Issue with assigning patches to categories

Started by Bethy1234, October 23, 2013, 12:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bethy1234

My problem is this, when i assign a patch to a user category, it does not append it to the category it overwrites any existing patch in the category. Therefore leaving ne with just one patch in the category at anytime. Ideally i would like to go to each of my favourite patches and assign them to one specific category. I am using the following procedure:

1 select a patch
2 select name/key button
3 select F1(name) button
4 select F6(category button)
5 rotate F6 dial and choose my selected user specified category
6 Press the Exit button

The result is the same. Each time i carry out this procedure, it simply overwrites the previous patch i have assigned to that category, leaving me with just one patch in the category.

papabuss

Bethy, use the WRITE button instead of EXIT.
A mistake/irratation in the manual on page 90 ?

And btw welcome to the forum! :)
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

jfwiddifield

I have had my VG-99 for years and have always wondered if I am using the patches correctly. For example, let's say has a guitar intro, verse, chorus, and lead with each varying in some respect. In the past, I have just assigned Patch 1 as (song name) Intro, Patch 2 as (song name) verse, and Patch 3 as (song name) lead... the problem is I am using 3-6 patches/song. Is this the best method for my application? I had considered creating a Category for each song but then realized that I have only 20 Categories. Your advice would be most helpful.

admin

I always apply all I need within one bank per song.

In practice all I need is 5 total banks - as many songs share similar settings

gumtownadmin

I try to keep it one patch per song/group of songs,
 by using the Assigns to create changes with the patch,
 you also do not get any audible dropouts you do from patch changes.

I would typically use an EXP pedal to vary the required parameter changes relative to the pedal position,

intro = heel down
verse at 33% position
chorus at 66% position
solo at toe down position. 

My preference is using an EXP pedal this way, my foot doesn't have to wander around a pedalboard,
 you might like to use CTRL foot switches to do the same.
Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.