Tone effected by FX expansion / speaker link

Started by Schwoddel, October 16, 2022, 03:22:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schwoddel

Today I was fine tuning my clean tone, and came across some weird settings that effected my tone totally unexpected.

My usually set-up at home is 2 Yamaha HS-8 monitors connected to the Main outs. I'm only using one amp model plus some delay and reverb, so no stereo effects. For whatever reason I changed the speaker stereo link from on to off and the tone gets brighter.

Maybe I was bored because of the rainy weather, and I started playing with the Sub outs, and here it got interesting.

When I switch FX expansion on, the right Sub out gets brighter, when I switch the speaker link on. The left Sub out seems not to change.

When I switch FX expansion off, Sub right distorts with speaker link off, Sub left seems slightly brighter/hotter with speaker link on.

I'm aware of different behavior of the Main outs, when only connecting one cable, but sifar I thought the SUBs are identical.

All my FX blocks are off, so I wouldn't expect any impact by switching the FX expansion on and off.

I would be curious, if others find the same effect, or if my ears are fooling me, or if my unit has an issue. However, the distortion of the right Sub out was definitely there (the output setting was at +4db, but changing it to -10db still has some distortion).

That's in particular relevant as I'm using the right SUB out for the FOH signal, while I use the Main's for monitoring.

Matthias K.

Can't check right now but when you switch cab stereo link off, the (idiotic) default position of the left and right cabs is one behind the other, both outputting to the left side, while the right side outputs no cab at all. This oddity applies to both the main and the sub outs.

(Don't know how to upload a screenshot here to show you but you can check for yourself.)

So the output of the left cab is fed into the right cab where it gets AIRD-filtered one more time, altering the tone. I suspect you have to move your right cab to where it belongs – your right output.

Greets from Hamburg