Kemper Double Tracker effect

Started by thebrushwithin, September 09, 2021, 08:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebrushwithin

The free upgrades that Kemper continues to provide are just fantastic examples of a manufacturer actually listening to and delivering their customer's many requests!! And all of this continues after its release 10 years ago!! And now they release the Double Tracker effect! Great, great company!!!

rockmancentralbob

I've been doing more or less the same thing with a dual delay for a while now.
Add a 20 to 40 ms delay to only the right side and you have the double tracker.
Add some modulation and chorus to the delayed signal and you have pretty much a basic stereo chorus (better if you add about 10% cross feedback to the left side).

Then they added the delay widener, which again, is pretty much the same thing, though it was a little better at putting the direct signal panned to the left.
It's a cool effect, I guess, but not that much different than what we already had the ability to create.

I have a Helix coming in tomorrow, and I expect it's going to run rings around the Kemper, at least in the effects department.
I do love the ease of profiling an amp with a Kemper though..... that's the heart of their tech and one area where they are very, very good!
Which is why I'll probably be holding on to my Kemper rack in case I want to use it with the Helix for Amp profiles.

admin

Helix is obscene how bad the basic built in Amp /Cab tones are -I wanted to use a JTV Variax and Helix for DSP Alt tuning  on the fly. Forced to use SY-1000 or GP-10 instead ,as either have superior Amp tones vs Helix

thebrushwithin

The SY 1000 is truly the best combo with my Kemper, that I have experienced. Previously, I did own an HX stomp for a while, which was ok, but the sound and flexibility of the SY is just superior, IMO.

admin

Quote from: thebrushwithin on September 10, 2021, 01:31:53 PM
The SY 1000 is truly the best combo with my Kemper,

That seems to be the route I'm headed as well
- currently update firmware on KPA to to the latest 8.6 beta , with the now working Rig manager I'm re-evaluating this combo for my new band which covers a lot more sonic territory than my old Surf band 

rockmancentralbob

Quote from: admin on September 09, 2021, 06:02:39 PM
Helix is obscene how bad the basic built in Amp /Cab tones are -I wanted to use a JTV Variax and Helix for DSP Alt tuning  on the fly. Forced to use SY-1000 or GP-10 instead ,as either have superior Amp tones vs Helix

Interesting.... I do respect your opinion on this as the admin and also because of your vast experience in this area.

That said, I've heard some pretty tones of people using a Helix, so although I most likely agree with you regarding the "stock" amp tones, I do believe it is most likely quite possible to get tones very close, if not equal to, the Kemper, especially given all of the capabilities within the Helix to allow you to get there.  IE- EQ's, crossovers, cabs, IR's.  At the end of the day, 99% of the tone you get is from the way you drive/filter your signal before and after your clipping.  As I said though, I do believe the Kemper makes it MUCH easier to just capture a sound, which is why I'm not selling mine yet.

There were 2 main reasons I bought a Helix:
1) The way it integrates with a Variax guitar
2) The effects and flexibility of panning/routing that it allows you to do, which IMHO is FAR greater than that of the Kemper.

I figured I've been eyeing the JTV-89F for a quite a long time, so why not try it out and see if I get a feel for it?  Now that I have the JTV-89F, I am a bit concerned about the neck.  On paper, it's only a few mm off from my PRS (supposedly), but it sure feels noticeably thinner.  It reminds me of my Jackson Dinky Reverse, and my hand would cramp up a bit after playing it for a while.  From what I've seen so far, there aren't really any options for swapping the neck out for a more comfortable one without taking it to a luthier.  Please advise if anyone knows of any.

Which is why I've also gotten the Ghost Hexpander board for my Ghost LB6 loaded PRS, which I could use with my GP-10 before the Helix (or Kemper).  Personally, I tend to favor this option over the JTV guitars since the Boss stuff sounds great, newer units are still coming out that provide a lot more functionality than just the Variax guitars on their own, and I can use them with virtually any guitar by adding a GK3, Ghost LB6/Resomax, or other hex type pickup.

I just got very frustrated with the Kemper because, although the profiling sounded incredible, the in/outs and the limitations of the effects really got to me.  When I see how much you can do with the Helix, creating parallel paths, panning, etc, I just decided I'd give it a try.  We shall see......

admin

Quote from: rockmancentralbob on September 11, 2021, 12:38:57 PM
Interesting.... I do respect your opinion on this as the admin and also because of your vast experience in this area.

That said, I've heard some pretty tones of people using a Helix, so although I most likely agree with you regarding the "stock" amp tones, I do believe it is most likely quite possible to get tones very close, if not equal to, the Kemper, especially given all of the capabilities within the Helix to allow you to get there.  IE- EQ's, crossovers, cabs, IR's.  At the end of the day, 99% of the tone you get is from the way you drive/filter your signal before and after your clipping.  As I said though, I do believe the Kemper makes it MUCH easier to just capture a sound, which is why I'm not selling mine yet.

There were 2 main reasons I bought a Helix:
1) The way it integrates with a Variax guitar
2) The effects and flexibility of panning/routing that it allows you to do, which IMHO is FAR greater than that of the Kemper.

I figured I've been eyeing the JTV-89F for a quite a long time, so why not try it out and see if I get a feel for it?  Now that I have the JTV-89F, I am a bit concerned about the neck.  On paper, it's only a few mm off from my PRS (supposedly), but it sure feels noticeably thinner.  It reminds me of my Jackson Dinky Reverse, and my hand would cramp up a bit after playing it for a while.  From what I've seen so far, there aren't really any options for swapping the neck out for a more comfortable one without taking it to a luthier.  Please advise if anyone knows of any.

Which is why I've also gotten the Ghost Hexpander board for my Ghost LB6 loaded PRS, which I could use with my GP-10 before the Helix (or Kemper).  Personally, I tend to favor this option over the JTV guitars since the Boss stuff sounds great, newer units are still coming out that provide a lot more functionality than just the Variax guitars on their own, and I can use them with virtually any guitar by adding a GK3, Ghost LB6/Resomax, or other hex type pickup.

I just got very frustrated with the Kemper because, although the profiling sounded incredible, the in/outs and the limitations of the effects really got to me.  When I see how much you can do with the Helix, creating parallel paths, panning, etc, I just decided I'd give it a try.  We shall see......

My Helix Tone complaint revolves around its flat lifeless tone using the AES/EBU derived RJ45 CAT5 "VDI"(Variax Digital Input,

Helix 1/4" Guitar  input is a different story, I can get acceptable guitar tones used that-due to its defineable Input Impedance ( a sorely missing feature on the VDI input

rockmancentralbob

Quote from: admin on September 11, 2021, 05:27:22 PM
My Helix Tone complaint revolves around its flat lifeless tone using the AES/EBU derived RJ45 CAT5 "VDI"(Variax Digital Input,

Helix 1/4" Guitar  input is a different story, I can get acceptable guitar tones used that-due to its defineable Input Impedance ( a sorely missing feature on the VDI input

Oh, I guess I missed that since you mentioned the "Amp/Cab tones", not the "flat lifeless tone" that results from using the Variax guitar input.  At one time you seemed to be quite happy with your JTV-59 that you were using for your surf band.  Based on this new revelation, I assume you would recommend using the GP-10 over the Variax guitars (JTV-59, 59P or 89F) for guitar modeled sounds and alt tunings?

Honestly, for me I'm chasing down this rabbit hole for only a few parts that need a 12 string or 6 string acoustic, and a single song that needs alt tuning (Hitch A Ride, which is a step down, I believe).  Like I said, the Helix does have more capabilities for routing and effects though, so that's another reason.

Unfortunately, the Helix I just bought won't connect to my computer no matter what I do.  Windows 10 says it's there, but then it can't maintain the USB connection.  It's very frustrating because I have the money to throw at this, but I still can't seem to get anything to work correctly even after I buy it.  I bought the GP-10, but can't fit the damn GK3 pickup on on PRS or my Gibson Les Paul's after I put the Stetsbar tremolo (to solve the no tremolo issue) on them.  I buy the JTV-89F for the Floyd and 24 frets, but it has a super thin neck.  Now you're saying it's pretty much gonna sound like ass anyway.

Can't seem to catch a break...

whippinpost91850

What about if you move the rear humbucker slightly forward

admin

QuoteAt one time you seemed to be quite happy with your JTV-59 that you were using for your surf band.

Still -do - using only 1/4" output into typical guitar pedal board > Guitar amp - never with Helix

IMHO - my old 2003 Vetta Combo's VDI Input with original Variax sounds 300% better than the JTV Variax and Helix on latest firmware

Here are the available Helix controls  - it might be the Helix VDI Input Noise Gate, and its default settings are creating dynamic havoc and tone suck with my Helix  Variax Tones
  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1aJZ9eOGuI8I_b6t9HH_lmn6N17LkbYIJV8OuQAwgaEs/edit?usp=sharing

Live Ive used the GP-10 the most , with my Godin as I was backing a female singer who used several different tunings circa 2015-2018 - and required 3 minute setup / teardown during our 15 minute songwriters showcase gigs   - GP-10 was perfect for this task  - straight to PA
Ive never used the Helix at a Live show,  - as I detest bulk of its tones,  - its been getting better with latest Firmware - but after spending this weekend with my Kemper, I'm placing that at the top of the pack for tone and feel and control for most situations
I'm going to get back on track with the Antares ATG mini box =  a converted ATG Internal kit which can be used with any GK13 guitar - might install the ATG DSP board in a modified PrimovaSound GX-2 - as I need dynamic on the fly pitch bends  - evaluating VG-99, GP-10, Antares, JTV  - but must sound great, be compact / robust / easy to use and reliable ( which cancels use of Mustang GT/GTX 

The Antares and Roland / Boss provide sonic options not possible on any Variax  -  Like B Benders and psuedo Steel Guitar multibenders mid song 
VG-99 Pedal Steel
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=694.0

- Antares ATG Floor is the best for this, but its way too big -and the ATG Internal Kit is a mono version of the ATG Floor  - all same functions   

rockmancentralbob

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on September 12, 2021, 06:33:19 PM
What about if you move the rear humbucker slightly forward

It's the PU Ring that is blocking it on the one side and the Floyd Rose Tremolo on the other side.
On the Gibson's, it's the PU ring and the Stetsbar tremolo on the other side making it too thin.
It's simply too narrow to fit the GK3, unless I remove the PU ring completely.
Even then I'm not sure it will fit.

That's why I went ahead and got the Hexpander for the PRS since I already have the LB6 Floyd and Acoustiphonic in it.
I can use the Hexpander to drive the GP-10 for the very few places I plan on using it, and I figure it will be fine.