Expression ped / ctl pedal switch ?

Started by Brak(E)man, December 28, 2022, 03:20:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brak(E)man

Might be a stupid question but, would it be possible to have an A/B switch to use both a expression pedal and a double ctl in one input.
Or is the impedance etc an issue?

I'm asking because I have one expression pedal exclusively for volume in one ctl input and at times I'd like to use another expression pedal for fi delay time , wha-wha , filter etc etc in the other but I can't be without the 2 extra ctls.
(And I don't want to carry around like an FCB midi pedal that would solve this but add bulk when traveling etc.)

As a side note, I tried using the ctls as a TC electronic mash type "virtual" expression pedal but ran into problems.
If anyone has a clue to why the "clicks" occurs please help, that would solve some things.
See
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?msg=256339
And https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?msg=256223
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

stub

One thought would be to use a real volume pedal and put it in your fx-loop send/return path (so you could place it at different points in the signal path)-- I get why this might not be a workable solution, just putting it out there.

Another thought is to check out the Hotone Ampero Control (instead of your two-button unit). It's slim/small unit that gives you 4 buttons and two expressions via MIDI. It's $100 USD. It requires a standard 9v tip-neg power source (included). And the big downside with it, is that it doesn't LED's to indicate button states-- so you have to choose which controls you'd use on it where you don't need button-state visual feedback.

EDIT: Started to suggest an A/B switch option, but as the SY-1000 likely scans these jacks at start-up, this solution won't work.

Kevin M

This may not be exactly what you're looking for, but check this out:

https://www.morningstar.io/mc3

These boxes are really quite flexible and can accommodate an expression pedal.

Brak(E)man

I have a fcb 1010 but I like the idea of trying an A/B switch if it's possible.
(I haven't found one on the net that have TRS though.)
It would help with other units without 5 pin midi like GP-10 , GT-10 etc.
And I would not have to reprogram the patches on the units except the ones with the need for an extra expression pedal.
I have not seen the issue raised here on the forum either and I'm not tech savvy enough to figure out if it would work, it's been a very long time since my technical engineer education.

I can't figure out the issue with the "clicks" with the mash up ctl virtual expression either, I'm guessing it's a current spike build up since it's not every time it's coming on but...
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

gumtown

My faded recollection is that the likes of the SY-1000 test the Exp/ctl input at power on, to check the type of pedal connected, whether an Exp or footswitch, so an A/B switch might not work.

My latest purchase is the Boss EV-1-WL, a midi exp pedal which can output different midi cc# based on the output group (midi/usb/bluetooth), I am using midi out only so far, but the useful thing is the Exp also has a built in toe switch which can allow a different midi cc# to be used in the "Exp on" position, so when the toe switch is engaged, the exp does a different function.
The EV-1-wl can take a ctrl 1 & 2 dual footswitch input too, adding more midi cc# control.
Try the Boss EV-1-wl phone app to see  the midi functions it can send.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

thebrushwithin

stub

Quote from: gumtown on December 28, 2022, 10:51:00 AMMy faded recollection is that the likes of the SY-1000 test the Exp/ctl input at power on, to check the type of pedal connected, whether an Exp or footswitch, so an A/B switch might not work.

Ah, I wondered if that might be the case. I'll revise my suggestion, to prevent someone from going down the wrong road.

BTW, I have a MIDI EXPRESSION box. It's a nice design, and very configurable via app. However, it would be worthwhile to compare the feature set to the Ampero Control.

The MIDI EXPRESSION has a 3D printed plastic housing, so not rugged. No built-in switches. Super configurable & clever, but the list of events it can transmit is limited. Neither box has any visual feedback-- i.e., LEDs, (to speak of).