Where Does the Tone Come From in a Guitar Amp?

Started by szilard, October 04, 2022, 10:54:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

szilard

thebrushwithin

Always enjoy his videos, but back in the late 60's, I was told, by some amp nerd folks, it is the transformer that makes a large difference, and he left that out.

SY.Borg.300

The tone from a guitar amp comes from the Tone Module. I thought every body knew that. If you are rich or famous some amp companies will give you a secret customized tone module. Jimi Hendrix got one. Jimmy Page also got his own secret TM. That's why nobody can ever sound exactly like them. It in the fingers? Yeah right, it's in the tone module.

gumtown

Tone comes from sentiant thought and imagination, without that the hardware just wouldn't do anything.
The resulting tone is the sum of all factors involved.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

eUphonic

Nice vid but my experience doesn't agree with all his findings.

An example among others: someone switching from cathode bias to fixed bias on a Mesa TA15 should notice a difference. Not huge but way more noticeable than in the mentioned vid once the amp is pushed beyond bedroom levels...

There's more to say but time is lacking now. I wish you all a nice day.

gumbo

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Jim Williams

Many amps can have very similar tone but the biggest part of what brings the tone is the speaker cab. You will have different tones form one amp design to another be American or British. some amps will have the tone stack before the gain stage and others will have it after. The speaker and cab will make your amp sound when you play, and amp with no speaker direct will just sound terrible. without a good cab your amp will be noisy and brittle.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.