Has anyone fitted a GK3 onto a Line6 JTV89

Started by evenfell, June 26, 2013, 10:41:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evenfell

I have seen that it fits JTV69 and 59, but does anybody know do you if the GK3 mic will fit on a JTV89?

Elantric

Many guitars have the Bridge mag humbucker pickup mounted too close to the bridge = no room for a GK-3.

This is solved by relocating the bridge  mag humbucker pickup 1/4" closer to the Neck. Often its as simple as removing the 4 Bridge PU Mounting Ring screws, sliding the bridge  mag humbucker pickup 1/4" closer to the Neck (using the existing PU Route), and redrilling the  4 Bridge PU Mounting Ring screws for the new location.   

Kevin M

Looks like the non-Floyd Rose tremolo version might work. All the pictures I've seen of the JTV89's look like there is a raised section in the middle which might make placement of the GK pickup interesting.

Elantric

The big issue to consider with the JTV-89 is the thin Petrucci style Neck profile  - much thinner than the other Tyler Variax's

If it was me, i would install Locking tuners and a modified Bigsby B5 -

And mount it up close to the stock Tyler JTV-89 Variax Piezo Bridge  - similar to the same geometry as my JTV-59 Bigsby B7 install.

This works better than a floyd IMHO  because the Strings remain at a consistent working height for the GK-3, and you can apply hard Palm Muting without throwing the optional floating Floyd Rose Trem out of tune.

ironically the stock Tyler Piezo Bridge Saddles have a lot of slop and play to them (observed when the strings are removed), but this "loose Tyler piezo bridge saddle travel helps keep the guitar in Tune when the Bigsby Trem Arm is used.

pjgray

Hello,

You've probably had this answered by now, but I had the same question and looked around for a specific yes or no and couldn't find one. I bought a new JTV 89 not a Floyd rose version. The space was tight but the JTV89 has 2 small hex screws (allen wrench provided with guitar) that allows you to adjust the bridge by tightening the screws. I pulled it back just far enough to allow space for the GK3 Pickup, I also had to use a few extra GK3 spacers to raise the GK3s pickup high enough to meet the strings, I was worried the pickup would be too high to fit under the strings but that is not the case. Only downside is the pickup coves the string adjustment bolts (however) once you setup your guitar the way you want it you shouldn't need to adjust them very often. I simply used the double back tape to hold the GK3 pickup.

Its working great and really didn't take very long to put the GK3 on maybe a half hour (and that is with me taking GK3 off my old guitar)

Good luck!

Magiamusical

This is my JTV-89F with the GK-3 installed. I used the adapter ring that I got from Ebay (seller peteroni), its necessary because of the lack of space between the Floyd and the Pickup. Also I placed foam pieces with double side tape to the controller to compensate the uneven surface of the guitar. I didn't use the the strap screw to secure the unit, its in place with the double site tape on the foam and the bracket supplied with the GK-3 and it holds pretty good.  Hope it helps,
Godin LGXT, Les Paul Studio w/GK3, JTV89F w/GK3, GR-55

Howcome

I have been making my own pickup ring from a piece of plexi, and a (lower) pickup ring.
No other holes had to be made, all fitted in the existing ones.

jamsden

MIDI Guitar 2 is an interesting option. No pickup required.

admin

Quote from: jamsden on September 19, 2019, 03:36:15 PM
MIDI Guitar 2 is an interesting option. No pickup required.

More about JamOrigin MIDI Guitar here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7530.0

But you are then exposed to latency and mistracking -  - and no ability for Alternate Tunings   -

If you seek lowest latency , freedom from mistracking  - seek  Variax, or Roland COSM VGuitar Modeling Systems (VG-8, VG-88, VG-99, GP-10)   

HasseFX

Continuing this subject - A few years ago I bought a special mounting plate kit for mounting the GK-3 mic on Floyd Rose-style equipped guitars which have a gap too narrow between the humbucker pickup holder and the bridge, just like on the JTV-89F. However I stowed it away as I had another GK-equipped guitar. Today I decided to use the kit to mount the GK-3 on my JTV-89F.

The idea/procedure is to replace the pickup holder with the special mounting plate, on which also the GK-3 mic is attached. The hex mic is almost shoehorned in, with only a millimetre space on each side towards the humbucker and the bridge. As I prefer pretty low action, the string height over the GK-3 were barely adjustable to the prescribed 1 mm height. However the action and playability remains very good.

The GK-3 box is attached by double-adhesive tape, as the supplied mounting plate is too big to fit behind the tremolo bridge.

The kit seems still to be available, here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/230382219884

The procedure is easy and straightforward and there are no harm done to the guitar as the plate utilize the existing screw holes for the pickup holder. The images below shows  the result.

GP-10, Variax JTV-89F, Variax 300 Nylon.
My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx