Recording Trouble [SOLVED]

Started by LocNine-fgn, May 18, 2013, 10:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LocNine-fgn

Finally got around to doing some recording. Every note is recorded double. One note is really short, essentially the attack. The next note is the actual performance. When I go to play back, all I hear are little thumps as the first note masks the second note. So in order for me to hear the actual performance, I must go and delete every short note. Which means moving the second note to get to the first.

I've tried reducing my sensitivity, touch sensitivity as well as pickup height.

I'm using Protools.

Any suggestions?

shawnb-fgn

If it doesn't sound like what you played, my first suspicion would be a setting in Protools, & my second suspicion would be your MIDI data flow.

I'd double-check MIDI data flow and any Local on/off settings you might have. 

If nothing turns up there, a screenshot might help, & a detailed description of what you're running.
Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

LocNine-fgn

Thanks Shawn,
It may be my signal flow. Maybe there's two channels open or something. It's just weird that one note would be really short and one regular. It's literally just the beginning of the note (the attack). The real note is layered slightly on top but just a tick after and that's why only the attack is played (sounds like "thh") and it effectively then bypasses the real note! So odd. When I play back my take all I hear is "thh, th, th, th".

Any idea where I'd check to see where my MIDI signal may have gone awry? I'm a bit of a MIDIot.

I have found a temporary solution which is gonna be a lifesaver if I can't figure out how to trouble shoot it. Turns out that in protools, that if you highlight the performance in the MIDI editor, you can simply click a note, hold, and move the mouse and it'll move those doubled-up notes and leave the others! I haven't tried to just delete them without moving them yet but that may be possible too. So in this way you can move the doubled-up notes away, place them in a blank area on the track and then simply delete them. The only thing is that the first note in the highlighted performance must have this double note phenomenon otherwise this action doesn't work.

I'll keep the board posted.

Germanicus-fgn

Its possible that the FTP is producing a midi note as you fret your next note, and then another when you strike the string with your pick, literally milliseconds apart. Is the short note slightly before the longer one?
Roland VG99
Pod HD500
JTV69, Variax 600 and 700 Acoustic
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com

LocNine-fgn

Quote from:  Germanicus on May 18, 2013, 02:18:51 PM
Its possible that the FTP is producing a midi note as you fret your next note, and then another when you strike the string with your pick, literally milliseconds apart. Is the short note slightly before the longer one?
I suppose that may be the case as well. Indeed, the short note is the one that's slightly ahead of the longer (real) note. That's why I can't hear the long note on playback because the short note encompasses the beginning of the long note and so obscures the start point of it and the program doesn't play the intended (real) note. Very odd.

Germanicus-fgn

try playing in a very deliberate staccato style, no hammer-ons, maybe try muting with your palm before you strike your next note. It may at least help determine if its a hardware/software issue or one of it just interpreting a picking style which works fine on normal guitar but not midi.
Roland VG99
Pod HD500
JTV69, Variax 600 and 700 Acoustic
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com

LocNine-fgn

Quote from:  Germanicus on May 18, 2013, 06:00:47 PM
try playing in a very deliberate staccato style, no hammer-ons, maybe try muting with your palm before you strike your next note. It may at least help determine if its a hardware/software issue or one of it just interpreting a picking style which works fine on normal guitar but not midi.
I was thinking that, I'll try that today and see if it's picking or MIDI related.

cc-fgn

I'm not familiar with ProTools, but there are two MIDI ports on the TriplePlay receiver (one is for the TriplePlay software to use). If you have both ports selected as an input to the track then you will get doubled notes. This can be fixed by making sure the track is only listening to the first port (called "TP Guitar" on Mac, and I forget exactly what on Windows).

LocNine-fgn

Quote from:  cc on May 19, 2013, 11:58:23 AM

I'm not familiar with ProTools, but there are two MIDI ports on the TriplePlay receiver (one is for the TriplePlay software to use). If you have both ports selected as an input to the track then you will get doubled notes. This can be fixed by making sure the track is only listening to the first port (called "TP Guitar" on Mac, and I forget exactly what on Windows).
Thank you sir! That was it! Much appreciated.  ;)

For anyone else in this situation using Protools:
1. Go to Setup in the menu and choose MIDI => Input devices.
2. Uncheck Fishman Tripleplay, TP Control (leave TP Guitar checked).