SY1000 not in stereo?

Started by thebrushwithin, June 03, 2021, 02:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebrushwithin

Ok, after doing every troubleshooting basic I know of, cables, speakers, etc., I discovered my SY1000 is not putting out a stereo sound, it is right channel dominant, and by a lot!!! Cannot find any real panning parameter to work with. Even when you look at the tiny output meters on the display, one side is showing 4 times the volume as the other. On a lead sound, panning all the way left is a clean signal, but as soon as you move it towards the right pan, the lead sound starts showing
However, factory patches seem fine as far as L/R output. All of my balancers are set center 100/100.
Any suggestions on what I'm missing, maybe some panning parameter I may have missed?

gumtown

Left/Right Stereo Link in Main and Sub outputs?
If the stereo link in "on" then L/R is a stereo image, if stereo link is "off" then the Left and Right become independent mono outputs.
Not sure if this is related to your issue.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

thebrushwithin

QuoteLeft/Right Stereo Link in Main and Sub outputs?
If the stereo link in "on" then L/R is a stereo image, if stereo link is "off" then the Left and Right become independent mono outputs.
Not sure if this is related to your issue.
Thanks, that is the only stereo parameter I know of as well, but still hasn't solved the issue.
This one has me stumped.

BROCKSTAR

Did you do anything in the assign matrix? Like have divider ch select engaged or mixer a/b balance engaged or mixer a/b pan engaged etc.. etc.. Hit CTL and then assign settings and check to see if anything like that is assigned to a footswitch or midi control etc.

admin

Upload the problem patch for other SY-1000 users can try /debug/provide feedback

thebrushwithin

Thanks very much to everyyone who tried to help!!!
So, I fooled around with the patches in question and found what appears to be a solution.
In every one of my user patches, I copied the basic setup (branches, etc.) ,so that they would basically have a similar layout, to avoid confusion as I assigned switches, which explains why each of them had the same problem.
So, I assumed if I found the problem in one user patch, I might solve them all, and indeed it did.
So, even though I wasn't utilizing the divider/mixer function, it was placed at the end of the top 3 branches, before they join to the master branch. Since it wasn't utilized, I ignored any affect it might have on my problem. So, as a last resort, I moved it past the master output on the final branch, and just like that, everything was in stereo!!!
Still don't know why, but grateful it was solvable, just still curious as to why that would affect the stereo image.

gumtown

Just add it to the SY-1000 Firmware fixup Wish List, I'm sure it will be fixed soon.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

jozart

The Divider and Mixer (pg. 64) and three Balancers (pg. 65) are always enabled.

Perhaps an addition to the Troubleshooting section (pg. 96) would help those who read/search the manual.

jozart

I think this is worth adding to Top Things to Know here, as well as to the Troubleshooting section of the manual.

The default INIT PATCH contains a DIVIDER in SINGLE mode selecting Channel A paired with a L50:R50 MIXER. If the input to this SINGLE DIVIDER is stereo, Channel B will be removed, which halves the volume, and Channel A will be mixed to stereo.

thebrushwithin

Yes, when I figured out this problem, it changed the sound big time!!!
Until I figured that out, I had to disassemble my rig, and troubleshoot everything from the ground up.

aliensporebomb

I wonder if there's a reset to factory default because mine never had that issue - it was always stereo to begin with. 

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

jozart

Quote from: aliensporebomb on June 07, 2021, 01:27:04 PM
I wonder if there's a reset to factory default because mine never had that issue - it was always stereo to begin with. 

Interesting. What I did above with latest firmware was to WRITE INITIALIZE a preset and then take a screenshot.

Ebenezer

Quote from: jozart on June 05, 2021, 05:57:16 PM
I think this is worth adding to Top Things to Know here, as well as to the Troubleshooting section of the manual.

The default INIT PATCH contains a DIVIDER in SINGLE mode selecting Channel A paired with a L50:R50 MIXER. If the input to this SINGLE DIVIDER is stereo, Channel B will be removed, which halves the volume, and Channel A will be mixed to stereo.

Thanks for pointing this out. This makes a huge difference in the sound of various patches in SY1000. It's these types of minor details in Roland/Boss multi-effects pedals (especially the synthesizers), that are often easily missed/overlooked among so many available options in setting up a patch in these devices. I don't know why Roland did not make the optimized choice for the default state in this case. Thankfully, this forum is highly useful to figure out solutions for such glitches.