Fender GC-1 worn out

Started by FreeTime, December 27, 2022, 02:55:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreeTime

I have a Fender GC-1 that has a worn out Roswood on Maple neck (Nut and frets, the rest is in good shape). I also have a almost brand new 2010 American made Strat with a Maple neck.

I am thinking of swapping necks and while I'm at it swap the bridge as well. Right now the MIA is so nice to play while the MIM sounds a bit like a banjo, it seems to be coming from the neck.

What do you guys think ?

I'd like to add that I must have hit the jackpot because when pro musicians play the MIA they say if I ever want to sell it to call them first, twice now.

My bias is that the American strat is just there not being played so why not use it.

lespauled

It'll work fine.   What's worn out?

FreeTime

The frets are beyond dressing and there is a bit of paper in the nut to keep it from buzzing.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. 

whippinpost91850

Just needs a regret and shim or replace the nut. Be good as new

Mathurin Picard

Get a refret and a new nut. It will be good as new. I had a refret on mine and had the fretboard compound radiused. So much nicer!!!

gumtown

Must be one helluva lefthand grip on those strings.  :P
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

FreeTime

Gumtown, thats after almost 10 years of daily playing, lots of vibrato. I dont like gripping so hard that things go out of tune but I do like the strings to ring true.

pasha811

Your frets have worn out fast. I am in almost the same position with my 1989 Strat Plus but so far no buzzing so I have still some time.They asked me 400 Euros for a complete refret (brand new frets, fretboard treatment and installation + setup) which is very close to a new neck (560 + US Import fee..) , difficult to choose but I think in your case swapping neck might be the thing. Now it's very rare to find Rosewood Fretboard Necks as Pau Ferro is used instead for environmental reasons and those pau ferro necks are available original from Fender.
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

gumbo

Quote from: pasha811 on December 28, 2022, 03:30:31 AMPau Ferro is used instead for environmental reasons and those pau ferro necks are available original from Fender.

I put one of those (a 21 fret model) on one of my R-R Strats a while back...that particular guitar started life as a body-only part out by Stratosphere many years ago that a friend brought into Australia, and then sold to me when he ran out of time to complete.

...nice neck that works extremely well!
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

aliensporebomb

You also could purchase an aftermarket Fender neck with a radius you prefer, better larger frets and/or a nicer fingerboard material.  You can have it refretted but the neck on my Roland Ready strat ended up having a warp in it that never was able to be dialed out so I got a Fender roasted maple neck with the pau ferro board and nicer frets and that's what I've been playing for a great deal of the time now. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Mathurin Picard

Quote from: pasha811 on December 28, 2022, 03:30:31 AMYour frets have worn out fast. I am in almost the same position with my 1989 Strat Plus but so far no buzzing so I have still some time.They asked me 400 Euros for a complete refret (brand new frets, fretboard treatment and installation + setup) which is very close to a new neck (560 + US Import fee..) , difficult to choose but I think in your case swapping neck might be the thing. Now it's very rare to find Rosewood Fretboard Necks as Pau Ferro is used instead for environmental reasons and those pau ferro necks are available original from Fender.

Just because you have a new neck does not always mean that you are going to have great fretwork. To get a guitar to truly play great, even with a new neck, you may need a fretjob and set-up. Have your guitar looked at by a reputable luthier and they will tell you if the neck has any issues. If the neck is ok, go for the refret and set-up. Your guitar will play great and the fretboard is normally slightly sanded to get the radius perfect.

whippinpost91850

There's nothing wrong with the existing neck and you know it quite well.. as I said I would refret  it
If you buy a new neck you'll still have to pay for a setup