloEvs

As Elantric points out,  using the midi cable alone will only trigger the multi timbral voices and why you cannot hear the patches.  To use the GR1 patches and all the on board editting to create your own, you need a GK2a pick up/ controller with the thirteen pin lead. 

mercury1

I thought I would follow up on this. I got out Casio Mg510 and Gr-1 and played around a bit. To play the Gr-1 synth patches thru midi alone ,you must first set Basic channel to 1 on both devices next you will have to set the dip switches in the backside of the casio. They are located under the removable rubber cover closest to the tremolo plate . Look for the side that says ON. I have mine set this way:
      1     2     3      4     5     6     7    8    9
    on    off   off    off   off    on   on  off  off
Of course you will have to use the chromatic setting on the casio as the normal setting is too unstable. I made a short video of it working for reference but the file was too large to upload even after compressing ( I'm not too web savy )
Gk 2 or 3 works much better but it is possible to use what you have . Also document your settings before you change them because this setup isn't compatible other sound modules.
Gr-55, Gr-33, Gr-1, Vg-88, Jamman looper, Brian More 88.13  ,/ 8.13 , Fender hm strat( gk-3 ), Hammer( int gk-2) , Behringer V-ampire Lx1200 / fcb1010

Amateur

Thx alot guys. It was indeed in the basic channel section in the GR-1 that had to correspond with the output of my midi guitar. I believe that the factory reset channel is set to the right channel for the G-1 or GK-2 but not my midi guitar.

Thx alot again, you people are awesome. don't forget to play some guitar from time to time ;)