Apogee A/D Converters

Started by PLexxiTronic, November 15, 2010, 03:51:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PLexxiTronic

Say, does anyone know about the Apogee brand of A/D 24-bit converters--on a scale of 1 to 5, 5 being the best, where they fit in as to quality?

Basically, I picked up a product named 'One' as a portable piece of hardware to allow analog input into a Mac computer over the USB. The device is compatible with 'Core Audio' compliant applications.

I haven't had time to analyze if I have 1/4" or XLR input capability. (I know that seems dumb, but I find it easier to purchase as I go along my busy schedule and to return an item later if it won't pan out).

Thanks in advance for any (and much appreciated) help!

Elantric-fgn

They work well.

Although (IMHO) a bit overpriced for what they do.
. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

Elantric-fgn

For a similar sum of $$ i would get a Zoom H4N instead.
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/index.php

does everything the Appogee One does, (i.e. its a USB Audio Interface too)  but  in stereo
and also serves as:

* a guitar trainer

* a 4 audio channel SD card recorder

* adds stereo phantom powered XLR Condenser mic inputs that double as 1/4" guitar inputs

* Tuner / metronome

* built in monitor speaker

Just need to set the the mic gain and recording levels correctly for the best signal to noise ratio when recording with a mac app ( Logic, Garageband, Reaper, etc) as a core audio interface.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?client=firefox-a&hl=en&q=zoom+h4N&cid=17959946751136452931&ei=yNPhTO3-DoLy2wSAqPmADg&sa=title&ved=0CBEQ8wIwATgA#scoring=ts

Elantric-fgn

then again - there is always this alternative - but its more of a stand alone recorder  / music composing scratch pad(no Core Audio USB Interface functionality)

Cool none the less

Korg SOS Recorder

Elantric-fgn

Just a heads up,

If you need a decent USB Mic - on sale for 50% off  = under $50

go here:
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Snowball-Microphone-White/dp/B000EOPQ7E

PLexxiTronic

Thank you.  I will go look at it now.

Now that I've had some time to analyze Apogee One more closely, I ended up returning it.  I think it is quite a good product; but, in the end, it didn't suit my purposes.  And, I now see that it may be a bit over-priced for what it does--sort of like Mac computers.  hehehe...

I really like the suggestions Elantric made and am going to look into them next.  The Zoom H4N looks interesting and that demo of the Korg SOS Recorder was great.

Thanks again for the help.  I had a deadline to return the product and not very much time to look at it closely when it presented itself.  I probably shouldn't purchase on impulse anyway.  It's just that I'm so crammed for time, I end up having to make decisions on the run as a way of life.  That's why I find it easier to buy something when I come across it and be able to return it later after I've had a chance to understand whether or not the thing will truly meet my needs at a reasonable price.