Hi what guitar to midi options are there thanks :)

Started by threaders, December 01, 2021, 11:21:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threaders

Hi  :)
well ive tried tons of pedals and guitar synths but with no success. I have come to the conclusion that midi pickups just dont work with my archtop guitar. Maybe its the vibration of the top but as well as false triggers the tracking hasn't been great. Ive tried the gk3 and then just tried the fishman triple play connect. I felt the triple play was very fragile, it didn't work great with the pc and I had a lot of trouble with the plugins and I could only get the synthmaster working which did sound great but the lowest latency I could get was 3.4 miliseconds. Maybe its better with the ipad app. The other main issue though was the pickup stuck out about an inch on the bass side of the saddle which is right where my wrist sits so it was very difficult to play in my normal style. perhaps if i used a floating wrist technique it wouldnt be so bad.
Anyway ive sold the pickup and now just have my guitar and a korg minilogue xd. I just wondered what my options are. Ive only seen the sonuus g2m and i2m and no one is stocking the g2m in the uk for three weeks. I have heard the empress zoia can do it but its a bit pricey at £400 if I buy the i2m what leads would i need and would i need a usb host. Just wondering what else is out there that can enable me to play the minilogue. I really appreciate all the help and many thanks, cheers  :)

chrish

I never had good luck with Pitch to midi in the GR50, VG99 and SY1000. Using GK2, GK3 or Godin nylon RCM piezo hex .

Then as a last resort, I purchased a used Wilcox Atlantis HexFx Acoustic electrical guitar with a hex Optical pick up from a member here.

Now using the GR50, nearly Flawless pitch to external MIDI synths. With the caveat that Not all external MIDI synths work the same. Some exhibit more latency than others.

The Moog mother 32 is the fastest, Korg triton, korg wavestation, emu esi32 and Behringer Model D all work well.

Behringer Neutron, moog Voyager RME and Moog slim phatty don't work quite as well.

gumtown

With an arch-top guitar, you are probably starting on a back foot there,
and to try get better than 3.4 milliseconds latency is going to be impossible,
that latency is about the same as a digital amp/effect unit just processing 24bit audio.

I don't know what else there is,
the SONUUS G2M is only monophonic,
or maybe try Jam Origin guitarMidi2 software.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

paganskins

There's a sonuus g2m on basschat for sale https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/456982-sonuus-g2m/

Jam Origin you can try a demo version without having to pay anything.

threaders

Hi thanks for the replies its much appreciated and thanks for the link paganskins. I managed to buy it so ill let you know how I get on. The korg minilogue sounds amazing so I do hope I can hook it up with my guitar. I tried jam origin but couldnt get it working. Maybe its better on the ipad. I think im more of a hardware person.
cheers for everything and hopefully ill have some positive comments to make soon :)