Fishman TriplePlay - New Wireless MIDI Guitar on the horizon.

Started by Spider, March 16, 2011, 09:31:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spider

I heard that few months ago but then it was only "project"...

But now:
http://twitter.com/harmonycentral/status/11160449364[/email]][email]http://twitter.com/harmonycentral/status/11160449364[/email]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/harmonycentral/4466483831/#galleries/]http://www.flickr.com/photos/harmonycentral/4466483831/#galleries/

it's more real...
As I wrote on the other forum, it's made by by Andras Szalay (inventor of Axon) and it is all new technology, inside is guitar controller sit ALL midi conversion. As inventor said  inside this little unit is 1000 times more the processing power than Axon"

So... this year begins very very interesting.

dhaiphi

This system is not compatible with the Roland 13 pins din, only with PC. :(

Elantric

Still,  it looks very interesting!
Appears to employ the Axon AIX-101 (Yamaha G1D) hex MAg PU.

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2011/01/bence-becsy-playing-wireless-midi.html

Observe the pic states it was taken on "March 27, 2010" - and there is zero news about this on the Fishman web site, for a product which is now over a year old. I suspect Fishman will swap out the Mag hex PU and interface six piezo saddles of their own design - so its possible this system is still stuck in the the Fishman R&D lab.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/harmonycentral/4466483831/#/

ddlooping

Pretty amazing. :)
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

nelcatjar

Why is Roland or someone else not jumping on the band wagon with 13 pin compatable units?  I mean really!
Q: What's the difference between a musician and a large pizza?
A:  A large pizza can feed a family of 4.

Brian Moore i88.13, Godin xtSA, GR-55, Boss ME-70.

RicardoLove

Answers from the Youtube post: did u build this system yourself? what kind of? wireless system is it?

Equestional 1 month ago
@Equestional : Yes, this is my new design, following the Shadow GTM-6 and SH-075? (25 years ago) and the AXON (16 years ago). Still a prototype, but coming soon.
email: ricardolovemedia@gmail.com
demo web site: http://www.reverbnation.com/rlove
GR-55 demos http://www.soundcloud.com/ricardolove
For hire Music Producer/Remixer

Spider

yes... Adreas Szalay was involved in Blue Chip NGC-60, NGC-66, NGC-77 and Axon AX-100...

GR55 is different but any way I would like to have Aero too :)

Elantric

Some recent correspondence with Andras Szalay, inventor of this new Wireless MIDI controller:
(from the Yahoo MIDIGuitar mail list)

<Andras Szalay wrote>
The new device has nothing to do with the Axon, neither hardware nor
software.

Andras Szalay

>One post I read brings up a good point, maybe I've missed it but will the
>wireless unit support a analog signal from the host guitar?

Problems with ground loop and digital noise are out of question, since the
guitar signal is totally isolated from the system. You couple the guitar
through the stompbox on the floor, which is the radio receiever as well. In
the stomp box a radio controlled relais turns the guitar on or off. The
relais guarantees that there is no noise and distortion introduced by
electronic switching, while it also isolates the guitar signal from the rest
of the system.

Andras Szalay

Sorry, it is not yet possible to answer questions about shipping and
pricing. Indeed, a first prototype was demonstrated a year ago, but believe
me that a hell lot of work has been done since then... and there is still
much to do.

Andras Szalay

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/midiguitar/

aliensporebomb

Wow, really demonically fast tracking on that third video.  I could use a system like that.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

vanceg

Quote from: aliensporebomb on March 17, 2011, 08:41:10 AM
Wow, really demonically fast tracking on that third video.  I could use a system like that.

Note that we are hearing the dry guitar signal on the left channel, which can make the tracking appear to be better/faster than it actually is. That said, It does seem to track significantly faster than I can play!

Spider

Andreas Szalay wrote on Yahoo MIDIGuitar mail list:

"As I redesigned the radio recently for higher range, no exact data is
available about the range yet, but it works stable in a house with concrete
walls, TX and RX two stores apart. So more than enough for any stage.
Battery life is about 20 hours. There is a mini USB socket on the guitar
unit, only for recharging the Li-Ion battery. On the receiver stomp box MIDI
OUT, MIDI IN and USB connections are available. USB is class compliant, no
drivers needed."

Elantric

QuoteUSB is class compliant, no drivers needed."

Cool - this means it can work with iPad too!

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3452.msg22994#msg22994

polaris20

I'm really looking forward to this, but as with so many other MIDI guitar products the last year or so, I'm not exactly holding my breath. It seems like stuff either never comes to market, or it takes forever to.

res075oh@gte.net

If you listen to the right channel only it's still impressive as hell to me!

James

Quote from: vanceg on March 18, 2011, 12:05:15 AM
Note that we are hearing the dry guitar signal on the left channel, which can make the tracking appear to be better/faster than it actually is. That said, It does seem to track significantly faster than I can play!

Will Robinson

Quote from: res075oh@gte.net on March 18, 2011, 05:23:34 PM
If you listen to the right channel only it's still impressive as hell to me!

James
Same here, very impressive. I'm in the minute it hits the market! Simple midi output from any of my guitars without the Roland 13 pin nightmare....and WIRELESS no less! Major improvement for my use for sure.

webe123

Quote from: Will Robinson on March 20, 2011, 08:52:44 AM
Same here, very impressive. I'm in the minute it hits the market! Simple midi output from any of my guitars without the Roland 13 pin nightmare....and WIRELESS no less! Major improvement for my use for sure.

Well to YOU it may be a "NIGHTMARE" but not for me! I got my axon set up so that it can track equally as fast. If you really want a nightmare,  try going into some synths and setting up MIDI channels to match this wireless  unit! That is a "nightmare" to me. 13 pin is usually plug and play. Maybe he has figured out a way to make it less painless to use with synths, but I doubt it.

If he came out with one for 13 pin technology I would be all over it though, as I could use it with the new Roland GR 55 I am going to purchase. Wireless is nice, but not necessary in my situation.

And why the HELL do you have to VERIFY your stupid posts every time you want to post on this forum? It really gets annoying.  I am a member of a lot of boards, this is the first board I have been on that I have to verify every single post with those stupid letters!

ddlooping

Quote from: webe123 on March 22, 2011, 01:40:28 AM
And why the HELL do you have to VERIFY your stupid posts every time you want to post on this forum? It really gets annoying.  I am a member of a lot of boards, this is the first board I have been on that I have to verify every single post with those stupid letters!

It stops after you've reached a certain amount of posts.
I don't know how may though.
Diaz Guitars (work in progress)

Will Robinson

Quote from: webe123 on March 22, 2011, 01:40:28 AM
Well to YOU it may be a "NIGHTMARE" but not for me! I got my axon set up so that it can track equally as fast. If you really want a nightmare,  try going into some synths and setting up MIDI channels to match this wireless  unit! That is a "nightmare" to me. 13 pin is usually plug and play. Maybe he has figured out a way to make it less painless to use with synths, but I doubt it.

If he came out with one for 13 pin technology I would be all over it though, as I could use it with the new Roland GR 55 I am going to purchase. Wireless is nice, but not necessary in my situation.
what is the difference between the Roland device receiving the midi note data and sending it, via midi, to a soft synth and the wireless receiver from this device receiving midi note data and sending it, via midi, to a soft synth? I don't see how there is a difference. Regardless of how the hardware received the note data, via 13 pins or wireless, it is still a piece of hardware sending it to the soft synth ...

The big advantage from my perspective is no fragile noisy 13 pin plug at both ends of that transfer of data from guitar to hardware device!

I'd rather have this wireless midi pickup on a Line6 James Tyler Variax than any GK guitar + a GR or VG device. But if it is vapor ware then I'm stuck with the 13 pin solution.

Elantric

jassy

Its the first photo with the Fishman name in the unit.
So its finally produced by Fishman?
Maybe that will mean that it would hit the market very soon.

pd: by the demos it seems that its incredible fast and accurate and can mean a big step forward in the guitar midi world. Sadly it would not work with our GR55. Where I can read more details about this technology?

Edit: I already have found the yahoo group source of this information. Also that the Fishman name was mentioned previously...

webe123

Quote from: Will Robinson on April 12, 2011, 10:08:08 AM
what is the difference between the Roland device receiving the midi note data and sending it, via midi, to a soft synth and the wireless receiver from this device receiving midi note data and sending it, via midi, to a soft synth? I don't see how there is a difference. Regardless of how the hardware received the note data, via 13 pins or wireless, it is still a piece of hardware sending it to the soft synth ...

The big advantage from my perspective is no fragile noisy 13 pin plug at both ends of that transfer of data from guitar to hardware device!

I'd rather have this wireless midi pickup on a Line6 James Tyler Variax than any GK guitar + a GR or VG device. But if it is vapor ware then I'm stuck with the 13 pin solution.

My problem with it is SETUP! If it is just plug and play then that is one thing...if it has "channels" like traditional wireless devices I do not want to have to go into my Motif and select which MIDI channel I have to use. Understand?

FreeTime

I want one ! The 13 pin cables are horrible, expensive and hard to get. I looked in 3 major music stores in Edmonton, Canada , a city of 750,000, a few months ago, and none had the cable in stock, if it had been an emergency I'd have been hooped. I go through a cable every few months even though I'm careful.

MrSparkle

This looks excellent.

1) Soft synths sound amazing now, so direct midi connectivity with laptop is perfect for the new decade.

2) IMO wireless technology is next evolution needed in the music industry.. So I welcome anything starting to move in that direction. I know expensive wireless systems have been around forever, but i'm talking of a cultural shift.. Kind of how this last generation of video games all officially left cable controllers in the dust. I hope rechargeable wireless (digital) audio becomes standard in the future. Of course the quality and latency and $$$ is gonna be an epic battle, but guitar/USB/midi system is a fun start (assuming this Fishman System makes some noise).

jburns

why are they using synths from 1970 on a pc that only has floppy disc? lol ew. millions of awesome pc/mac synths that might sound great with this. more powerful the synth- more latency from resources. yeah, of course its going to track great on a simple generator. let me hear it on motu's mach5 or something from Native Instruments, better yet let me hear this on spectrosonic's omnisphere. you know things from this century. happy to see someone might have woke up and stepped up to usb2.0, and its about goddam time. MR.Szalay is doing a great job if he's bringing midi up to 2.0 finally. even tho usb is almost obsolete these days... gr55 still has usb1.0 jesus.
amazing toy, gonna love seeing where this goes. id get this in a second if i seen it can handle programs that didnt come from cavemen!

"this is the future of the guitar." "technology from 20 years ago."
firewire800 [carries midi!] and is the fastest data transfer out there for pc/mac (without lets say an optical audio interface), so why not use this method instead? these are the companies that make firewire interfaces to begin with.. so what the hell? i look at what an ipad does using midi and using vst/dxi's and its so far past guitar midi its not even funny. not just in latency either. yet both are usb and designed the same way, so whats the problem? as far as tracking speed, most systems play great. i dont miss notes and i play 32nds 90percent of the time for practice. problem is in the design. if an ipad, a controller for guitar hero, a bunch of $100 midi keyboard controllers, high end synth keyboards, millions of computer toys, all can use midi without problems - than a guitar can too. put the outboard and chipset of a high res camera on a gk3 and presto. the technology is there and works for countless other devices. these companies are lazy. or dumb. but itll soon happen. and when it happens its going to be like going from an 8 track in a mobile home to a surround sound concert at the playboy mansion.

it looks to me like 2.0 (since it wireless i figure this) and if it is id imagine fishman out-performing by a longshot in terms of accuracy and definition for DAW. and this is a great thing for pc users having computers that cant handle audio like macs can. id still have to have two hex controllers the fishman + the gk3 on my guitar haha. as a soft synth user this looks cool for me. or for anyone that might not want to spend 3grand on a mac too.

jburns

webe123,
13pin does not mean plug and play midi channel support. vg99 and gr55 have an extensive midi setup over two modes. you still need to setup up midi channels, no matter what device your running. being a 13pin device has nothing to do with how your 16 channels on a synth are set. and keep in mind each user will want to use in different ways as well. mb a full piano across the whole neck or mb a different instrument on each string. every program is different and needs to be set accordingly in your host regardless if your using 13pin or not.