Rare Adrian Belew in Rome 1980

Started by Elantric-fgn, June 24, 2009, 06:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric-fgn

Rare Adrian Belew in Rome 1980 (post Zappa, Bowie - pre King Crimson)

Talking Heads - Live in Rome 1980 - The Great Curve

Talking Heads - Live in Rome 1980 - 11 The Great Curve

and

Talking Heads - Live in Rome 1980 - Born Under Punches

Talking Heads - Live in Rome 1980 - 10 Born Under Punches

. . . the future ain't what it used to be . . .

panrixx

Great clips, I really enjoyed those  :)

vanceg-fgn

I had a VHS copy of this at one point. Adrian really makes the show for me - just wonderful.  It's my favorite Talking Heads video, yes, indeedy.

Vance

simont-fgn

Hey Vanceg, newbie, moderator  ;). Thought I'd welcome you seeing as this is your first post.
Looking forward to exploring the DF and VG99 with you

Simon

shawnb-fgn

I saw Belew play with Bowie at the Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA.  It was either the Serious Moonlight tour or possibly the Sound & Vision tour.  In all honesty, Belew stole the show; in my mind he completely upstaged Bowie (which says a lot - I'm a huge Bowie fan).   

Belew's extended intro to Stay was unbelievable.  He had the stage to himself for a few minutes; it became his song.  (If anyone knows of any recording/video of Belew playing an extended Stay, I'd appreciate the forward!)   

I followed Belew heavily long before then, had all of his solo albums, saw him do a solo performance (possibly with the Bears, mid '80s, Wolfgangs in SF?   Damn I'm getting old...).   In Wolfgang's he 'played' feedback similar to the 'Born Under Punches' video - but I swear he took it much further & actually pulled a melody out of it...  I'd never seen anything like that before - or since...

Way back then I remember reading that he didn't use many effects at all - mainly a chorus, overdrive and an awful lot of guitar abuse. 
Dogmatic attachment to the supposed merits of a particular structure hinders the search for an appropriate structure.
- Fripp

Johnnyurq-fgn

I thought this may be interesting to you all.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170365097162

Ouch on the price though, it would be about £7000 with carriage and import taxes etc for the UK.

Elantric-fgn

QuoteIf anyone knows of any recording/video of Belew playing an extended Stay,

not quite and Extended version of "Stay" -but still worth watching:

Elantric-fgn