Eleanor Rigby String Arrangement! String Octet

Started by Nobulusprime, January 23, 2022, 07:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobulusprime

I had some fun doing this. I recreated George Martin's Eleanor Rigby string arrangement using the SY1000.

I followed the original arrangement and then double tracked every part turning the quartet in to an octet as per the original! Each part was played individually so eight SY1000 parts were played and recorded in the multitrack.

It's pretty good, I'm particularly pleased with the last verse where the cello plays the main melody.

I used Harry's strings (thanks Harry!!) and re EQ'd them, changed the attack on some and made a contrabass-cello too.

Vibrato is all in the fingers (no LFOs!) and you can tell it's a guitar - guitar finger vibrato always moves between being on pitch and going sharp.
I tried to get the vibrato as close to the original as possible. Some of vibrato is quite wide and fast on the original arrangement.

You can hear that Paul M wanted Bernhard Herman's Psycho style strings and George Martin captured that well. I'll post the patches later in the week when I'm hooked up to the editor.

Enjoy!

roachone

Will Robinson

You did a great job! It gives me inspiration to improve my technique to hear what you can do with the SY1000.
I have much to learn and lots of practice ahead of me to get the SY1000 to deliver like that!
I'm looking forward to the patches.

BROCKSTAR

mchad

Wow!

This is inspiring stuff.

Thank you Nobulusprime.

billbax

I logged in to put a 'like' on this.  Super job!

admin

Allomerus

aliensporebomb

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

pasha811

Great stuff. Incredible what SY1000 good programming and good playing can do!
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

Nobulusprime

Realised I missed out a bass part in the bridge - now included with an improved mix and EQ'd in Logic!

mchad

Try and stop yourself singing when you play the clip! haha...

Nobulusprime you need get your daughter on the mic!

Nobulusprime

Quote from: mchad on January 25, 2022, 02:49:44 PM
Try and stop yourself singing when you play the clip! haha...

Nobulusprime you need get your daughter on the mic!
I did think about asking her! I might just do that.

mchad

Quote from: Nobulusprime on January 25, 2022, 02:54:29 PM
I did think about asking her! I might just do that.

Please. I'm hearing those harmonies already.

mooncaine

Bravo, belissimo, ausgezeichnet, maravilloso! I.e., moonie likes.

I've taken my VG-99 on stage to do (some of) these cello parts, live, and it was tough choosing what to do and what to leave out. Sometimes I probably made the wrong choice. I made sure to keep the low, climbing 8th note riff but the ways I dealt with it still haven't satisfied me. It's great to hear your fullly-fleshed out arrangement! You have brought it to life.

Yadrichik Chaya