I am buying a Katana mk1 100 212 with the GA-FC Foot controller!

Started by Chumly, March 16, 2022, 05:49:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chumly

I am buying a Katana 100 212 mk1 with the GA-FC Foot controller for $300 US.  I'm Canadian and thus the conversion to greenbacks is fer y'all.  It's used of course, and I am plenty excited, because although I have a few 212 combos, they are tube beasts, thus they either weigh as much as a washing machine and/or are in need of repair (the nature of the beast given Father Time).

Thanks to everyone here and especially Gumtown as I'll likely use his wonderful Katana FX Floorboard Editor!
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Chumly

In direct comparison to my Fender GT100 112, the Katana 100 212 Ver 1 has a more open, less boxy, less nasal timbre.  This is most noticeable when comparing Fender-style cleans, and could simply be due to the fact that the Katana enclosure is much bigger.  The Fender is much smaller and much lighter and has Bluetooth control and it's still being supported with updates (I think), but I don't mind saying that there seems to be a more balanced and pleasing underlying sonic fingerprint with the Katana 100 212 Ver 1 as compared to the Fender GT100.

This seems to make it easier to get the tones I like with the Katana 100 212 Ver 1. I've got lots of other amps I could make in direct comparison, but these two do attempt to cover similar ground, are both cheap, both discontinued but still popular, etc.

It's perhaps not the fairest comparison because one is a 112 and one as a 212, plus I am only basing it on amp-in-the-room listening, and not all the other factors that would come into play, but what the hell, nothing's perfect.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman