Drop your Jam Origin Midi guitar takes here!

Started by PD FX, December 15, 2012, 09:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PD FX

I'll start of this topic with some "giano" playing..

Hardware used:
MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo 2 GHz, 4 gigabyte Ram
I've used the gr-55 as an audio interface, because it is the fastest interface I have, and it offers the damperpedal at the same time..

Software setup:

GR55:
Direct monitoring: off!
no effects whatsoever, just 1 clean COSM strat that serves as input for Midi guitar.

Computer:
Midi patchbay:  (great software! http://notahat.com/midi_patchbay/ )
I've made a virtual midi stream with controls from GR-55 and the notes from Midi guitar. So thats how I get the sustain pedal to work.

Midi guitar settings:  (great software from jamorigin.com)
128 buffer, prediction 3, poly mode, default bright guitar, sensitivity way up to 90%
I actually used a COSM bright classic strat to feed into Midi guitar, by using the GR-55 as input device..

Kontakt 5:   (nativeinstruments.com)
96 Buffer, Steinway. Listens to virtual midistream with notes from Midi guitar and controls from GR-55

Finally, the resulting audio comes out of the gr-55, connect it with a stereo DI (with groundlift) to the normal audio line in from your computer. System record select: line in.

Then start iMovie or the camerasoft of your choice and do something cool, you deserved it after all this clicking and a shoving..")

musicman65

Awesome dude! A "must see" for any midi guitarist.

PD FX

And now for something completely different: live tapping popimpro with drumloop and synths from garageband.

Machh_2

As Darth Vader said: Impressive ... very impressive!

[]´s Machh_2

whippinpost91850

Jim Williams

Here is a very simple piece to demo the polyphonic abilities of Midi guitar. The only hardware I use is my GT-100 and the synth is generated from sampletank standalone software with loopmidi as a virtual midi connection.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

PD FX

Quote from: Jim Williams on December 26, 2012, 07:52:00 AM
Here is a very simple piece to demo the polyphonic abilities of Midi guitar. The only hardware I use is my GT-100 and the synth is generated from sampletank standalone software with loopmidi as a virtual midi connection.

Nice Jim! that goes to show you can do full chord accompaniment with GM..
If you'd delay the normal guitarsignal a tiny bit, it would sound still more perfect. I use a virtual amp on the laptop, that way it automatically gets delayed a bit, and fits even tighter. So I dont use "direct monitoring", my normal guitarsound goes through the computer signal path.
In recording sessions, you can just shift the recorded midi a few millisecs to the left ofcourse, if you prefer direct monitoring.

tekrytor

Great demos guys! I'm very inspired by them and by MIDI Guitar.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Jim Williams

The funny part from my end the strings and guitar were more tight I somehow got some latency when recording with the web cam on my laptop. I will try some more stuff so you can get a better clip.

Jim Williams

This one might be Cooler....I am useing Forte 3 hosting Omnisphere with my GT-100 as the audio.

Jim Williams

OK I might be stupid but how do I get my Youtube vieos to show in my posts all I can get is a link????

Brent Flash

Quote from: Jim Williams on December 27, 2012, 07:54:40 AM
OK I might be stupid but how do I get my Youtube vieos to show in my posts all I can get is a link????
It is showing on this end.

PD FX

Quote from: Jim Williams on December 27, 2012, 07:54:40 AM
Ok Jim, Youtube previews are somehow unpredictable, I noticed in my FB-account that they didnt showup as I posted a video recently: afterwards there were there.. strange things happening there!
But we can see you movie now: And this sounds way more tight indeed.. zery good!

PD FX

TADAAM! I found a nice "hidden" feature of Midi Guitar! ')
You can actually convert 2 guitars at once with Midi Guitar!.. so here I've added distorted keyboard to all 12 strings, no overdubs, doubleneck goes into MG and into a Garageband virtual amp.

Jim Williams

Here is a short clip of me applying 2 different synths and separating the key range of them. I am using Forte 2 to do this with its midi routing features. In the beginning I am pointing out the fact I am doing it all wirelessly. I have also used this software to trigger my hardware synth module and it worked great.

keg8605

Could you explain how you used the software to work your hardware synth?  I have a yamaha motif rack es that I'd like to try it with...

PD FX

Quote from: keg8605 on January 21, 2013, 11:10:32 AM
Could you explain how you used the software to work your hardware synth?  I have a yamaha motif rack es that I'd like to try it with...
Use the standalone Midi Guitar program, choose as "midi output:" the midi connection where youre yamaha is connected to.

Jim Williams

It is simple really, use a midi usb device and in the box in MidiGuitar's midi output pull down menu select the midi device. and just run the midi out cable to the midi input of you sound module or keyboard. This is to expand on Guitarpolson's instructions. MidiGuitar is best in stand alone with a midi output to a virtual or psychical midi port. if you use it with loopmidi (virtual midi port) you can use the loopmidi for all your programs that require a midi input. It would be the same as having a usb keyboard hooked up to your computer. I have tried it as a plugin in my DAW but it seems to be faster in stand alone to loopmidi and select loopmidi as your DAW's midi input.

keg8605

Thanks for your help guys.  I will try this later today and see if I can get it working. 

keg8605

I finally gave it a go.  I got the program up on 2 of my computers to try.  Connected the GR-55 to use as the interface, turned off direct monitoring, then used my midi 2x2 as the output to the yamaha rack.  I had pretty bad results myself. I suppose it could be my computers or something in my setup.  Might have to try it from a friends Iphone 4s or ipad. I finally had to plug my axon back in just to have some satisfaction before bed haha. I'd be willing to bet it had something to do with my pc and not the program itself....

PD FX

mbenigni

Apologies for reposting, but I saw this thread after commenting in the Fishman Triple Play discussion.  I guess I basically have to second keg8605's experience:

QuoteI checked out the beta VST, running in Ableton Live, a couple of weeks ago.  I was so excited when I read about this product, but I have to say I was really disappointed.  I guess accuracy was OK, but latency was pretty massive.  I had significantly lower latency, years ago, using low-budget VST's like WIDI and TSAudioToMIDI. 

I took all of JamOrigin's recommended steps to minimize latency... maybe there is some other problem with my PC.  Windows is always a wildcard, which is a strong argument for dedicated, external hardware to perform this conversion.  If it can be done as a Windows app/ plugin, it can almost certainly be done better with an embedded systems approach.  Still amazes me that no one has taken up the challenge to get audio to poly midi in a stompbox with a 1/4" input.

PD FX

Quote from: mbenigni on January 31, 2013, 07:06:14 AM
Apologies for reposting, but I saw this thread after commenting in the Fishman Triple Play discussion.  I guess I basically have to second keg8605's experience:
Nobody has said that Midi Guitar is faster than dedicated expensive outboard hardware.

I just like to play with it, because I can play piano with pedal on it, which my GR55 wont let me, because the GR55 has to many errors, it is that simple.
And now with pitchbend support, MG's use is further increased.
If your not mixing guitar sound and synth sound, you can adopt your playing to the timing very easy! I use special extra tricks to get a nice play feel, just read the info from the movie above: okay.. ill just copy it here!

quote start:
"
A quick improvisation with the lastest Midi Guitar version, sorry 'bout the noise, groundloop!
This is not a perfect musicpiece, I've made this to show how to get proper legato and so one: use a guitar with as little as body sound as possible, most cheep strats work brilliantly, like this one. Softsynth here is Reaktor's Steampipe 2.
You can hear the straight guitarsignal on 1 channel, showing the latency.

here's my setup:
-guitar is connected to the laptop soundinput via a random stompbox, to buffer the signal.
-in system/sound adjust the gain so your guitar doenst distort.
-mute the opens strings wit a hairstrap,
-turn the velocity gain up in MG, I use the standalone version mostly.
-adjust MG's sensitivity to the level you can avoid mistriggers
-play really softly!

" end quote

mbenigni

QuoteNobody has said that Midi Guitar is faster than dedicated expensive outboard hardware.
I already responded in the FTP thread, just to say that despite my comments, I do think JamOrigins has a product with great potential.  But I must also say that MG isn't just slower than expensive outboard h/w at this point - it's slower than cheap/free VST's I was cobbling together 5 years ago.  This has to be addressed in order for the product to find a broad market.  (But as I said, perhaps there are issues with my specific configuration.)

Moreover, I don't really believe that the sort of external h/w solution I'm talking about need be all that expensive at this point.  The algorithm(s) in question are software.  They're intellectual property, basically, and even the extent to which they deviate from common engineering knowledge boils down to optimization.  The hardware required to run them - digital I/O and a reasonably fast embedded processor - sells for beer money in today's market, thanks to the massive proliferation of smartphones and other mobile computing devices.  I may be missing something, and this is totally off the cuff, but I feel like Boss could bring a pedal format to market for well under $200.

PD FX

Quote from: mbenigni on January 31, 2013, 08:06:56 AM

I already responded in the FTP thread, just to say that despite my comments, I do think JamOrigins has a product with great potential.  But I must also say that MG isn't just slower than expensive outboard h/w at this point - it's slower than cheap/free VST's I was cobbling together 5 years ago.  This has to be addressed in order for the product to find a broad market.  (But as I said, perhaps there are issues with my specific configuration.)

Moreover, I don't really believe that the sort of external h/w solution I'm talking about need be all that expensive at this point.  The algorithm(s) in question are software.  They're intellectual property, basically, and even the extent to which they deviate from common engineering knowledge boils down to optimization.  The hardware required to run them - digital I/O and a reasonably fast embedded processor - sells for beer money in today's market, thanks to the massive proliferation of smartphones and other mobile computing devices.  I may be missing something, and this is totally off the cuff, but I feel like Boss could bring a pedal format to market for well under $200.
Everything clear, mbenigni!
MG will be optimized after the setup of the functionality. Which seems logical to me.
Buffersizes in MG internally are now not so small as in the old VST doing mono pitch detection, and that is probably the reason that they were fast in comparison, they had allready the minimum size for buffering.
yes, I also suspect its algorhytm can run on a small dsp machine, having a realtime os with minimal buffersizes. It would save energy enormously for sure.. then reducing the buffersizes in MG on a PC will undoubtedly increase CPU usage considerably.