Using a spare for Editor and Librarian on Apple Silicon

Started by pasha811, January 15, 2023, 03:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasha811

I have recently moved to Apple Silicon in full.
I have lost VG99 Editor and Librarian. Thanks to Gumtown's excellent VG99Floorboard editor plus a Roland UM-ONE MK2 I was able to edit patches again.
However my setup needs to be changed if I want to use VG99Floorboard or DAW so I was asking myself how could I do it (I have a cascaded MIDI setup that does not work very good with Sysex).

I had a 2012 old Macbook Pro running Mojave that solved me the problem.

I enabled screen sharing on the Macbook Pro and so from the M1 Mac I can access the Macbook which can be connected to VG99 via USB while VG99 is also connected via MIDI to the rest of my setup. Not ideal as response times via Screen Sharing leave something to be desired but a good compromise and free! (Screensharing app comes free on Monterey and share Screen is native in Mac OS)

More on my testing in the future : Virtual Box 7.x is beta and works on Apple Silicon (still a long road to go), UTM which provides very good speed and capability but needs testing and for now can be difficult to move the VM to an external drive.

In any case VG99Floorboard Editor plus UM ONE MK2 is the way to go. Simply exploring what's best for my setup. Maybe by adding a proper MIDI USB Interface I can have the best of both worlds but that will be seen, for now I have added another option and wanted to share success. In the future I can hook the GP10 to the MacBook Pro as well.

In any case DO NOT throw away old computers... they might be useful and it's also good for the environment  :)
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Tosh

In my "rig(s)" I have a 2008 Macbook dual booting OS 10.6 and Windows XP. Supports my old synths such as Roland D-110 and my most favored audio editor Sound Forge.

A 2012 Macbook Pro w/native FW800 and a DVD burner. Boots OS 10.11 + Virtualbox with Windows 7 and some Linux stuff.

2009 Mini Server, 2017 Air booting 10.13 and another booting 12.6. All of mine are Intel chips. All of them have a purpose and all are fully functional, except for the 2008 Macbook (FW port is dead, batteries are a thing of the past).

My wife got a new Mini with the M1 for Christmas so she can do photo editing.

I'm stickin' with what works for me.