Nice SY-1000 performance on youtube

Started by dfalck, May 28, 2023, 12:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dfalck

I really enjoy these examples of SY-1000 performance.

VG/synth gear:
Fishman Tripleplay Connect, GK-2,GK-3,GK-5,GP-10, GT1000 Core, SY-1000, GM-800, Morningstar MC8, iPad with AUM and AUV3 plugins.

Harry1227

I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for the promotion  :)
For the first video there are files at this link -
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=34080.msg252110#msg252110

dfalck

Awesome Harry! Thanks for the link to thread about the patch for the first song. I just got a SY-1000 and am exploring it. I have a GP-10 already. the additional voices and guitar modelling attracted me to the SY-1000.
How are you creating the drums in the second video? Noise waveforms sequenced at different pitches, correct?
VG/synth gear:
Fishman Tripleplay Connect, GK-2,GK-3,GK-5,GP-10, GT1000 Core, SY-1000, GM-800, Morningstar MC8, iPad with AUM and AUV3 plugins.

Harry1227

Yes. I used the noise waveform.
If you want to make electronic drums, use the following instructions:
1. Use D-type compressor
This compressor will give a sharp attack to the sound of drums.
2. Behind the compressor, you can put an equalizer to boost the low and high frequencies to taste and attenuate the frequency range around 500 Hz.
3. Set up a filter in the dynamic synthesizer. I recommend using HPF or BPF.
If you use BPF, you will get a more powerful electronic drum sound, but you will have to boost the high frequencies a lot with the EQ.
 Adjust the Sharpness of the waveform noise and filter resonance to give the body to the drum sound. Don't turn up the resonance too much, as this will make the hat sound too harsh. This can be attenuated with an EQ bandpass filter, but you will lose the upper frequencies of the snare.
4. In the sequencer, you need to adjust the pitch, cutoff frequency and amp.
I recommend at the setup stage to make the sequence length no more than 4 steps.
In this way, you can adjust the pitch, cutoff frequency and amps individually for BassDrum, Snare and Hat.
And then you can increasing the length of the sequence to 16 steps to build a linear drum groove.

By experimenting, I came to the conclusion that at the stage of setting up the dynamic synthesizer sequencer, it is better to make the sound rather muffled.
 Such a sound passing through the compressor has a good dense low end and not strongly compressed high frequencies dynamically. During the equalization stage, high frequencies can be boosted to the desired level.

In the sequencer, you can use two steps for each drum beat. In this way, the decay tails of the bass drums and snares can be ideally adjusted.
In general terms, to get a kick (KICK Drum  ;) ), set up a sharp fall of the pitch from 5 to -24 (+-), a cutoff from 50 to 15 (+-) and a smooth fall of the volume from 100 to 30 (use the second sequence)
For a hat, a sharp rise in pitch from 10 to 17 (-+), a cutoff from 90 to 98 (-+) and a linear fall in volume from 10 to 0.
For snare, use something in between guided by creative intuition. For BassDrum and Hat, the above numbers are approximate.
5. You can put a limiter on the master to tighten the sound.

Adjusting all of the above parameters, look for a compromise. You may need to change the EQ settings several times to get back to editing the sequencer again. It's a creative process, good luck  ;)

stub

Thanks for breaking all that down. That's quite a nice lesson in SY-1000 Sorcery.