Guitar / bass setup with the GT-1000 Core. My custom built solution.

Started by kineticfx, December 05, 2021, 07:27:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kineticfx

Hi there!

I've been dabbling with live looping with the Boss GT-1000Core (previously I had the GT-1000 on loan, and decided to get the core after)

I was looking for a way to seamlessly switch instruments, without having to re-patch or do a lot of tap dancing.  I looked at MIDI options and there are definitely some MIDI AB boxes out there from boutique builders.  I turned my eye to the AMP CTL jacks and did some tests, and realized that I can essentially use the AMP CTL as a true/false flag.

So I went about building a solution.  Now I've built an AB box that is remotely controlled by the GT-1000 via TRS amp control.  Simply change patch to a bass patch, and the device switches to the correct input on the AB switch.

It's quite nifty.  However it's a niche need.  I'm wondering if anyone else might be interested in it?  I'm considering putting a few together to sell on Reverb to gauge interest.

admin

For that application, I use one of these below
1993 - 1999 NOBELS™ (Germany) A/B - V Relay controlled remote A/B select Switch - occasionally  show up for sale used on Reverb, Ebay
- but long discontinued and impossible to find in USA

https://reverb.com/item/2466800-nobels-a-b-v-active-a-b-selector-with-adjustable-volume

But I say pursue your DIY build  - a few folks may need it

kineticfx

Awesome!

I wish Boss would include this as an option on the core and make an option for input select.  Standard mode and AB mode.  If in AB mode you can select the input in the patch.

Anyway seems like a cool little tool that's not currently in production.  The Nobels stuff is cool.  I had a few ALEX-1's which I used to switch remote fx loops.

PAH

Wow, that looks awesome for a DIY.

I don't use the FX loops, so I use the returns as alternate inputs:

Input: Guitar Mag pickups
Return 1: Guitar Piezo pickup
Return 2: Bass

gumtown

Quote from: PAH on December 05, 2021, 09:25:07 PM

Yes this.

With the GT-1000, Boss have finally made the Loop returns high impedance (Hi-Z).
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

kineticfx

Quote from: PAH on December 05, 2021, 09:25:07 PM

Awesome!  I'm interested to know what you lose with this approach?  Setting gain, etc?

PAH

Quote from: kineticfx on December 06, 2021, 04:32:40 AM
Awesome!  I'm interested to know what you lose with this approach?  Setting gain, etc?

The only thing I can think of is lack of input level control.  All 3 of my sources are active, and I have their output levels matched.  They all want 0db on the input level, so I don't think I'm losing anything... except more external gear.  Of course, if you have passive instruments, or can't adjust the output levels on active gear, your mileage might vary.

kineticfx

I'm not near my unit right now... what do you have to do to a patch to select the correct input?

gumtown

Quote from: kineticfx on December 06, 2021, 11:43:08 AM
I'm not near my unit right now... what do you have to do to a patch to select the correct input?

Switch the Send/Return Loop block on/off.
Off = normal Input guitar selected.
On = Return guitar selected.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

PAH

Oh yeah, there is one other thing lost by using the returns as alternate inputs: the tuner won't work for the instruments connected to the returns.  The tuner only works on the input, which is a bummer.  In my case it doesn't matter for the piezo bridge, since it is the same instrument as the magnetic pickups connected to the input, but I have to use a separate tuner for my bass if I run it connected to a return.

kineticfx

Ahh okay.  So a few pros and cons.  I might make 10 or so of my switch to test the water.

Should also work with some Helix pedals, other boss pedals.