Variax 2 info out....

Started by Germanicus-fgn, March 24, 2010, 11:25:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric-fgn

I fell into a good deal on the POD HD500, will be here thursday, and I'm seriously looking at acquiring the JTV69 too.

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

MCK-fgn

Great going! Based on how present & responsive Line 6 is on various platforms I think it is the right company to be buying from now. Hope you get the JTV69 soon as well.
Dark Fire Initial Check Out  - Q/A
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31267.0

Caig DeOxit - Buy now before you need it !!!
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=31707.0

Elantric-fgn

Darn, i just heard back from line 6. the JTV-69 will not be available until jan. or feb. 2011

MCK-fgn

Germanicus-fgn

Quote from:  Elantric on November 17, 2010, 10:23:04 AM
Darn, i just heard back from line 6. the JTV-69 will not be available until jan. or feb. 2011

US or Korean?
Last I heard they were in their first Korean production run right now....

:'(

P.S.
Line 6 just released a firmware update for the jtv and the new workbench.

Roland VG99
Pod HD500
JTV69, Variax 600 and 700 Acoustic
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com

Elantric-fgn

The Korean  JTV69 is what I was seeking.

If anyone else hears about an earlier date of arrival- post it here!

Johnnyurq-fgn

As far as is known the first Korean JTV's are rolling off the line now and have been since about a week or so ago.

Rich Renken updated the JTV twitter feed with a picture (can't find the link at present).

Check the following thread and in particular the last few pages as dates are discussed.

http://line6.com/community/thread/33890?start=255&tstart=0

UK stores like Andertons are stating November 30th is when they come in stock.

The last we heard from Rich Renken was that he was off to Korea to help oversee the first production models and apart from the picture on Twitter he has not updated or changed his estimate of the Beginning of December for most folks.

As Germanicus said Vettaville are reporting that a new version of the JTV user manual is available to download along with the JTV firmware and a new version Workbench for JTV and HD500 use.

http://line6.com/community/thread/33890?start=270&tstart=0

I hope that Jan/Feb 2011 is not correct as I have been waiting since they first announced pre-ordering was available.

Germanicus-fgn

New workbench works great with the hd500 and my variax 600.
Roland VG99
Pod HD500
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com

BobbyD-fgn

i finally got my Tyler Variax JTV-69 US model.....and it's amazing.

the guitar itself is REALLY good. just like a Tyler, both in playability and tone. even with the VAX electronics off, it sounds great.

the VAX 2 electronics are a big step forward, i have already done some studio work with it, and it sounded really good in the studio, even the 12 string patch, which was a problematic sound with the first gen VAX.

alt tuning is on a knob, and is not model dependent anymore, woohoo! i can dial in ANY tuning i want, and i do a lot of stuff in open tunings, so that's a huge plus for me.

i will be doing some demos soon, if anyone has any questions, just let me know!

Elantric-fgn

Please post some demos!

I assume you are a beta tester?

Most of us have been told no Korean JTV69's until January 2011

http://line6.com/community/message/205460#205460

dreambig33-fgn

How would done use this with a VG99? Or is it really designed for PODS.

Germanicus-fgn

You can stick a gk pickup on it like practically any other guitar, and then connect the variax's output to the gk's input to route the signal to the vg99.

That said, the JT Variax, like all variax's can interact with certain pod's (those that have VDI jacks) and this allows the pod to 'control' the settings in the variax (model selection/tone knob setting). Its no more degree of control that the vg99 affords when using a gk pickup.
Roland VG99
Pod HD500
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com

Elantric-fgn

USA online retailers are now stating "Jan. 24, 2011" arrival date for the Variax JTV69.

If you already have one, post a review?

Germanicus-fgn

Musicians friend told me Jan 10th for a shipment to go out.

In related news, it seems they are raising the prices considerably. MF still has the 'original' price on sale, but sweetwater and others have bounced up $200.

Glad I purchased mine already.
Roland VG99
Pod HD500
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com

Germanicus-fgn

MF has shipped my jtv69 (korean). I should have it Friday evening.  :o
Roland VG99
Pod HD500
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com

Elantric-fgn

Post a review / 1st impressions.

I assume you also have a POD HD500?

2010Limited-fgn

My JTV 69 is supposed to get here tomorrow (Friday the 7th) also.  Got it off eBay on New Years' Eve!

Germanicus-fgn

Quote from:  Elantric on January 06, 2011, 08:53:10 AM
Post a review / 1st impressions.

I assume you also have a POD HD500?

Will do, and yes I have a pod hd500 (which im very pleased with except for the exclusion of the nice modelled console preamps that were in the x3 series - these were particularly great with the variax's acoustic tones).
Roland VG99
Pod HD500
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com

Elantric-fgn

QuoteI have a pod hd500 (which im very pleased with except for the exclusion of the nice modelled console preamps that were in the x3 series - these were particularly great with the variax's acoustic tones).

Same here. i got a HD-500  but did not realize that the typical Line-6 stuff (Guitarport, Gearbox, Podfarm) do NOT work on the HD300/400/500, and yes, I miss the modeled studio Mic Pres that are included in my 2008 era Line6 Gearbox Gold DI

Germanicus-fgn

OK i received my jtv69. Ill do an extensive write up and compare it to my other variaxs (300,600, and acoustic 700) as well as my vg99 probably tomorrow.

Intial impression is its a very nice guitar. No noticeable blems or quality issues. I did need to go into workbench and equalize the output of each piezo to be more balanced (the low 'e' string was noticeably lower in output than the others). It feels substantial. I like the look of it quite a bit, its nicely done. Neck is a little thicker than I would like, but its comfortable.

The alternate tuning knob is as billed, extremely easy to dial in your own tunings and save them to the knob. Takes about 20 seconds to do and you dont need to use workbench (which comes with the guitar now). Less artifacts. Also much less latency with the alternate tunings.

They have changed the acoustic models somewhat, not sure if im pleased with those changes. It feels different. I dont want to comment too much until I really A/B them with the previous generation.
Roland VG99
Pod HD500
Traynor k4

www.steamtheory.com

Elantric-fgn

Last November at the AES trade show, I played the Korean JTV-69 thru a POD HD-500 for 30 minutes.

My complaint was the side mounted recessed Alt Tuning dial, exclusive to the JTV-69

On the guitar I played,  I found the Alt tuning knob a bit too awkward to use with consistent results.
If I tried to rotate it, it tended to land in an unintended tuning position, and I would have to back step and hunt for my intended target tuning. Makes it a bit impossible to use mid song, say for an open tuned slide solo.

I wished the JTV-69  Alt tuning knob was the same as they use on the other Tyler Variax's.

Frankly, I wish they were not so beholden in the attempt to make the  JTV-69 resemble a strat, with the three control knobs.

Anytime I play a stock Strat, I'm always accidentally changing my volume, due to the poor location of the volume knob.       

Elboy

My boy solved the volume/hand contact issue on his guitar with a very innovative low cost solution - - see photo!
Gibson Dark Fire DF 2053 (currently very healthy, although the paint on the pickups is coming off!!!)
Epiphone LP custom EMGs
Eastwood Airline
Gretch projet
Ibanez AELL40SERLV
Hughes and Ketner 25 anniversary 20watt tube amp

cgarlie-fgn

Quote from:  Elantric on August 23, 2010, 04:03:08 PM
Which Model did you order?

Which vendor did you order this from?

I did mine at Sweetwater -- $1129 shipped -- but still waiting to hear if my preorder was in the four or so that they got. Several more are (so the rep said) suppose to come this week.

Charlie
Gibson Digital Les Paul (HD-6X)
PRS SC245 (57/08)
Gibson '83 Lucille
SRV Custom Strat
"Claptonized" 60th Anniversary Strat
PRS SAS
(Original) Dan Armstrong "See-through"
Variax JTV-69

MCK-fgn

Quote from:  Elboy on January 07, 2011, 03:13:25 PM
My boy solved the volume/hand contact issue on his guitar with a very innovative low cost solution - - see photo!

That boy of yours will certainly go far. He's figured first half of the most important law of DIY already at this tender age...

"If it doesn't move, and it should, use WD40. If it moves and it shouldn't, use duct (duck) tape."